MQTT config under OH2

This seems very confusing and not user friendly. Is there a MQTT binding for OpenHab2 on the way?

It depends on what you want to achieve: I’m using MQTT with mosquitto since openHAB1 without any problems and also the 1.x MQTT binding works flawlessly with openHAB2 …

You saved my life. I was going crazy. Thanks a lot Angelos.

1 Like

This helped me as well. the two config files were not allowing the MQTT to work. Thank you.

1 Like

I can not get the mqtt binding to work:

2017-09-10 18:53:38.387 [INFO ] [penhab.io.transport.mqtt.MqttService] - MQTT Service initialization completed.
2017-09-10 18:53:38.409 [INFO ] [t.mqtt.internal.MqttBrokerConnection] - Starting MQTT broker connection 'mosquitto'
2017-09-10 18:53:38.569 [INFO ] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - Started Hue Emulation service at /api
2017-09-10 18:53:38.671 [ERROR] [penhab.io.transport.mqtt.MqttService] - Error starting broker connection
Unable to connect to server (32103) - java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)
	at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.TCPNetworkModule.start(TCPNetworkModule.java:75)[221:org.openhab.io.transport.mqtt:1.9.0]
	at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.ClientComms$ConnectBG.run(ClientComms.java:538)[221:org.openhab.io.transport.mqtt:1.9.0]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)[:1.8.0_121]
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)[:1.8.0_121]
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:350)[:1.8.0_121]
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)[:1.8.0_121]
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:188)[:1.8.0_121]
	at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)[:1.8.0_121]
	at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:589)[:1.8.0_121]
	at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.TCPNetworkModule.start(TCPNetworkModule.java:66)[221:org.openhab.io.transport.mqtt:1.9.0]
	... 2 more

when I use the karaf console as suggested here this is what is listed out:

openhab> config:edit org.openhab.mqtt
openhab> config:property-list
   mosquitto.async = false
   mosquitto.pwd = xxxxxxx
   mosquitto.qos = 1
   mosquitto.retain = true
   mosquitto.url = tcp://localhost:8883
   mosquitto.user = openhabian
   service.pid = org.openhab.mqtt
openhab>

I did have two mqtt files, so I did:
config:delete org.openhab.mqtt2
bundle:restart 220

any ideas what the problem might be?

@rlkoshak Did all that in that tutorial already, the broker is running:

Does this mean that the credentials are wrong, or that it can not find localhost and that i need to use IP address instead?
Sidenote: What I really miss in the paperUI, is a button to test the config(You press it and it try to connect to the API of that binding, only works for 2+ bindings…)

I think the problem is what is stored in the database, and that this is not matching up with what is stored in the .cfg file… But from what I get when running
openhab> config:edit org.openhab.mqtt
openhab> config:property-list

How can I easily restart the binding, because it does not seems to try to reconnect itself(according to the frontail logs)?

I you did a lot of tinkering with mqtt you may be affected by a bug that the wrong config is stored deep down in openHAB. Perform the steps provided here and see what happens:

I for one am definitely bookmarking this conversation already. Tnx

It’s not a bug unfortunately that cfg files can’t “remove” entries of the OSGi cache / config admin. It is seen as a feature. I wasn’t really satisfied with the situation for the new upcoming OH2 Mqtt, so we will have a solution for config files soon that also work for OH1.mqtt by adding a specific first line to the config.

Cheers, David

Sorry for using the wrong term, but for an end user it is a major impact and has caused many, many threads and a lot of writing in this forum to get the users going again …

Really? So having PaperUI add-ons removed from your install when they are not present in addons.cfg is considered OK but doing the same thing in any other services/*.cfg is not.

It is inconsistencies like these that drives the users crazy. I may not like the behavior one way or the other, but when everything works consistently at least I as a user can predict how it will work.

Grrrr. I know this isn’t your doing. I wish I knew about the discussion that took place when it was decided to be a “feature”.

1 Like

If you look closely at it, it currently is actually consistent. If you remove the bindings= line from your addons.cfg, nothing will happen either, the configuration is kept.

There has never been a discussion that this is a feature. It actually is a bug that came in as a side effect of moving to Karaf two years ago, which meant that we are not starting the OSGi version with the “clean” option anymore - and therefore, old configurations are not removed upon startup, but kept.

As David says, we looked into how we can address this and a pull request is already created to solve it.

Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood David’s comment. Sounds good! :+1:

1 Like

this post was a great help, just one comment

the correct format is :

ssh -p 8101 openhab@localhost

and not :

ssh openhab@localhost -p 8101

At least when using debian, both versions are valid.

Sorry guys - comming with the same problem solved above. But I fail since several days.

I got the same message in my log:" ReasonCode 32109 : Cause : null"

As proposed I deleted file /var/lib/openhab2/config/org/openhab/mqtt.config.
The result is always the same and file /var/lib/openhab2/config/org/openhab/mqtt.config look like this:
.clientId=“openHAB”
.pwd=“mosquitto”
.url=“tcp://127.0.0.1:1883”
.user="user"
mosquitto.async="false"
mosquitto.clientId="openHAB"
mosquitto.pwd="the correct password"
mosquitto.retain="true"
mosquitto.url="tcp://localhost:1883"
mosquitto.user="user"
service.pid=“org.openhab.mqtt”

1. I don’t know where the . entries come from (not in mqtt.cfg)

2. and log message is:
    19:23:59.938 [INFO ] [t.mqtt.internal.MqttBrokerConnection] - Starting connection helper to periodically try restore connection to broker ''
    19:24:09.944 [INFO ] [t.mqtt.internal.MqttBrokerConnection] - Starting MQTT broker connection ''
    19:24:09.972 [ERROR] [t.mqtt.internal.MqttBrokerConnection] - MQTT connection to broker was lost
    Verbindung wurde getrennt (32109) - java.io.EOFException
    at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.CommsReceiver.run(CommsReceiver.java:146)[234:org.openhab.io.transport.mqtt:1.10.0]
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)[:1.8.0_65]
    Caused by: java.io.EOFException
    at java.io.DataInputStream.readByte(DataInputStream.java:267)[:1.8.0_65]
    at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.wire.MqttInputStream.readMqttWireMessage(MqttInputStream.java:65)[234:org.openhab.io.transport.mqtt:1.10.0]
    at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.CommsReceiver.run(CommsReceiver.java:107)[234:org.openhab.io.transport.mqtt:1.10.0]
    … 1 more
    19:24:09.978 [ERROR] [t.mqtt.internal.MqttBrokerConnection] - MQTT connection to ‘mosquitto’ was lost: Verbindung wurde getrennt : ReasonCode 32109 : Cause : null
    19:24:09.980 [INFO ] [t.mqtt.internal.MqttBrokerConnection] - Starting connection helper to periodically try restore connection to broker 'mosquitto’
    19:24:19.982 [INFO ] [t.mqtt.internal.MqttBrokerConnection] - Starting MQTT broker connection 'mosquitto’
    19:24:20.012 [ERROR] [t.mqtt.internal.MqttBrokerConnection] - MQTT connection to broker was lost
    Verbindung wurde getrennt (32109) - java.io.EOFException
    at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.CommsReceiver.run(CommsReceiver.java:146)[234:org.openhab.io.transport.mqtt:1.10.0]
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)[:1.8.0_65]
    Caused by: java.io.EOFException
    at java.io.DataInputStream.readByte(DataInputStream.java:267)[:1.8.0_65]
    at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.wire.MqttInputStream.readMqttWireMessage(MqttInputStream.java:65)[234:org.openhab.io.transport.mqtt:1.10.0]
    at org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3.internal.CommsReceiver.run(CommsReceiver.java:107)[234:org.openhab.io.transport.mqtt:1.10.0]
    … 1 more
    19:24:20.015 [ERROR] [t.mqtt.internal.MqttBrokerConnection] - MQTT connection to ‘’ was lost: Verbindung wurde getrennt : ReasonCode 32109 : Cause : null

I would be grateful for any idea.

uuuppps.

some information got lost by copy and past. Try to put it into Preformatted text
<broker>.clientId=“openHAB”
<broker>.pwd=“mosquitto”
<broker>.url=“tcp://127.0.0.1:1883”
<broker>.user="user"
mosquitto.async="false"
mosquitto.clientId="openHAB"
mosquitto.pwd="mosquitto"
mosquitto.retain="true"
mosquitto.url="tcp://localhost:1883"
mosquitto.user="user"
service.pid=“org.openhab.mqtt”

19:24:20.015 [ERROR] [t.mqtt.internal.MqttBrokerConnection] - MQTT connection to ‘<broker>’ was lost:

try:

Thanks. Stopping OH2 service first was the key. Thank you very much.