Magenta Smart Home Binding

Hi,
I’m newbie, no neeed to say, i think :slight_smile:

Is there a binding somewhere to integrate the Magenta smart home version2 (qivicon) box?

And any suggestion for a cool looking touch wall switch with at least 4 actions definable?

I’m using a blank openHAB 2.0 on a pi 2 (openHABIAN image) looking for integration of my smart home box with some first plugs, smog detectors and actors connected and my broadlink for some older 433 and ir stuff…
Thank for any advice,
Ralph

The Qivicon devices will work, but only under certain circumstances.

Thanks, seems this is designed for qivicon base 1

What would the benefit of such a binding be? Apart from DECT, all supported technologies are available in openHAB.
IMHO, best approach is to remove the Magenta SmartHome box and connect the devices directly to openHAB.

Just for the records. Support for DECT ULE devices will be possible soon in combination with a FRITZ!Box.

Hmmm, seems I’m missing something. Sure, OH can integrate e.g. homematic via other generic gateways or the vendor specific ccu. but that’s no reason for me to deny a binding for qivicon. if they manage to deliver a single api to connect to different vendors, then a binding makes sens to me.

just to be clear, i’m just wondering about the clear denial of the benefit not about discussion if it is necessary or the next needed integration or stuff like that…

It could be a nice step towards less technical users, cause the qivicon makes multi vendor integration a small step easier to handle for end customer… I’m just starting with openHAB and really like the idea behind it, as far as i see. So just looking around and asking some stupid questions… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you aware of qivicon and openHAB sharing the same core, names Eclipse Smart Home (ESH).
So for example, the Sonos Binding is an ESH binding, which is identicilay available on both sides.
What I was saying, You can add a Z-Wave and/or Zigbee Stick to your openHAB server and have the same devices of that technologie on both.
Looking at the first Magenta Smart Home box, it did the same, adding technologies through „Sticks“.
In my personal opinion, I would prefere adding all to my openHAB server rather than bridging to a second box.

Just my 2 cents.

You’re right, I have to agree after my first hours with OH…

My situation is more “try and error” and pay the price :slight_smile: I just started with a qivicon (version 2), then add a broadlink for other devices (IR/RF) and now hopefully take a look at openhab to bring them all together in a usable software and home automation center…

Might be helpfull if you list what devices/technologies you are using, so others could give some „best practice“ tips.

The small zoo which I want to integrate under openHAB is:

• Telekom Smart Home (qivicon 2.0) with devices
    – 3xHM-Sec-SD-2 Homematic Smoke detector
    – 5xOSRAM Smart Plug+

• 3xBroadlink RM pro+ for several RF 433MHZ and IF controlled lights, leds, switches

• HERA ZigBee lights

• ABTO Alarm System with several window and door contacts and motion detector

• Alexa

And I’m looking for the best practices and suggestions to complete the set of actors for all my lights and remove all the classic switches with nice looking touch screen switches (like livolo VL-C304)…

So every suggestion is welcome!

Sorry for replying that late.

Regarding the discussion I have to say that a Qivicon binding would indeed be helpful. Also It makes not much sense (apart from maybe power consumption) to replace an existing Qivicon box with at least three different communication standards with USB sticks or something else, which all need additional setup steps in order to make them work properly. Also I think there is currently no stick for Homematic?

I understand that Qivicon is a bit of a competitor, but support for the hardware would be pretty cool.
I even thought about installing openHAB directly on a Qivicon Box which is sold for as low as 17€ nowadays. Benefit would be native support of the Homematic protocol. Unfortunately the box is pretty closed, so probably very hard, if even possible.

That’s not cool, that’s nonsense. Getting OH to run on the Quivicon HW would be a lot of work if possible at all (IIRC they have 256MB RAM only, and my OH java needs about two times that already).
And is does not even make sense because that HW is not even as powerful as a Pi, and a (new!) Pi is just 35€.
OH supports Homematic devices, too, either by means of a CCU as gateway or even directly with a stick and homegear SW addon.

1 Like

With support for the hardware I actually meant a binding for Magenta Smart Home or direct way to control the device. I don’t want to purchase a CCU or Stick if I have a Qivicon base already.

But the part afterwards was indeed about installing OH directly on the device.
Regarding your answer to that:

• Cost: 35€ is only for the Raspberry Pi, you still need a case, power adapter and micro SD card. Also a CCU or Stick for Homematic functionality. This will probably result in an overall cost of over 50€ which is about three times of the price for the Qivicon device.
  • Performance: Ok, I did not know the specs of the Qivicon device. However I had a running OH installation on a Raspberry Pi 1 with 256 MB RAM. It runs, although it could be faster of course.

So In my opinion this is not nonsense. However the effort might be too big in comparison to a Raspberry Pi based setup. But then I still support the suggestion for a binding.

And btw you’re comparing apples to oranges, a new Qivicon base is not 17€, you’re probably talking about a used one.
I wouldn’t see why anyone would want to put that much work in just to save you that couple of bucks.

A binding is even more of a nonsense. Qivicon technically is more or less the same as openHAB: it is a master system to control devices and subsystems such as KNX or ZWave. But it is not meant to be a subsystem itself to be controlled by someone else. Controlling Qivicon through openHAB won’t work well (at least not without major limitations and implications) just as you cannot control an openHAB instance by another openHAB instance.
Again, you want someone to start and put lots and lots of work into that just to save you a couple of bucks?
Get realistic, please, and honor what the developers have already done for you by providing openHAB for free.

2 Likes

I am not. It is listed as new: https://www.amazon.de/Deutsche-Telekom-99923800-Smart-Home/dp/B014VB5UIU
But that was just a quick search on Amazon. Actually you can get it for 10€: https://www.ebay.de/itm/TELEKOM-SMART-HOME-BASE-SMART-HOME-LEICHTE-BEDIENUNG-STEUEREINHEIT-/201543395092

I don’t know how much work that actually is. The systems are rather similar, so the biggest problem will probably be to get access to the terminal of the HomeBase via ssh. Maybe there is a dev willing to do this for himself, not just for me. If not, fine. Maybe also I will try to achieve it.

From a technical point I might agree (although I am not sure, since in fact the HomeBase currently is controlled by the Magenta cloud already, also I think it is technically possible to control openHab instances through myopenhab? But thinking about that seems a bit weird indeed).
However looking from a user perspective: At least me and the OP already own such a device. So it would be nice if we can continue using its capabilities instead of needing to invest more money.

First: I never said that I don’t honor the work already done by the developers. I don’t know why you bring this up, I thought this forum is also for binding suggestions (which all require work)?
Then: I see a benefit from it and think I am not the only one. Every binding needs effort of course, so I also don’t really understand that point of you. I did not said that I expect anyone to do it.

As far as I know, you need to pay monthly fees for using the home base, so just do a quick calculation comparing investing into the needed hardware for unning your devices under openHAB or renting the service by Telekom.

There is a free Basic Plan: https://www.telekom.de/zuhause/smarthome/geraete/magenta-smarthome-basic
However I don’t know whether one can link the cheap hardware that I linked above (which does not contain a license afaik) with this plan and also don’t know whether this plan is enough for controlling via a hypothetical binding. However I am pretty sure that it both is possible.

Just looked that up because I was interested in the specs. Turns out it has 512 MB RAM, however the processor is a bit weak. Almost the performance of a 1st gen Raspberry Pi however.

• 1-Core ARM v11, 600 MHz
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 2 GB Flash

Source: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/presentation/546f/d86d3b2ff5f0320fa0d811ebbbf436927ae5.pdf

As the link reads, it has limited functionality and is for trying only.

Yes, but probably enough

No, it just states it is ideal for trying, not only :slight_smile:

Should have added more information for clarification. Afaik the Base plan still allows unlimited connected things but has limitations for automation and stuff like that. Also see https://www.smarthome.de/basic-upgrade and https://www.teltarif.de/telekom-magenta-smarthome-basic-kosten/news/68603.html