Mailing Binding javax.mail.MessagingException: [EOF]

Hi Guys,

I’m running OpenHAB2.5.3 on a Mac, using the Mail binding to send email notifications to Gmail. Sending of emails intermittently fails with the subject error, whilst on other occassions the messages are delivered. When it fails these two lines appear in the log:

2022-03-24 11:20:33.529 [WARN ] [ab.binding.mail.internal.SMTPHandler] - Sending the email to the following server failed : smtp.gmail.com:465
2022-03-24 11:20:33.529 [WARN ] [ab.binding.mail.internal.SMTPHandler] - javax.mail.MessagingException: [EOF]

Can anyone please suggest what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

David.

Searching for

several hits return similar solution proposals like: Log In - Deepnet Security Technical Guides

How does the content of your /etc/hosts file look like ?

1 Like

Thanks @Wolfgang_S. I’m away from my system at the moment so can’t check, but do I just need to ensure it contains the line:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Is it strange that without this it would work sometimes but not others?

Cheers,

David.

@Wolfgang_S, My /etc/hosts file is as follows:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1	localhost
255.255.255.255	broadcasthost
::1             localhost 
fe80::1%lo0	localhost

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

David

Similar as in the example that is shown on the linked webpage I have an additional entry for the host ( pi ):

127.0.1.1	pi
1 Like

Thanks @Wolfgang_S. Added that and it appears to be working reliably now. Still seems strange that it worked at all before?

Cheers,

David.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.