Migration from 1.8 to newest(stable) OpenHAB release

considering this

Just get started with the current version

Just my sense here, initially stay with the MQTT 1 binding. I believe some people have moved from the v2 back to v1 due to missing functionality.

Because there will be a new RPi image based on most recent Raspbian.
But you can also use the current openHABian and walk the full upgrade path.
All important fixes are meanwhile in there.

1 Like

Or you can install the mode recent Raspbian Lite & follow the Linux installation for OpenHABian. That is what I am running on my Pi.

Too many options. What would I loose, if I start now? Is there an drastic improvement in Raspbian, which makes it worth waitng?

If you install Raspian Lite and follow the Linux installation for OpenHABian I believe you end up with thee same as using the image.

Nothing… go for it!

no

1 Like

O would say use Raspbian Lite Buster now since it is the latest stable release. The current OpenHAB image is based off the (now oldstable) Stretch version of Raspbian which will have less overall support. as people move to Buster. Raspbian is based off Debian and uses the same release terms.

https://www.debian.org/releases/

OpenHabian 1.5 has been released:

So what I did:

Installed OpenHABian v1.5. There was a problem with git. Fixed.

From openhabian-config:
Installed Mosquitto
Installed NodeRED
Enabled zram (not sure if it worked, as there were errors during compilation of main.c)

Reboted. From UI selected Standard Setup.

Going to install Z-wave and MQTT Bindings for 2.4.0. Right?
Concerning MQTT - can someone tell me does MQTT 2.4.0 support command and event bus binding like in 1.8, so that all events are published and subscribed?

No.
You may retain MQTT 1.x for this purpose or

Since you mention a 2.5M1 binding, let me mention that 2.5M2 may get released this week.

Oh, that’s a surprise. Is there any simple way to connect Z-wave Items to MQTT? E.g. each item should publish it’s state to one topic and subscribe to another topic, which will change it’s state? Or is there better solution in OH 2.4?

Yes.
You can keep MQTT 1.x for this purpose for now, it will coexist with v2 for “ordinary” MQTT.
MQTT 2.x has been developed in stages and as of 2.4 had not yet acquired the event bus feature for turning incoming MQTT into commands.
That feature exists in binding 2.5 which can be retrofitted to OH 2.4
Or you can do it with rules and proxy Items.
Or you can do it with rules and MQTT Actions.

1 Like

Somehow it’s not going seamlessly. I cloned my current Z-wave Stick and connected it to Openhabian. Installed Z-Wave Binding from addons (should be 2.4). Added Thing and in configuration set the serial port /dev/ttyACM0 (remember, how I did this before). Z-wave stick went online and started to discover Z-wave items.
Surprise, surprise, my 32 Z-wave nodes started to be recognized and added to inbox.
OK. Waiting. The number of recognized devices seems to be increasing. Now it’s about 20.

But there is an issue - following info in the log:

2019-08-08 19:50:20.803 [ERROR] [l.initialization.ZWaveNodeSerializer] - NODE 14: Error serializing to file: /var/lib/openhab2/zwave/network_fe86baa8__node_14.xml (No such file or directory)

2019-08-08 19:50:20.808 [ERROR] [l.initialization.ZWaveNodeSerializer] - NODE 14: Error serializing to file: /var/lib/openhab2/zwave/network_fe86baa8__node_14.xml (No such file or directory)

2019-08-08 19:50:27.140 [ERROR] [l.initialization.ZWaveNodeSerializer] - NODE 34: Error serializing to file: /var/lib/openhab2/zwave/network_fe86baa8__node_34.xml (No such file or directory)

2019-08-08 19:50:27.145 [ERROR] [l.initialization.ZWaveNodeSerializer] - NODE 34: Error serializing to file: /var/lib/openhab2/zwave/network_fe86baa8__node_34.xml (No such file or directory)

2019-08-08 19:50:29.497 [ERROR] [l.initialization.ZWaveNodeSerializer] - NODE 15: Error serializing to file: /var/lib/openhab2/zwave/network_fe86baa8__node_15.xml (No such file or directory)

2019-08-08 19:50:29.502 [ERROR] [l.initialization.ZWaveNodeSerializer] - NODE 15: Error serializing to file: /var/lib/openhab2/zwave/network_fe86baa8__node_15.xml (No such file or directory)

2019-08-08 19:50:41.281 [ERROR] [l.initialization.ZWaveNodeSerializer] - NODE 29: Error serializing to file: /var/lib/openhab2/zwave/network_fe86baa8__node_29.xml (No such file or directory)

2019-08-08 19:50:41.285 [ERROR] [l.initialization.ZWaveNodeSerializer] - NODE 29: Error serializing to file: /var/lib/openhab2/zwave/network_fe86baa8__node_29.xml (No such file or directory)

And it’s coming all the time. I don’t like it. Any hints?

PS Now playing with my venetian blind, which finally started to work as should be :slight_smile:

Battery operated devices need to be woken up, sometimes many times until their discovery is complete.

Oh, yes. And after reboot all my settings including paperUI, Z-wave binding and Items with things configurations have gone. User permissions problem?

Okay, this is resolved - I’ve shouldn’t enable ZRAM. And after waiting for signed stable release I’m again with OpenHABian.
So back to MQTT:

So do you want to say that if I install MQTT 2.4.0, there is no way to map Z-wave things and MQTT Items? All I want is, to say, then my Z-wave Motion sensor detects movement it shall publish ON or OFF into specific MQTT topic. And in other direction if I publish into MQTT topic /Home/Shutter1 value of 80, my Z-wave Shutter Controller should react on this accordingly. Is it possible to do without rules in 2.4.0?

You can keep MQTT 1.x for this purpose for now, it will coexist with v2 for “ordinary” MQTT.

Or you can do it with rules and proxy Items.

Or you can do it with rules and MQTT Actions.

Or you can use binding 2.5 which can be retrofitted to OH 2.4

Actually I found the way at least from MQTT to Z-wave - installed MQTT Binding 2.4.0, added MQTT Broker and Generic MQTT Things. Then in Generic MQTT thing I create appropriate channels, subscribing to my topics. Then these channels are linked to the items, and to the same items I link channels from Z-wave things. As the result I can externally publish into MQTT Topic and OpenHAB applies this as command to Z-wave device. So this direction is working now.

The problem is other direction, as I can’t yet publish data from Z-wave sensors to MQTT, even if I use same theory. But here the problem seem to be in Z-wave, as I can’t see sensor updates on Dashboard either. For example my Aeon Multisensor 5-in-1 should be sending periodic temperature updates and movement detection, but nothing is visible in dashboard, when I create appropriate items. Strange.