Migrate binding from 2.5.x to 3.0

Hi all,
Is there any roadmap about migrating bindings from OH 2.5.x to 3.0?
Do I have to do something about a binding that I usually maintain and add features to?
If yes - when? Is there going to be a mass-communication or something related to that?

Cheers,
K.

1 Like

I am a new user to OpenHab and I am wondering if I should wait for the 3.0 release.
If 3.0 is close to horizon, I might go through a whole lot of trouble upgrading my bindings, things, items, rules from 2.5 to 3.0 after just using it for a few weeks/months.

Could someone give a clue about where the 3.0 project is and how the upgrade roadmap looks like?

We have a script that ports all bindings from OH 2.5 to OH 3.0. When the release is closer, we’ll use that to port everything from the openhab-addons/2.5.x branch to openhab-addons/master, together with the newly developed OH 3.0 addons (like persistence and some other that use newer features).

We do not expect that manual action is necessary. Testing would be highly appreciated after the port is done to ensure that everything works as designed.

Regarding the time for the release: I do not expect OH3 to be released before Q4/2020. Since most addons will not have breaking changes for OH3, I don’t think that the upgrade will cause major issues. So from my POV there is no need to wait for OH3. If you start now, I would suggest to use the new rule-engine (use the forum search) and code your rules in python or javascript. No major change is expected regarding the processing of these rules.

1 Like

Thank you for your information!
I will start with the new rule engine. :smile:

This may help…

1 Like

OK Thanks. Where can I see the planned features and the backlog of OH3?
Maybe I can help there as well…

You can find the openHAB 3 Issue Tracking on the openHAB GitHub page. It’s probably not complete. Or you can help with migrating openHAB 1 bindings to openHAB 2. See openhab-addons issue 6179. The issue gives an overview of the state of openHAB 1 bindings and their migration status.

1 Like

The openHAB 3 Issue Tracking doesnt seem to be publicly visible. It returns 404 error for me at least.

Great tip. I will just note page you pointed is invisible for non-maintainer folks or people who are no signed in at github

1 Like

Openhab issue tracking show a 404. :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.