Memory leak with Nikobus in 1.7.1?

Mark, any news on this. I’m not a Nikobus Openhab user yet but was planning to start installing in a few weeks. I have switch module, dimmer modules, lots of blind modules, audio module PC-logic and Link, 2 binary input modules (so overall a fairly big installation). So if there is a major issue I better have a look before getting into this.

Rohnny,

No improvement yet. I already tried increase the auto-refresh time, but no difference.
I wll try to connect it to the PC-link module instead of the PC-logic module and will let you know the result.
Today I also asked the support team of Niko what the best way is to connect, and they let me know that you can’t use the link to a PC to control the Nikobussystem. It can only be used to program it…
I asked them thay maybe the feedback-module is an option, but the same answer…

Marc

Marc, don’t expect any help from Niko. They will do everything to prevent people from opening up Nikobus and Niko Home control. So they will tell you it doesn’t work or you shouldn’t connect. But the issue you’re experiencing is not related to the Nikobus connection or whichever module you use. PC-Link or PC-Logic should not make a difference. The connection is just a communication with your openhab, so the Nikobus is not cuasing the memory leak, it must be something in the Openhab or binding

Marc, mocht je toch twijfelen aan de Nikobus respons en gezien je toch een pclink en pclogic hebt probeer het volgende eens. Wanneer je PI2 gecrasht is probeer dan eens met de nikobus software te connecteren en via de software de lichten te schakelen (je ziet de modules rechts boven en je kan daarop klikken). Indien de nikobus reageert, wat i vermoed want anders zouden je schakelaars ook niet meer werken ben je 100% zeker dat het je Openhab/PI is die het probleem vormt.

Rohnny, het crashed zowel PI2 als onder windows. Nikobus crashed dan niet en ook de verbinding niet want ik kan nog steeds de commando’s via OpenHab sturen naar Nikobus. Enkel de terugmeldingen op Openhab komen niet meer binnen. Zowel de autorefresh (staat om de 600sec), als de refresh dat ik doe als ik een schakelaar indruk.

I tested it with version 1.3.1 with the same result.
Is the anyone where the feedback keeps on working?
Only the commands are stille working after a couple of hours.

I have tried it now also with the PC-link module, with same result…
Unfortunately I can’t use Openhab, because of the feedback that stops working after a while.

I also have issues with Nikobus feedback on rpi2 on 1.7.1
After some time the feedback of switches is not correct anymore.
Pushing a nikobus button does not reflect in openhab. all is ok after a reboot for some time

So, that’s the same problem that I have…
I first was thinking that’s it was the firmware of my PC-logic module or my PC-link module, because nobody had the same problem.
I already put my RPI2 just beside the module with a short cable, because normaly I have a cable of 10m to my router. But the result was the same.
But now you confirm that you have it also…
For me it also works again after restarting openhab.

I’m not sure if it is openhab issue or nikobus binding related issue. Can’t remember that this occurred with 1.7.0 and lower versions of openhab

Hello,
I’ve been reading this thread with much interest since I plan to purchase a Nikobus module especially for this.
Openhab + nikobus binding seems to be the only way to “open” my Nikobus installation to new non Niko technology.

Has anyone found a solution for this feedback issue?
Did a rollback to version 1.7.0 solved the problem?

I’m thinking of a dedicated RPI running openhab 1.7.0 + Nikobus binding conected to a main openhab server using MQTT.

looking forward to your feedback.

Regards.

Hi,

I didn’t try a rollback to 1.7.0, but one to 1.3.0 , and the problem was also there…
So I suppose it is also in 1.7.0.
Just to be sure, I will try a rollback to 1.7.0 tomorrow.

Regards

1.8.0 snapshot also has the issue. The problem has maybe been introduced with openhab runtime 1.7.1?
Did not upgrade runtime to 1.8.0 snapshot yet

Reported the issue in Github: https://github.com/openhab/openhab/issues/3456

Hereby I can confirm that the problem is also in 1.7.0 :cry:

Hi Marc,

Thanks for clarifying.
To be sure you have tested 1.7.0 runtime and 1.7.0 nikobus bindings right?

Pascal,

Yes it was tested with 1.7.0 runtime and 1.7.0 nikobus bindings.

I also have send an email to Davy Vanherbergen, the author of the nikobus binding, and he doesn’t have the problem in 1.4…
I will ask him again that he can check it in 1.7.1

Marc

Marc, what is the version number of your switch module?

Davy, the module is 05-000-02. Where can I find the version number?

That is the version number. The old one was version 05-000-01.
Did you ever get an outofmemory exception? if not, there is no memory leak.

Your log shows:

java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: No ACK received within timeout and retry count.

This means that openHAB sent a request for an updated status to your nikobus module, but it never received a response from your nikobus module. If you enable debug logging, you should be able to see what commands are being sent on the serial bus. Posting debug logging could help to troubleshoot the issue.
As you mention that you can still send commands to the nikobus, this would indicate that the serial connection is still working, which would seem to indicate your switch module is misbehaving.
Do you only have one nikobus module? If you have more than one, does the issue occur with both?