Missing ItemStateChangedEvent for zwave item defined in item file after upgrade to openhab:3.0.0

Have a rummage in the JSONDB for links when your Thing is “deleted”, you may find lingering ghosts, all ready to re-attach when the Thing is recreated.

It’s not the Thing that I’m deleting, but rather the Item only. So in the jsondb Item and ItemChannelLink files, I noticed that the Item disappears as expected. The channel link sticks around. Both are, however, identical after re-adding the item.

I’ve opened a new issue org.openhab.binding.zwave #1574

I think that has been mentioned previously and is an issue with openHAB core, not any particular binding.

The channel link sticking around doesn’t seem to have much bearing on this specific issue, though, does it? The problem is seen on a fresh install after configuring the binding + 1 thing + channel → 1 item, then restarting.

Well, the thing is there are many using zwave with OH 3.01 for months without seeing this problem. So we are casting around for what is odd about your setup, and of course we are also bearing in mind you initially had problems configuring correctly.

There is an issue involving editing Items files causing linked rule triggers to “go to sleep”, which seems to fit half of the symptoms you are describing.

Yeah, reading through that one I will not be surprised if they end up at least partly sharing the root cause. There are definite differences, though - in my case it can be reproduced with or without a .items. file definition - either by creating creating items in the OH3 UI itself, or by using an .items file.

Do you know if there’s, for example, a z-wave bridge simulator such that I can use that in place of my actual device so that I can test things out more easily? This way I’d also be able to come up with a repro than, in theory, anyone should be able to confirm. Any thoughts along those lines?

You mean, a tool like mqtt.fx that you could use to generate MQTT messages with the topic and payload of your choice? Yes, there are a few.