May be a stupid question

If something is worth doing it’s worth doing it right, whether you’re getting paid for it or not. The complete lack of cogent documentation I’ve experienced with two open source projects and a commercial home automation hub leads me to believe that it’s deliberate on the part of those who want to make money offering professional home automation installation services. The defensive attitude my criticism is met with, here and elsewhere, is confirming my suspicions.

You figured it out! It’s all a big conspiracy! It can’t possibly be that home automation is freaking hard and requires a lot of time, effort, trial and error, and preserverance to succeed. No, instead we’re all conspiring to take will2568’s money, despite the fact that very few of the volunteers here have anything to do with commercial home automation.

openHAB is software that is produced by volunteers and offered for free (free as in gratis and free as in freedom to do with it as you please). We don’t owe you anything. It is what it is and if you won’t contribute you can take it or leave it.

I feel sorry for self centered and self entitled people. They are never happy, can never be happy, it’s always someone else’s fault, and they are never satisfied until they make everyone around them as miserable as they are.

4 Likes

More than 2, you missed out tasmota and esphome you seemingly had documentation issues with

I’m not the one to blame for the fact that your forum is overrun with people complaining about the bad documentation. You should have seen the writing on the wall when Amazon Echo and Google Home hit the market. It’s only matter of time before people using those platforms become aware of the privacy and performance issues associated with those and other cloud services. The demographics of home automation are changing, and so is the target audience for the documentation. Keep up or get left behind.

Thanks for reminding me. Now would you please stop stalking me all over the internet? You’re giving me the creeps.

Sorry you follow the same forums. but i will keep calling our your behaviour in each i see you in

Snowflake, nah. you wish
Calling out people who think their entitled, yep every time
my work in this profile here is done, see you in the next one

2 Likes

I see your a celebrity over on the home assistant forum.

1 Like

As you said, there are a lot of users who’ve read your posts, including wiki’s. Getting relative so little questions afterwards is a huge compliment about the quality already.
Writing docs is not an easy job, complaining about something existing is.

Edit: keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Im a user of openhab now for more than years without any need for community Question because of the docs. Now I had to write my first question. What I’m saying: You all doing a great job!

Thank you!

3 Likes

I can honestly say that the support here is excellent.
As it’s been said, this is free, by volunteers. Read and understand as much as you can, then ask for help and be a little patient. Every system is different, find a problem and solve it, make your own docs so you can go back to if needed as it probably doesn’t apply to ANY other user.

The docs are not perfect (far from it for some things), but, you can bet if you Google something that’s not clear then there will already be a forum topic about it

1 Like

My two cents on that one, openhabian (1.6.1) and openHAB (2.5.10) are not the same.!

Then why are they on the same website and why are they calling it openhab when it’s openhabian?

I shouldn’t have to google anything. The instructions should cover everything new users like me need to know.

The docs are not up to your standards and never will be. openHAB is not up to your expectations and probably never will be. So why are you still here?

It should be pretty self evident by now that home automation is hard. Perhaps too hard for you. You will never be able to just pick up a step-by-step guide and be able to create your home automation yourself. So either:

• give up
  • pay someone
  • or put in the work like the rest of us have

No one is going to do it for you, especially after your behavior on this thread (and elsewhere apparently). If that’s not good enough for you, well the Rolling Stones said it best. “You can’t always get what you want.”

3 Likes

You haven’t spent the minimum amount of work needed on your (or everyone’s in fact) part to understand the ecosystem. Combining that with your ignorant and agressive attitude as exposed here, here and on other forums, may I ask you to please leave this forum yourself before we have to kick you because of an overwhelming amount of user complaints. Thank you.

5 Likes

If Google, Amazon, Tuya, and others can make home automation easy, so can openhab, home assistant, and hubitat. The fact that they don’t is telling.

How can I do the work when I can’t even put the image file on an SD card without getting an error message that the image file is missing a partition table?

You are obviously living far from reality and don’t have the slightest feeling for equivalence - besides your missing empathy and ignorance… Hope you’ll find something that will make your life better in the future. Merry christmas and stay healthy!

1 Like