Moved Z-wave dongle to a new Openhabian/Openhab 3 installation

I have just installed a new Raspberry PI with the newest stable version of Openhab. I thought I could simply move the USB stick to the new Openhabian installation and then my things would follow the dongle. But after moving the dongle to a new installation and doing a scan of the device, most of my Z wave devices is only discovered as “Z Wave Node XXX” without any additional info of the device. Only a “range extender” and a few switches are discovered how I expected them to be. What did I do wrong?

2023-02-24 00:26:45.472 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 5: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2023-02-24 00:26:45.486 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 7: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2023-02-24 00:26:45.493 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2023-02-24 00:26:45.520 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 9: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2023-02-24 00:26:45.539 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 10: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2023-02-24 00:26:45.547 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 12: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2023-02-24 00:26:45.559 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 15: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2023-02-24 00:26:45.568 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 16: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2023-02-24 00:26:45.577 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 18: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2023-02-24 00:26:45.583 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 23: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.

Should I try to do a syncronize or soft reset?

How will I get all my Z wave things back, without resetting the dongle and Z wave devices completely?

Thanks in advance.

DO NOT reset your dongle. All of the devices are still connected to it, and you don’t want to mess with that.

This is a pretty typical error (search for “Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known”), and usually you just need to wait for battery-powered devices to wake up and connect with the controller. That’s why your plug-in devices are all working.

You can wake them manually, or just wait for it to happen. The wake times will depend on whatever you set them to in your old system.

I realized that the network security key wasn’t migrated to the new installation automatically. I have configured the new installation with the old key, but that didn’t seem to make a difference.

The network security key only matters for secure devices (e.g. door locks). If you have other devices connected with security that don’t actually need it, then I’d actually suggest removing and re-including them. Security adds unnecessary traffic.

I was hoping that time would eventually “heal” the problem. :slight_smile: It makes good sense that battery powered devices needs time. Both switches and the repeater are powered from the grid, so your explanation makes perfectly good sense. Currently all my battery powered devices are not being resolved correctly. I will give the devices some time.

I changed the security key to be identical with the old installation. I hope that is correct?

I have configured the new installation with the old key, but I think you are right. I don’t think I use it.

If you want to be sure, open up one of them and press the button to wake it. It should resolve itself within a minute or two.

Yes, but it would only matter if you already have secure devices attached to your controller.

I will go to beed and hope for it to “heal” itself. Thanks for your help.

It “healed” itself. Thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.