MagentaTV Binding may not control volume

I have installed MagentaTV Binding using OpenHAB 3.3 but I can’t controll neither volume nor mute. When using Openhab Alexa skill the Echo tells “Das weiss ich leider nicht”.
I have setup remote control of my MR201 receiver, not setting volume on receiver but setting volume on TV (Please look at documentation of MR401/MR201 receiver).
Is this setup the reason of the “mal”-function?

I cannot hello with the magenta binding, but maybe worth to differentiate of the issue is related to the magenta binding or only related to alexa.

What’s happening when you change the volume via the item withing the openhab ui directly? Will this work?
Also, as per the documentation, there is no volume channel and you can only send key codes for volume up and down.

Sending key code “VOLUP” and “VOLDOWN” to the receiver is increasing/decreasing volume of the receIver. So it’s not an issue of the MagentaTV bindung.
But: You should not use this possibility if you have changed setup of the receiver’s remote control to control volume and mute of the TV.

I have investigated metadata “television.VolumeLevel” and “television.VolumeStep” of the Alexa skill:
“television.VolumeLevel” may associated to number items. I have added a number item even if it’s not supported by MagentaTV binding
“television.VolumeStep” may associated to strings. I have added a string item and added the definitions of volume up and down
Result: all Volume commands but “mute” are changing the number item associated to “television.VolumeLevel”. You need a rule which translates changes of number item to sendCommand of key code “VOLUP” or “VOLDOWN”.

Conclusion: It isn’t an issue, but we may need some hints when using combination of MagentaTV Binding and Alexa skill.

Have you tried to use the volumeStep attribute instead of volumeLevel, as this will expect a string and not a number?

If you just use VolumeStep Alexa says OK but keys “VOLUP” resp. “VOLDOWN” are not sent to magentaTV receiver.

What’s happening with the item / what do you see in the log file, if you use volumeStep?

I have removed device “television” in the Alexa App.
I have removed item “volume” in openhab.
Item volumeLevel kept meta data Television.VolumeStep.
I have added device “television” in the Alexa App again.

Now the “Utterance examples” of “VolumeStep” are succeeding :grinning:
Sample output in log file:
2022-08-26 16:08:24.658 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent ] - Item ‘volumeStep’ received command VOLDOWN
2022-08-26 16:08:24.661 [INFO ] [penhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Item ‘volumeStep’ predicted to become VOLDOWN
2022-08-26 16:08:24.664 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘volumeStep’ changed from VOLUP to VOLDOWN

That should solve your issue, as you can link the item to your magenta thing

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.