Map file on globalcache serial binding

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: RaspberryPi model3
    • openHAB version: 3.3.0
  • Issue of the topic:
    GlobalCache iTachIP2SL configuration.
    I did everything on the UI. The binding found all my devices. Added the IP2SL one.
    Created a switch item linked to the (only) channel of the device.
    Created a simple map file in the transforms directory:
ON=PWON%0D
OFF=PWSTANDBY%0D

Tried 2 (exclusive) methods for the mapping:

1. assign the map file in the Thing creation screen (I assume designed by the binding)
  2. assign the map file in the Item screen of the switch under Channel Links/Profile->MAP

Nothing seems to work. No error messages either.
Surprisingly, if I put a non existing file in the Thing screen, it does not throw any error.
The Item screen disallows that.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help and patience, I am just starting.

You don’t mention having installed the optional MAP Transformation add-on?

The GlobalCache binding says that it is loaded automatically and it is indeed there.

To give more background:
I have also a Contact Closure unit and it works very well. The setup is very easy and the communication works fine.
Regarding the Serial device,I have set up the logtail feature and I see the ON, OFF signals being “broadcast” but nothing else. No errors.
I also use the iTest app from GlobalCache to send the command to the device directly, and my receiver (a Denon) reacts accordingly.

The map file goes into the transform directory, and the name of the map file (including the .map extension) goes into the IPsSL thing configuration.

This needs to be an item of type String…

Thank you very much Mark, the item as a string made it work.

If I may ask, what is the difference? I would have thought that a switch is simply a string item sending ON and OFF strings.
Also (I know it’s a general question), is there a way to test string items by entering the string in the Item screen, rather like switch can be turned on and off on its Item screen?

More importantly, thank you for the GlobalCache binding, it is really use to use.

A Switch item uses ON and OFF “commands”. So in the case of a Switch item, ON and OFF are not strings.

Not that I’m aware of.

Glad to hear it’s working well for you.

Is there a profile that can be used on an Item of type Switch that sends strings “ON” and “OFF” instead of “commands”? Can’t find one but I assume this is the idea behind profiles?

Yes, that’s the general idea of how you might use a profile. Unfortunately, I’m not familiar enough with profiles to know if there’s one that can be used do that.