MQTT: Generic or HA thing?

Testing with some Sonoff switches flashed with Tasmota. Have two things set up under the MQTT binding: Generic MQTT and HA MQTT (autodiscovery). Both work fine.

But, the HA thing seems rather…opaque. It’s not clear to me how the thing knows which topics to use, or which are even supported. The Tasmota docs are pretty slim as well. I’m not much for magical things happening without knowing how they happen.

Is there any clear advantage to the Generic over HA thing (or vice versa)? If not, I’ll just use Generic for everything, but wanted to ask first before jumping down that rabbit hole (I have about 12 switches to configure).

I use the generic method, via configuration files, because I like to feel in control…! If your 12 switches are basically the same device, you might find it quite fast just to copy/paste most of your first configuration…

Good advice. I was just working on how to change the item status when a power state change happens, and it looks like it’s impossible to do with the HA thing, so I’ll stick with the Generic thing. Thanks!

The advantage and purpose of HA Things is that they are automatically discovered and configured. HA MQTT follows a standard which allows OH to determine all the topics and Channel Types based on the information Tasmota publishes and the topic structure Tasmota uses.

So in short, Tasmota tells OH what topics to use and what types to use for the Channels.

If you don’t want to rely on that you should use manually created Generic MQTT Things, though that will of course be significantly more work on your part.

NOTE: Homie works the same way.

Shouldn’t be impossible at all. But your statement is a little vague. Perhaps with more information we could help figure out why. But if the power state is reported on a Channel and that Item is linked to the Channel than the Item will update to reflect the power’s status.