Max! Cube loses all settings with OpenHab

Hi all,
Here is the feedback after having done what is explained in this thread during two months.
Result : everything is working perfectly, I didn’t encounter any issue such as lost of configuration… and I can see on my graphs that it’s doing the job !!!
so thank you guys for your help and for the binding !
My wife is very happy because she feels well, so I got +10000 points on the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) :slight_smile:

@marcel_verpaalen, I have two other suggestions for the binding features, based on the same principle than the one you used for the new channel type… Not sure it is possible, but here are the suggestions :

• Feature to request a reboot of the Max Cube, using directly an item (instead of going in PaperUI)
  • Feature to reset the number of Duty Cycle. Indeed, as I have a lot of radiators (17), I have a lot of limitations concerning the number of commands I can send within one hour. For example, sending a command to all radiators takes around 55% of Duty cycle, so I quickly reach 100% with other rules such as “stop heating if the window is opened”, “relaunch heating if the window is closed”, …

I guess the first suggestion is not too hard to develop, but for the second I’m not sure it will even be possible to develop it if you don’t have any interface available.
If it’s not possible, I would be easy to create a simple rule in order to reboot the cube depending on the level of Duty cycle.
Does it make sense ?

Thanks again for all

1 Like

Happy to hear it’s working for you now.

Disagree. There’s usually no need for a reboot and if there really is, it’s an administration task not a user one, so PaperUI clearly is the (only) right place.
Also disagree on the duty cycle. We mustn’t mess with, in the end it’s mandatory by law.
You won’t need to program rules to stop heating if a window is opened, it’s autonomously done if you use MAX! window sensors. And you can tweak the response times etc. so you can reduce the number of messages if you really need to.

Hi @mstormi,

It was just two suggestions… to discuss about :slight_smile:

OK, you’re right on the fact than the first suggestion is not a user one, so it doesn’t have to be in another place than PaperUI… I totally agree !

Concerning the duty cycle, I don’t understand why you said “it’s mandatory by law”… What is defined in the law ? the number of authorized duty cycle per hour ? or the fact that a number of duty cycles have to be set per hour for ecological reasons ? I totally understand the second one, I’m not saying that’s unnecessary, I’m just saying that the number defined in the Max! cube today doesn’t take into account large houses… I know I have the opportunity to buy a second Max! cube, but is it ecological :face_with_raised_eyebrow: ?

Concerning your remark saying “You won’t need to program rules to stop heating if a window is opened, it’s autonomously done if you use MAX! window sensors”. It is likely you’re right, but I don’t have these MAX! windows sensors, and I won’t buy any of them as I already have sensors thanks to my alarm system. The purpose of OpenHAB solution is precisely to provide a huge interoperability :slight_smile:

I can tell you I already optimized communications between openHab and MAX! cube, in a logical and ecological way, but sometimes I need more percent on the duty cycle. It was the idea of the suggestions.

Whatever, I’m very happy to use this binding :slight_smile:

@schnibel

Duty cycle is a restriction by law.

See here:

wow !!! @Celaeno1 and @mstormi… I’m really impressed by your knowledges guys !
This evening, I’ll go to bed a little less dumb as usual :wink:

Hi, Marcel,

it happend again so I tried setting of the M message as we’ve discussed. Unfortunatelly, the L: message is still missing.

The first telnet call when the error occurs:

telnet 192.168.95.215 62910
Trying 192.168.95.215...
Connected to 192.168.95.215.
Escape character is '^]'.
H:XXXXXXXXX (obfuscated)
M:
C:XXXXXXXXX (obfuscated)
L:
q:
Connection closed by foreign host.

Then I tried to set the M message as follows:

Trying 192.168.95.215...
H:XXXXXXXXX (obfuscated)
M:
C:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (obfuscated)
L:
m:00,VgIDAQpMaXZpbmdSb29tFRZeAgdCZWRSb29tFRSwAwhCYXRoUm9vbRUWVgcDFoF1TkVRMTIwMzcxORFXYWxsIFRoZXJtb3N0YXQgMQEBFRZeTUVRMTgxODIxMhVSYWRpYXRvciBUaGVybW9zdGF0IDEBAxaBBk5FUTEyMDMxNjkRV2FsbCBUaGVybW9zdGF0IDECARUUsE1FUTE4MTc4MjEVUmFkaWF0b3IgVGhlcm1vc3RhdCAxAgMWetZORVExMjAxNTkyEVdhbGwgVGhlcm1vc3RhdCAxAwEVFlZNRVExODE4MjEwFVJhZGlhdG9yIFRoZXJtb3N0YXQgMQMBFRYjTUVRMTgxODE1MBVSYWRpYXRvciBUaGVybW9zdGF0IDIDAQ==
A:
q:

And after that, the L: message is still missing.

telnet 192.168.95.215 62910
Trying 192.168.95.215...
H:XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (obfuscated)
M:00,01,VgIDAQpMaXZpbmdSb29tFRZeAgdCZWRSb29tFRSwAwhCYXRoUm9vbRUWVgcDFoF1TkVRMTIwMzcxORFXYWxsIFRoZXJtb3N0YXQgMQEBFRZeTUVRMTgxODIxMhVSYWRpYXRvciBUaGVybW9zdGF0IDEBAxaBBk5FUTEyMDMxNjkRV2FsbCBUaGVybW9zdGF0IDECARUUsE1FUTE4MTc4MjEVUmFkaWF0b3IgVGhlcm1vc3RhdCAxAgMWetZORVExMjAxNTkyEVdhbGwgVGhlcm1vc3RhdCAxAwEVFlZNRVExODE4MjEwFVJhZGlhdG9yIFRoZXJtb3N0YXQgMQMBFRYjTUVRMTgxODE1MBVSYWRpYXRvciBUaGVybW9zdGF0IDIDAQ==
C:XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (obfuscated)
L:
q:

Note: Messages in telnet communication with small letters (q: and m:) are sent by me to the cube (outgoing message).

The restoring of the room info went fine.it has all your rooms back (3 rooms, 7 thermostats). But… unlike @schnibel you only get a single C: line, right? ( this would be the cube itself)

In that case indeed it is more corrupted than only the room info. There is no known way to restore the linking info (that I’m aware of) ones the cube ‘forgets’ it.

Hi,

I’m glad that you have made it and it works! All of us want too)))

The was a lot of infos in this theme last time. Can you please explain all of us, what exactly have you done?

We all will be very grapefull!

Thanks a lot!

Yes, just a single C: line. Ok then, I will just have to reprogram it once in a while :-/

Hi @thisisIO, yep… no problem… here is what I have exactly done :
At the present time, everything seems to be OK after a full reset by doing these steps :

1. Remove all thermostats things using OpenHAB
  2. Stop Max OpenHAB binding using Karaf
  3. Factory Reset of the Max! Gateway
  4. Factory Reset for each Thermostat+
  5. Pair all thermostats (One thermostat per room) using MAX! Software on MacOSX
  6. Remove internet access using MAX! Software on MacOSX
  7. Stop Max! software
  8. Start Max OpenHAB binding using Karaf
  9. Configure Gateway to be in exclusive mode + refresh interval to 30 seconds
  10. Add Thermostats things which have been automatically detected

And it works like a charm :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

Is must be made only on MacOS? If i have only Windows…

The MAX UI runs on Java, too, so you can run it everywhere your OH runs (although I haven’t heard of anyone trying with Linux).

Thanks i know it, but schnibel wrote about MacOS

Hello

And till now you have no problems with it?

Hi, Marcel

If you want to ger this problem, set polling to 1-3 sec and non ecxclusive mode. At least it was my situation.
I have Max! system for about 5-6 years, used it always with Max!Remote and original windows software.
I have NEVER had this problem.
But since i started to use OH (2 weeks) i got it!
I set polling to 3 sec because i wanted to use windows sensors as entrance door sensors, but if it will loose settings every time, will go back to 30 sec and exclusive mode, if it helps.

By the way, have you made Backup and Restore feature?
It would be extremeley usefull!

Thanks a lot!

Alex, and no issues till now or not?

Thank u.
And one thermostate in one room?
You have no window sensors at all?

NO issues since I wrote this. I have 8 window contacts, 11 thermostats, 1 wall thermostat and 1 eco switch.

Thanks a lot for your answer!
And how did you configured it:

1. One thremostat in one room or more?
  2. Overall more then 10 rooms configured or less?
  3. Polling interval - 30 seconds or more/less?

Thanks one more time)

10 rooms (in 8 of them 1 thermostat, each room) in 1 room 3 thermostats, two window contacts and 1 wall thermostat. 1 room with 1 contact only.
Polling intervall: default

This is exact the problem… the device can’t handle that speed and will corrupt at some point.
The original FW also does not request as such a rate. Go to 30 sec and exclusive and you have way less chance that this happens,. (mine never had this corruption since 5y)

I think this is not really usable unless you replace your cube with maxCul type of connection instead of the cube due to its response times.

Hm, so with maxCul i can use smaller polling rate with no problems?
How do you thing in common - is this maxCul better then Cube or it have also another problems?