M3 testing results

update
After over a month of testing there seems to be a few outstanding issues. I will try to list the ones with a link to the github issue. If I miss anything please ping me and I’ll add it here.

REST documentation
(thanks Anders for link)

Also possibly relevant

And even if the REST docs work, a warning shows up in the logs upon upgrade with fix here

Hue emulation
(thanks Danny for link)

also possibly relevant

SSHD
(thanks weakfl for link)

embedded mqtt broker

VS code LSP connection
(thanks Sebastian for link)

Peter also reports a problem with samsungtv binding with workaround in this post below

This is my addons.cfg:

package = expert
remote = true
legacy = true
binding = http1,exec,caldav-command1,mqtt1,astro,expire1,systeminfo,mqtt,gpstracker,samsungtv,network,darksky,mail,chromecast,amazonechocontrol,groheondus
ui = basic,classic,habmin,habpanel,paper,restdocs
persistence = influxdb,mapdb,rrd4j
action = telegram 
transformation = exec,javascript,jsonpath,map,regex,scale,xpath,xslt
misc = market,hueemulation,openhabcloud,ruleengine

Very smooth start up. Best since a long time. Only issues are transformations not installed before rules or items start running or updating. Maybe get these to install first?

One thing NOT working is the restdcos interface. I still get this:

I recall there is a conflict between some addons and the api documentation I think it has something to do with the Jackson version required?
I saw a comment that was not resolved in M3.

The REST issue is still being worked on:

1 Like

Bindings I use : deconz, hue emulation, tradfri, mqtt, Astro

Issues I found are these and I had to stop my testing until this issue with hue emulation resolved. https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/issues/6042

The short story is when going past the m2 version my hue emulation stop functioning with my echo. When I revert back to m1 it all works agin.

Other than this one say no issues.

Does it work in M2? M1 is from the old build system before ESH was integrated into OH. Any fixes going forward are based on M2 or later issues.

@Bruce_Osborne m2 and m3 both have similar symptom for me.

Alexa will not always discover devices and if she does she can’t control them.

My addons.cfg looks like:

:org.apache.felix.configadmin.revision:=L"5"
action=""
binding="ntp,samsungtv,sonos,exec,network,astro,avmfritz,http1,openweathermap,homematic,mqtt"
felix.fileinstall.filename="file:/var/lib/openhab2/etc/org.openhab.addons.cfg"
legacy=B"true"
package="expert"
persistence="mapdb"
remote=B"true"
service.pid="org.openhab.addons"
transformation=",regex,exec,map,jsonpath,javascript,scale"
ui="paper,basic,restdocs"

Hardware: RPi 3b

###############################################################################
###############  openHABianPi  ################################################
##        Ip = 192.168.178.49
##   Release = Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
##    Kernel = Linux 4.19.66-v7+
##  Platform = Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
##    Uptime = 0 day(s). 16:9:53
## CPU Usage = 0% avg over 4 cpu(s) (4 core(s) x 1 socket(s))
##  CPU Load = 1m: 0.11, 5m: 0.10, 15m: 0.10
##    Memory = Free: 0.15GB (16%), Used: 0.79GB (84%), Total: 0.95GB
##      Swap = Free: 0.09GB (100%), Used: 0.00GB (0%), Total: 0.09GB
##      Root = Free: 23.31GB (83%), Used: 4.68GB (17%), Total: 29.21GB
##   Updates = 0 apt updates available.
##  Sessions = 1 session(s)
## Processes = 114 running processes of 32768 maximum processes

Welcome to            __  _____    ____  _
            ____  ____  ___  ____  / / / /   |  / __ )(_)___ _____
           / __ \/ __ \/ _ \/ __ \/ /_/ / /| | / __  / / __ `/ __ \
          / /_/ / /_/ /  __/ / / / __  / ___ |/ /_/ / / /_/ / / / /
          \____/ .___/\___/_/ /_/_/ /_/_/  |_/_____/_/\__,_/_/ /_/
              /_/
                  openHAB 2.5.0~M3-1 (Milestone Build)

Java:

[14:09:53] hab@openHABianPi:~$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_222"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu8.40.0.178-CA-linux_aarch32hf) (build 1.8.0_222-b178)
OpenJDK Client VM (Zulu8.40.0.178-CA-linux_aarch32hf) (build 25.222-b178, mixed mode, Evaluation)

After a second restart of the system, everything’ seems to be ok.

Hmmm. I know that the developers tried HARD to not introduce any new issues between M1 & M2. Perhaps you should open an issue for this on GitHub

Issue opened, link above.

1 Like

No problems to report. I’m actually on the snapshots from a couple days ago but my comments should also apply to M3.

Version: 2.5.0 Build #1686

add-ons:

• paper
  • basic
  • habmin
  • habpanel
  • habot
  • resdocs
  • mapdb
  • influxdb
  • map
  • jsonpath
  • regex
  • javascript
  • xslt
  • openhabcloud
  • market
  • ruleengine
  • zwave
  • astro
  • expire1
  • network
  • http1
  • mqtt1 # I’ve still a couple of Items I’ve not moved to the 2.5 binding yet pending some other changes I want to make first
  • zigbee # still no devices yet so it’s installed but not really being used yet
  • networkupstools1
  • nest
  • mqtt
  • openweathermap
  • mail

I noticed a lot of new entries in the log and discovered that there are a bunch of new stuff added to the logging config. Once I downloaded the latest config file and re-added my customization the logs are back to normal.

NOTE: For fellow Docker users, after upgrading look in $OH_USERDATA/logs/update.log. All the important notes that apt-get users get (e.g. list of breaking changes like the REST Docs moving to the UIs category) are saved there.

The container also prints this to stdout so it will show up if you start the container in the foreground (undetached) or when showing the container logs using the command: docker logs CONTAINER

1 Like

I just upgraded and everything seems to be working well again. I had to restart a few times and clean-cache but after that all works.

I’m using the following bindings:

• Air Quality
  • Astro
  • Broadlink
  • Exec
  • Icloud
  • Kodi
  • Logreader
  • Network
  • OpenWeathermap
  • Jointspace1
  • Mqtt1
  • Sonos
  • Systeminfo
  • Telegram binding
  • Tradfri

Is that considered normal for upgrades? I know I needed to do that from M1 to M2 but I also removed some manual bindings.

Not sure if it is considered normal, but I always have to do it…

1 Like

Not normal, but after clearing the cache, you need to restart twice to have OH startup properly. There was a seemingly related issue opened, but it was closed. Another issue should be opened for this.

Thanks for mentioning this. I always upgrade through Ansible so wouldn’t have noticed unless there was an error.

1 Like

Just looked in the logger, I found this warnings:

2019-09-13 19:53:49.892 [INFO ] [rnal.service.RemoteControllerService] - Using WebSocket interface
2019-09-13 19:53:49.962 [WARN ] [l.protocol.RemoteControllerWebSocket] - Problem connecting to remote websocket
org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.protocol.RemoteControllerException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: WebSocketClient@161718803 is not started
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.protocol.WebSocketBase.connect(WebSocketBase.java:77) ~[242:org.openhab.binding.samsungtv:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.protocol.RemoteControllerWebSocket.connectWebSockets(RemoteControllerWebSocket.java:175) [242:org.openhab.binding.samsungtv:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.protocol.RemoteControllerWebSocket.openConnection(RemoteControllerWebSocket.java:156) [242:org.openhab.binding.samsungtv:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.service.RemoteControllerService.start(RemoteControllerService.java:202) [242:org.openhab.binding.samsungtv:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.handler.SamsungTvHandler.checkCreateManualConnection(SamsungTvHandler.java:281) [242:org.openhab.binding.samsungtv:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.handler.SamsungTvHandler.checkAndCreateServices(SamsungTvHandler.java:220) [242:org.openhab.binding.samsungtv:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.handler.SamsungTvHandler.thingDiscovered(SamsungTvHandler.java:333) [242:org.openhab.binding.samsungtv:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.internal.DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl$1.run(DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl.java:265) [139:org.openhab.core.config.discovery:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.internal.DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl$1.run(DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl.java:1) [139:org.openhab.core.config.discovery:2.5.0.M3]
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.internal.DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl.thingDiscovered(DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl.java:262) [139:org.openhab.core.config.discovery:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.AbstractDiscoveryService.thingDiscovered(AbstractDiscoveryService.java:279) [139:org.openhab.core.config.discovery:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.upnp.internal.UpnpDiscoveryService.remoteDeviceAdded(UpnpDiscoveryService.java:190) [244:org.openhab.core.config.discovery.upnp:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.jupnp.registry.RemoteItems$1.run(RemoteItems.java:114) [228:org.jupnp:2.5.2]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: WebSocketClient@161718803 is not started
	at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.client.WebSocketClient.connect(WebSocketClient.java:337) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.client.WebSocketClient.connect(WebSocketClient.java:312) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.client.WebSocketClient.connect(WebSocketClient.java:294) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.protocol.WebSocketBase.connect(WebSocketBase.java:75) ~[?:?]
	... 16 more
2019-09-13 19:53:49.979 [WARN ] [l.protocol.RemoteControllerWebSocket] - Problem connecting to artmode websocket
org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.protocol.RemoteControllerException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: WebSocketClient@161718803 is not started
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.protocol.WebSocketBase.connect(WebSocketBase.java:77) ~[242:org.openhab.binding.samsungtv:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.protocol.RemoteControllerWebSocket.connectWebSockets(RemoteControllerWebSocket.java:182) [242:org.openhab.binding.samsungtv:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.protocol.RemoteControllerWebSocket.openConnection(RemoteControllerWebSocket.java:156) [242:org.openhab.binding.samsungtv:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.service.RemoteControllerService.start(RemoteControllerService.java:202) [242:org.openhab.binding.samsungtv:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.handler.SamsungTvHandler.checkCreateManualConnection(SamsungTvHandler.java:281) [242:org.openhab.binding.samsungtv:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.handler.SamsungTvHandler.checkAndCreateServices(SamsungTvHandler.java:220) [242:org.openhab.binding.samsungtv:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.handler.SamsungTvHandler.thingDiscovered(SamsungTvHandler.java:333) [242:org.openhab.binding.samsungtv:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.internal.DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl$1.run(DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl.java:265) [139:org.openhab.core.config.discovery:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.internal.DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl$1.run(DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl.java:1) [139:org.openhab.core.config.discovery:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.internal.DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl.thingDiscovered(DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl.java:262) [139:org.openhab.core.config.discovery:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.AbstractDiscoveryService.thingDiscovered(AbstractDiscoveryService.java:279) [139:org.openhab.core.config.discovery:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.upnp.internal.UpnpDiscoveryService.remoteDeviceAdded(UpnpDiscoveryService.java:190) [244:org.openhab.core.config.discovery.upnp:2.5.0.M3]
	at org.jupnp.registry.RemoteItems$1.run(RemoteItems.java:114) [228:org.jupnp:2.5.2]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: WebSocketClient@161718803 is not started
	at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.client.WebSocketClient.connect(WebSocketClient.java:337) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.client.WebSocketClient.connect(WebSocketClient.java:312) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.client.WebSocketClient.connect(WebSocketClient.java:294) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.protocol.WebSocketBase.connect(WebSocketBase.java:75) ~[?:?]
	... 16 more
2019-09-13 19:53:49.997 [WARN ] [l.protocol.RemoteControllerWebSocket] - Problem connecting to V2 websocket
	at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.protocol.RemoteControllerWebSocket.connectWebSockets(RemoteControllerWebSocket.java:188) [242:org.openhab.binding.samsungtv:2.5.0.M3]
	... 16 more

I’m not very experienced, but for me it looks like, if something’s wrong with the samsung-Binding. Isn’t it ?

appears to be
Was this right after start up Peter?

Hi Andrew,
thx for reply.
No, not after startup.This is the first time, I saw this Warning. Maybe it’s happend when I switched on the TV, but I’m not shure.

Sometimes I got another Log, but as ERROR from the AVM-Binding

------------------------------------------------- AVM - fritz ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019-08-13 23:04:49.960 [ERROR] [nal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler] - An error occurred while calling method 'ThingHandler.initialize()' on 'org.openhab.binding.avmfritz.internal.handler.BoxHandler@18debca': null
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
	at org.openhab.binding.avmfritz.internal.handler.AVMFritzBaseBridgeHandler.initialize(AVMFritzBaseBridgeHandler.java:140) ~[?:?]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:?]
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?]
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:152) [133:org.openhab.core:2.5.0.M2]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.Invocation.call(Invocation.java:53) [133:org.openhab.core:2.5.0.M2]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:?]
2019-08-13 23:04:49.972 [ERROR] [core.thing.internal.ThingManagerImpl] - Exception occurred while initializing handler of thing 'avmfritz:fritzbox:Fritz-Box-7490': null
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
	at org.openhab.binding.avmfritz.internal.handler.AVMFritzBaseBridgeHandler.initialize(AVMFritzBaseBridgeHandler.java:140) ~[?:?]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:?]
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?]
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:152) [133:org.openhab.core:2.5.0.M2]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.Invocation.call(Invocation.java:53) [133:org.openhab.core:2.5.0.M2]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:?]

This error occurs sometimes(not always) after startup since I’m on 2.5.M2. For that I gave a hint to @cweitkamp.
In that case one only has to restart the bundle via karaf.(as a workaround, for the moment).

But the WARNING of the Samsung-Binding I saw for the first time.

Somtimes I get other WARNING/INFO-Messages from the Logger

2019-09-13 01:11:57.779 [INFO ] [rnal.service.RemoteControllerService] - Using WebSocket interface
2019-09-13 01:17:13.294 [WARN ] [org.eclipse.jetty.io.ManagedSelector] - java.nio.channels.ClosedSelectorException
2019-09-13 01:17:13.299 [WARN ] [l.protocol.RemoteControllerWebSocket] - WebSocketClient failure: java.lang.InterruptedException

Maybe there’s a correlation ?

Cheers,
Peter

EDIT: When restarting the bundle, I can see these messages in the Logger:

2019-09-14 00:15:02.112 [WARN ] [core.thing.internal.ThingManagerImpl] - Disposing handler for thing 'samsungtv:tv:TV_UE46ES6300' takes more than 5000ms.
2019-09-14 00:15:07.188 [WARN ] [core.thing.internal.ThingManagerImpl] - Disposing handler for thing 'samsungtv:tv:0d1cef01_00dc_1000_960f_90f1aac88a51' takes more than 5000ms.