MQTT vs Binding

With the rapid adaption of MQTT it almost seems that this will replace the need for some (many) bindings. This would solve some of the 1.x issues (ie Insteon).

Thoughts?

How is mqtt and insteon related? Can you elaborate on statement?

A binding will always provide better support and easier setup for a new comer to Openhab. If a device uses 10bit resolution a binding can perfectly hide this from the setup of the device and seamlessly map this to the 0-100% controls of Openhab. If the device needs a log scale for the movement the binding can take care of this as well. A binding may be more complex, but that is its strength it can do far more and hence give a better result to the end user.

There is stand-alone Insteon to MQTT bridge https://github.com/TD22057/insteon-mqtt

Additionally, many other HA devices now have MQTT bridges. I could largely eliminate the need to plugins to support different devices.

At first glance, I would agree. However, if an MQTT bridge implements the HA or Homie standard, that would eliminate a lot of setup issues. And many of these HA standards like Insteon and Z wave require software that manages those networks.

Yes this is true the mqtt to insteon. Issue I had when I checked it out was that it didnā€™t support the insteon hub only plm. Not sure if that changed. However I prefer to have a more direct solution when available.

Personally, I donā€™t see them necessarily replacing bindings any time soon if ever. The biggest problem is then support for various technologies ends up being outsourced to whom ever writes these external bridges. It can be a great way to provide support for technologies that are not supported well by OH yet. And perhaps in those cases a native binding will never be built.

But the requirement to install some other third party bridge program, maintain it, and if the bridge doesnā€™t implement Homie, manually create all the MQTT connections in OH is far less usable than installing a binding and checking the Inbox.

2 Likes

@rlkoshak, Maybe.

It would provide a [relatively] easy-out if the outcome of the Removal of the OH 1.x Compatibility Layer thread is to have the OH 1.x Add-ons rewritten.

If thatā€™s the collective choice taken, then thereā€™ll already be a whole bunch of code-changes, testing, documentation, and a significant user-transition impact.

ā€¦ and no guarantee that the same fate wonā€™t befall OH 2.x Add-ons in the next few yrs.

This will be especially true for the larger (Bridge-style) Add-ons like mine (MiOS) that pull over 100ā€™s of Items. I have 600+ Items bridged to a MiOS/Vera unit and, based upon the (Generated) Items files Iā€™ve seen, itā€™s fairly typical for openHAB/MiOS users.

So if we end up having to rewrite these larger Add-ons, then might as well go all-in and use something like MQTT, with the existing (Homie) convention(s), and completely bypass the OH framework.

Federating in this manner provides a few benefits for Add-on Authors and Consumers:

• a) a versioned, and language-neutral, contract for the Add-on Author (which is what I was looking for)
  • b) greater functionality sharing across the different HA/Controller environments (write once, in anything, use everywhere)
  • c) cross Controller migration enablement (eg. from/to openHAB, Hubitat, Hass, SmartThings, Homie, Vera etc)
  • d) decoupling Java as the coding/language requirement.
  • e) decoupling Eclipse as the editor (pseudo-requirement)
  • f) decoupling/modularizing/componentizing the other build components

Apart from pure process-management, thereā€™s a lot to be said for writing the larger Add-ons in this manner, and using the discovery components of OHā€™s MQTT v2 to discover, and long-term support, the contract.

Forward-looking, Iā€™d imagine (language-specific) frameworks popping up to do the Application-protocol lifting. Once frameworkā€™d, Add-ons written in this manner could be exposed through other Protocol conventions (like Weaveā€™s binary form) and not just MQTT/Homie (or hass)

For those whoā€™ve seen CORBA, or any of the since-then variants (XML-RPC, JSON variants, etc), this is all nothing new.

Side-bar: Having recently attempted to get a fresh Eclipse environment up and building, I wouldnā€™t wish that on anyoneā€¦ itā€™s clearly in transition, given the hours wasted there. In itā€™s current state itā€™s a significant deterrent to entry, unless youā€™re a daily userā€¦ but thatā€™s another topic :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Iā€™m down to 90 errors. Itā€™s getting better every week xD Iā€™m still refraining from doing core development atm, but a build system change is never easy. The new build system works theoretically in Intellij as well, at least.

1 Like

Thatā€™s definitely good to hear. At the time I tried it there were also errors unless you had a very specific (ie. Not December) version of Eclipseā€¦ and even then it needed to be touched/fixed if you restarted Eclipse.

Luckily all documented as work-arounds by various community members here, but full of landmines at that time.

For someone like me, that mostly works in other programming languages these days, that setup is a massive barrier to entry. Iā€™m glad to hear that itā€™s simplification is progressing.

Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m not against these MQTT bridges by any means. As a bridge developer coding it as a stand alone X to MQTT has a lot of attraction including you can instantly support users of other home automation hubs. It also is indeed an option for those faced with the OH 1.x Compatibility Layer issue, though the current work around for that (federate the event buses) is essentially an OH 1.x to MQTT bridge in and of itself. So if that is where we go, why go through any effort at all and let OH implement the bridge part for you?

But speaking from a strictly OH user perspective, it will forever be more intuitive, less work, and less to keep up with to have the capability as a binding instead of a separate bridge. If the average user has 10 bindings (totally made up number not based on anything) do we really think itā€™s easier or even acceptable for them to have to install and manage letā€™s say 5 (half, again totally made up number) separate X to MQTT bridges from 5 different sources with 5 different configuration and management approaches?

Thatā€™s all Iā€™m really saying. Itā€™s good for the developer perhaps but that comes at the expense of the user.

But for anyone considering building their own X to MQTT bridge, :+1 to Homie! :smiley:

If the consensus solution is for compat to be dropped, then thatā€™s the route Idā€™ take if itā€™s maintained moving forward. If itā€™s built-in, then grand, Iā€™ll leave well-enough alone. (aka ā€œaint broke, donā€™t fix itā€)

In a simple manner, MQTT + Discovery (eg. via Homieā€™s style) + Filtering is equivalent to the core openHAB Message Bus - just with more of an ā€œout of VMā€ experience, and more data-marshalling costs.

I have a pipeline of other things Iā€™d like to write so, for those, itā€™s very likely Iā€™ll do them in the style outlined. I have a few objectives specific to those:

• a) I have multiple Controllers, and want to be able to switch and/or federate across
  • b) ultimately consolidate to a commercial controller to run the bulk of the house
  • c) prototype functionality quickly (soā€¦, itā€™s other languages with less overhead)
  • d) minimize exposure to future compat issues, partially by relying upon more standards-based stuff

For (b), Itā€™s the eternal discussion in HA, or ā€œcould I hand this off to the next house-owner?ā€ ā€¦ unless you paid/maintain a Control4 system of course :wink:

OH seems to be getting further away from that as we speakā€¦ starting with the loss of ESH, but time will tell.

That maybe the way it is, but not necessarily the way it needs to be. There are multiple installation and containerization frameworks that could be used to install, and run (often securely), 3rd party ā€œbundlesā€ from somewhere.

eg. All the way from TR-069 through Docker and the component primitives along the way: lxc, runc, apt, etc

In some ways, OH has this problem with things like itā€™s (licensed?) Java dependancies and/or OS-level depends - at least it will when itā€™s more appliance-like.

It also provides 3rd parties with an opportunity to ā€œsell hardwareā€ (which they love) by baking this code into something that is remote from OH, and performs auto-updates. Since it would be purpose-built, itā€™ll be a lot easier to get right, and not have interference from the peer software running on the Machine | JVM

I have many small, purpose-made, devices like that in my Alarm Panels (Paradox, DSC), Energy Monitoring (Custom MQTT), Log server (RaspPI), etc. In many ways, theyā€™re simpler to manage than a single large-hairball deployment (which I also run as a series of VMā€™s on a NUC :slight_smile: )

That you or I can manage but the average Joe user isnā€™t going to. And Iā€™m not saying they canā€™t, though it may be beyond some, but they wonā€™t.

And it isnā€™t so much that the consensus is to drop the comp layer as it is that in the five years itā€™s been around only one developer has ever maintained it and he didnā€™t want to any more.

I suspect if anyone at all were to step up and take on its maintenance itā€™d be around for a good long time. Without that, what can we expect?

Whilst in some use cases Homie is great and I am looking at it in depth at the moment to use in a project, so I do like the idea that it is trying to achieve donā€™t get me wrong. In other use cases using human readable MQTT as a ā€˜man in the middleā€™ is a shocking idea. Consider DMX as an extreme example, it only takes 23ms for a full 512 light states to be transmitted, this is very fast. By using human friendly readable MQTT messages, it would give us at least 140 times slower response. This renders DMX crippled for what it is designed for. The below link to the home assistant forum also touches on this increased overheadā€¦

Each piece of hardware needs to be considered in what is the best approach and yes in some cases using mqtt is fantastic and in others it is not. This is why different protocols exist so a hardware designer can choose what is going to give the end user the best experience within the goals of the project.

As someone who has written a MQTT based binding for a MQTT bridge (see espmilighthub) I can tell you first hand if I was to throw it all away and start from scratch or Openhab 3 or 4 forces me to rewrite, I would still choose the same path and use a binding unless the status quo changes.

In this case the hub/bridge is written and maintained by mostly HASS users. Creating an alternative firmware using homie is unlikely in the short term and far more work than writing a simple binding. I actually save huge amounts of time compared to creating a separate firmware, the choice is easy. It is about getting Homie accepted and implemented in more places then Openhab before it can take off. Hopefully the license for Homie and other features allows it to take off. There are many examples in the past of protocols invented that are great that never take off.

Here is an example discussion.

ā€¦ and without a UI, using Karaf is a PITA, and the average user canā€™t do anything.

If the model above can be proven to work, then the components just need to be wrapped into another KAR service deploymentā€¦ for openHAB.

Iā€™m guessing this is similar to how the C-based Serial Driver is being packaged/delivered today, given that it shows up in the OSGi console, but clearly has C libraries at itā€™s core.

Anyhow, Iā€™ll cross that bridge when I get to itā€¦

Fair enough, for whatever reason the layer is not carried forward. Ultimately every project has itā€™s tech-debt, based upon decisions that were right at that time. Working out how, and when, to eliminate those has to factor a bunch of different issues.

But thatā€™s for the other threadā€¦

BTW, itā€™s about 4 yrs since it was in a semi-working state:

@watou and I were some of itā€™s earliest (external) users.

Thatā€™s partly why I reference Weave above. It has the binary-compressed format (TLV) to handle compact transmissions.

Iā€™ll start with Homie, and maybe hass.ioā€™s format, both to prove out the model and because there are existing entities (notably openHAB 2.4, Hubitat, hass.io) that know how to process it. In the case of hass.io, it seems like itā€™s missing a bunch of entities, so the mapping might be lossy for a broader usage.

Anyhow, availability of libā€™s and clients for Weave isnā€™t there just yet.

Ultimately, there will be need to support multiple of these pseudo-standardsā€¦ which is why I make the framework comments above.

An ā€œXā€ larger wire format doesnā€™t necessarily translate to the same (ā€œXā€) ratio of slownessā€¦ it depends upon a lot of other scale/perf/resource factors. But I get what you mean.

Many of these formats are compact for a bunch of PHY-layer constraints, or the tech of the time.

Some concrete examplesā€¦
My Alarm Panel uses ~16char codes for itā€™s events, mostly as itā€™s bus (Paradox COMBUS) is capped at 56k and itā€™s attempting to limit bus queueing whilst remaining responsive. I source this data from my Vera, via my Binding, which is expanding it into (compressed) JSON - that I currently pull into openHAB.

So while I could have an issue, the rate of house-hold ā€œalarm panel eventsā€, in a real-world deployment, itā€™s not an issue in terms of bandwidth - and openHAB is very responsive to whatā€™ going on with the motion/contact sensors in the house. Some of these themselves are RF, luckily most are wired :wink:

The bigger challenge here is that I cannot stream the processing in the overall pipeline, as the (JSON) format used isnā€™t amenable to that. Each node in the processing chain is effectively adding latency.

Similarly, I use MQTT for my Energy data. Thatā€™s ~100 channels (Power, Energy and Current across ~35 channels + Volts) every 5s (~72,000 metrics/hour). The wire format of the data-stream is similar to what Homie uses, and I batch the MQTT pushes (using paho.mqtt.publish.multiple) for efficiency.

Itā€™s not using a material amount of bandwidth, nor CPU, and the stream isnā€™t (yet!) compressed. The devices this data is sourced from also uses a much more compact data format (Brultech GEM/ECM-1240). Itā€™s running BTMon on an really old RaspPi B (1st gen), although it has less requirements on real-time dataā€¦ I pump it into a LAN-based InfluxDB for analysis.

It wonā€™t be a stretch, or a size increase, to make a MQTT-Homie variant, with about the same message sizing.

Cool, thanks for the pointer!

@mjcumming Let me know if this is off-kilter with your intent for this thread. I think itā€™s all in keeping, but happy to split it out if itā€™s not what you intended.

1 Like

@guessed, great discussion.

@rlkoshak, I understand the desire for dedicated bindings but they are several advantages to using MQTT as enumerated above. For instance, Insteon and zWave both require a means to manage their networks (at least Insteon does, especially if you are using more than 10-20 devices). Duplicating that functionality in OH is an enormous amount of work. The 2 primary bindings I use are not being actively developed anymore. They have occasional problems and can bring down OH when the fail. An MQTT Bridge would in theory have a larger user base, wouldnā€™t bring down OH if it failed. Additionally, there are the additional benefits enumerated above such as being able to develop in different languages.

It would also free resources for OH developers to work on the bigger opportunity of making home automation easier (rules, interfaces, voice, intelligent learning, etc)

I agree that external applications are not a bad idea if they have an interface, that openHAB can understand.

Personally Iā€™m using the deCONZ software for example, which is abstracting zigbee. deCONZ speaks the Hue protocol (+ a real-time extension for sensors) and I could easily integrate it into my openHAB setup. (Maybe not the best example, because I ended up writing a binding to support the real-time extension :sweat_smile:)

Cheers

I wish I had been smart enough to put it that way on the other thread.

Iā€™m not arguing against the benefits of listed for external bridges like the ones described. Iā€™m just point out that for a sizable portion of the current user base, having to run an external application to get support for a given technology would be a deal killer. So moving to an ā€œexternal bridges onlyā€ approach would essentially exclude those users from considering OH.

There is absolutely nothing preventing anyone who wants to use this X to MQTT bridge sort of approach from doing so now. Just look at the population using zigbee2mqtt. But also look at some of the comments on the removal of the compatibility layer thread. There are lots of threats to leave OH if the solution to continue to support OH 1.x bindings is by running something separate from OH itself.

To repeat the same comment Iā€™ve used several times over the past week, why should your preference trump the preference of others when both approaches can be supported?

Iā€™m not trying to push any preference. Just pointing out that there really has been an evolutionary change (maybe not that dramatic) with MQTT and either HA or Homie implementations. It can remove your preference for a HA software solution where you are picking software based on device support rather than picking a solution that does great automation through user interface, automations, etc. In some ways MQTT has/will change the playing field for HA solutions that have previously relied on saying we support xxx protocols. While I donā€™t use a lot of MQTT in my home, that is rapidly changing and I could drop most of the OH bridges I use and move to MQTT only.

1 Like