More switches, more wiring questions

Thanks again. I am making considerable effort to learn, unfortunately work gets in the way lol. I agree, electric wiring is very dangerous and should not be taken lightly. Am not gonna do anything until I am absolutely sure. I have access to some electricians at work and do run things by them as well.

Thanks again for your help. am gonna be looking at all the answers tonight.

Hmm, I’m not sure what you mean here but I hope it’s not something like plastering over gang boxes. Unfortunately electrical code mandates that all connections must forever be accessible. If you have a gang box with just a blank faceplate that only is used to join one cable to another it still must always be accessible, crooked or not.

You have three choices. One is to open up enough wall to straighten the box and then repair the wall. The other is to replace both cables and the box with one cable from the origin to the destination. If this is from say, the breaker panel to the other end of the house, well, that’s obviously a huge amount of work. The third option is one I’ve actually done.

Let’s say a gang box is smack dab in the middle of a wall and you want to put a cabinet or mirror there. And let’s say the cable comes from the left side of that wall goes to the gang box and then another cable continues to the right side of the wall. Open a strip the entire span of the wall, put two junction boxes at either end of the wall, relocate the existing cables into the new gang boxes and put in a new section of cable between the gang boxes. Sure, now you have two gang boxes and faceplates but now they’re in the corner and less noticeable.

There are other tricks depending on the situation. Let’s say you have an outlet you want to get rid of but it’s also used to supply power to other places so you can’t just abandon the circuit. If it’s on an interior wall what’s on the other side? In one case we were able to flip the box over so it came out the other side in a room where the appearance didn’t really matter.

1 Like

darn, I thought I could just close up the wires and then put dry wall in the front.

Unfortunately I think I would have to go with either option 1 or 2. Not high on my list of priority though, have to finish with my current home automation project first.

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom. much appreciated. saved me a lot of possible problems down the road.

This is starting to look like an electrical DIY thread 
 loving it :smile:

@chrisdumont is right that you shouldn’t cover up live electrical boxes. But let’s say you have an outlet in a place you really don’t want it, and if (if!) you are able to figure out from where it is fed, and if the outlet does not feed on to other places (that’s a big if), then you can disconnect the outlet at the first “upstream” box, and plaster over it. No need to remove unpowered wires.

But again, most of the time disconnecting an outlet is not easily possible, and covering up live boxes is against code (and makes it next to impossible to track down electrical faults should they happen).

@rm65453 @chrisdumont and @Bernd_Pfrommer are right. Whatever you do don’t pass on the pain to the next owner :slight_smile: follow the code always and if in doubt hire an electrician. It sure is expensive but you are paying for 10 years+ of experience and you can be at peace that nothing is going to short circuit and cause an accident because you were not sure if it was the way to go. If you have some basic understanding and a reliable multimeter, you can do some simple stuff such as installing microawitches but don’t start rewiring/rerouting/patching up panels.

Well i am in luck, one of the outlets is just a cable tv outlet so at least I can close them up and get rid of the alignment problem.

Then I will think of what to do with the stupid power outlet in the middle of my roof! not even sure what they were thinking.

true. I am going to stick to what I can do. Basic grade 12 physics can only take you so far.

rewiring etc am definitely going to leave to experienced electricians. luckily I have a trustworthy electricians, they are very hard to find.

Check with aeotec support is their touch panels are supported on the wiring configuration I posted. They are very quick to respond (1 day). That config was provided by them.

I will, the one you posted doesnt look like will work with the touch panel.

When you say “middle of my roof” I get visions of an outlet on the surface of the roof among all the shingles facing the sky. Surely not!
Do you mean in an attic? Under the eaves facing down? On a ceiling facing down? Something else?

Outlets in seemingly strange places can actually be quite useful. We have a switched outlet on the underside of our eaves for Christmas lights. Before the big slow wired-in ceiling fans became widespread it was not un-common to hang a floor fan upside-down from the ceiling hence the outlet in a weird location.

OTOH, if it really is in the middle of the roof is it possible there used to be one of those huge satellite dishes up there with it?

sorry, its actually in the middle of the ceiling of my bedroom. i cannot think of anything useful that I can plug in there. would be interested in finding a good use for it though.

That was too easy.

3 Likes

lmao