Lutron LZL4BWHL01 zigbee remote - discovered but can't do anything else

I’m trying to use this zibgee remote control to turn on and off a Sylvania smart plug. I have discovered the Lutron in openhab but I don’t seem to get any events from it.

Here is a link to it:

I have a raspberry PI running openhab with a usb stick that does zwave and zigbee, a cree light bulb, a Sylvania smart plug, and the Lutron. I can control both the light and smart plug from openhab just fine (although they do go offline at random times). But I can’t seem to get anything out of the Lutron other than it being discovered.

I have created the .items, .sitemap, and .rules files and they all work with the bulb and plug. I now want to control the plug with the Lutron.

How do I debug this to see what the Lutron is sending? I have some log output that mentions the Lutron but usually not about anything successful.

Enable debug logging within the namespace com.zsmartsystems.zigbee. This should log all the low level packets to the dongle and I’m happy to take a look at the logs once you have them.

Ok, where should I put the log files? As individual files or in a single zip file?

I tried to upload the log files in a zip file but it won’t let me.

I held down the power on button on the remote for 10 seconds (according to the instructions) while I was running the ZigbeeConsoleMain application. I cut these snippets from the log (I cut individual lines, they didn’t happen all at once)

22:49:43.105  DEBUG  [     ember.ash.AshFrameHandler] No frame handler created for AshFrameData [frmNum=5, ackNum=3, reTx=false, data=0F 90 46 01 80 C1 B8 21 01 C8 4A FF FF FF FF 9C 05 23 3F FF E7 0F 00 FF FF 0B 00 0B 00 10 5E C0 11 00 00 20 02 5C 37 02 12]
22:50:06.256  DEBUG  [     ember.ash.AshFrameHandler] No frame handler created for AshFrameData [frmNum=6, ackNum=3, reTx=false, data=0F 90 46 01 80 FF BF 21 01 C8 62 FF FF FF FF 9C 05 23 3F FF E7 0F 00 FF FF 0B 00 0B 00 10 5E C0 11 00 00 DE 72 68 2F 02 12]
22:50:48.398  DEBUG  [     ember.ash.AshFrameHandler] No frame handler created for AshFrameData [frmNum=5, ackNum=4, reTx=false, data=19 90 46 01 80 FF BC 21 01 C8 79 FF FF FF FF 9C 05 23 3F FF E7 0F 00 FF FF 0B 00 0B 00 10 5E C0 11 00 00 47 47 BE 49 02 12]
22:51:39.669  DEBUG  [     ember.ash.AshFrameHandler] No frame handler created for AshFrameData [frmNum=2, ackNum=4, reTx=false, data=21 90 46 01 80 FF BD 21 01 C8 8F FF FF FF FF 9C 05 23 3F FF E7 0F 00 FF FF 0B 00 0B 00 10 5E C0 11 00 00 B2 3D 74 64 02 12]

It seems like it’s looking in the handler hashmap for a handler for 0x46 but can’t find one. According to the spec 0x46 is macFilterMatchMessageHandler which is supposed to handle a raw MAC message that has matched one of the application’s configured MAC filters. It should be in response to a callback command. But I get this message only when I hold down the “on” button on my remote. Strange.

Feel free to open a ticket on my website (www.cd-jackson.com) - you’ll need to register, but then you can attach files up to 10MB I think.

I doubt that the debug mesage you raised are an issue here - I think they are messages saying that the packet was sent and this just isn’t used in the binding at the moment. I’ll confirm that though, but I’m 99% sure that’s the case.

Ok, done.

I think I saw a mention somewhere of a zigbee network monitor or sniffer or something like that. I’m using the ZigbeeConsoleMain application for that but if there is a better one out there I would love to use it.
Thanks!

A sniffer isn’t required - what I’m asking for here is to log the messages that the controller is seeing. The binding does this already if you enable it.

The logs I sent you came from the binding with debug enabled. I was just also hoping for a generic sniffer tool that I could use for my own curiosity,

There are sniffer tools around - you can use a TI stick with Wireshark if I remember correctly (although to be honest I didn’t have great success with this). Personally I use a Silabs sniffer, but the devkit is “not low cost” to put it mildly - there are probably a number of others…

So it’s definately strange that you’re getting this message since I’ve not configured any mac level filters. I can only assume that one is configured by default in the software version that’s in your stick (I think it’s quite old?). I can only assume that it’s not a valid Zigbee packet - or maybe it is, but it’s somehow rejected as otherwise we should also see the incoming message handler being triggered - this is the normal input from the stick.

I would suggest to try and decode these frames manually to see what they are. I’m guessing they are a ZDO message, but that’s a total guess.

Clearly given that you have some information from the device (eg the name etc) it has communicated ok with the binding at some stage. Can you have a look in the userdata folder to see if there’s an XML generated? I can’t remember if I have this enabled or not at the moment, but it’s worth a look.

I’ll take a look. I’ll be out of town for a few days so I’ll check when I get back to that machine.

I’ve also added a handler for this - just to improve the logging and provide something a little nicer to look at. I still don’t process the message since I don’t want to handle mac level frames directly, but let’s see what we find…

A little more investigation seems to show these frames are ZLL frames - so it might be difficult to integrate into an HA network.

Ok, so it looks like I simply bought the wrong switch. Hard to find exactly which profile or standard these devices support sometimes. Anyone know of an inexpensive simple push button like this one that talks HA over ZigBee?