Mqttitude gone since last update

Hi,

Since i updatet to 2.4.0 m4 my owntracks setup is not working any longer.
when i checkt the add-on via paperUI i cant see the mqttitude binding anywhere, is it gone?

or did i just missed something?

Matt

Isn’t it called "Owntracks"now?

but also that i do not see in the binding list in paperUI

There’s a new binding called gpstracker in now to also work with owntracks to replace mqttitude.
Or you might want to take the mqttitude off the legacy addons package.

Is there an “official statement” on the status of the MQTTitude/OwnTracks binding? MQTTitude was “stable” and from what I’ve seen on GPSTracker, it’s in its early stages. I spent WEEKS getting the binding configured properly. It seems strange to just completely DROP the MQTTitude binding w/o any notification. Perhaps this was an oversight?

Not being a very experienced openHAB user, I am not familiar with “manually” retrieving add-ons. Where are these posted? I can figure out how to deploy it if I have the binding’s JAR.

Regards.

Mike

I don’t think so. Just saw some developer state that on Github.

Gpstracker is brand new but it works for me. The binding is contained in the latest snapshot, just install that.
Or use the download link from this thread. See also there for help on configuration.

@mstormi - I should have been clearer - I meant what is the location for downloading of the “legacy” MQTTItude binding?

@gbicskei It appears that GPSTracker uses HTTP rather than MQTT. Does this mean that I have to set up a secure HTTP mechanism? It was this very issue with MQTT (setting up the SSL certificates, etc.) that took me countless hours to learn and debug. I can’t bear the thought of going through that to get secure HTTP set up! Can I use my secure MQTT setup to send data to the GPSTracker binding?

Mike

The simplest way is to use myopenhab.org and the openHAB cloud connector. You need to set up https://home.myopenhab.org/gpstracker/owntracks as target URL in OwnTracks application.

I don’t think so. The GPSTracker binding expects JSON payload sent to the URL above.

I had perused the GPSTracker documentation several days ago (I was monitoring the openHAB Community post when you were submitting the new binding). I just reviewed it again. Is the setup for using my openHAB Cloud Connector account described somewhere? I missed it if it’s in the online doc. That makes it appear as though I have to set up the HTTP server myself.

Thanks.

Mike

mqttitude1 binding is still part of the 2.3.0 and earlier releases, so you can download that (it should be in the openhab2-addons-legacy package) and extract the binding from the .kar file (it’s a .zip archive despite its name).

It would work non-secure as well but this is not recommended. You should setup nginx as a proxy. In case you’re already using openHABian, setting up nginx is available as a menu option of openhabian-config.

I found the legacy add-ons in the CloudBees openHAB Distribution. I see the KAR file… but inside of that is an .img file. Kai mentions in another post that the KAR needs to be placed in the addons folder on the openHAB server. I’ve done that with JAR files before. What I am missing is how do I extract the MQTTITUDE binding so I can install it and configure it?

Yeah, I DEFINITELY want to encrypt this location data as it makes its way across the interwebs :wink:

Mike

[16:18:27] root@openhabianpi:/usr/share/openhab2# unzip -t openhab-addons-legacy-2.4.0-SNAPSHOT.kar |grep mqttitude
    testing: repository/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.mqttitude/   OK
    testing: repository/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.mqttitude/1.13.0-SNAPSHOT/   OK
    testing: repository/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.mqttitude/1.13.0-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata-local.xml   OK
    testing: repository/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.mqttitude/1.13.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.binding.mqttitude-1.13.0-SNAPSHOT.jar   OK
    testing: repository/org/openhab/addons/openhab-addons-external/1.13.0-SNAPSHOT/openhab-addons-external-1.13.0-SNAPSHOT-mqttitude.cfg   OK

Extract that .jar and place it into /usr/share/openhab2/addons.

Definitely. I get 1-2 requests per hour trying to find security holes in my server since I’ve setup nginx on that (nonstandard) port.

This is the new version of the documentation. I’m not sure you reviewed this. The cloud connector configuration is not described here. I don’t think it should be. It has it’s own documentation. GPSTracker only suggests securing OH:

Please be aware that this communication uses the public network so make sure your openHAB installation is secured (but accessible from public internet through myopenhab.org or using a reverse proxy) and you configured HTTPS access in tracking applications.

Yeah, the Github doc is more extensive, it appears, that the openHAB page. I had not seen that.

I wasn’t suggesting replicating the Cloud Connector doc. I was asking if there was a procedure that showed how to do this:

The screenshots in the doc use a “personal” HTTP server and don’t mention using myopenhab.org (i.e., the Cloud Connector). In your note above, you say http rather than https for the myopenhab.org URL. Once one specifies the https URL to myopenhab.org, does this ensure that traffic between the location logging app (e.g., OwnTracks) and myopenhab.org is encrypted? Are any “personal” SSL certificates required? I assume the credentials provided to the app are my Cloud Connector login credentials; yes?

Thus, at the end of the day, what I would suggest, and I’m happy to make the documentation updates, is that this alternative myopenhab setup be provided as an example in the GPSTracker documentation.

Regards.

Mike

P.S. I have made a couple of suggested documentation edits to the openHAB pages in the past. Pretty innocuous changes for clarity rather than any kind of substantial change in the doc. None of them have been accepted to date. So, I am offering to make the documentation changes to the openHAB documentation, but my batting average is zero so far.

P.P.S. How is the documentation on Github kept in sync with the openHAB documentation?

I have an open PR with the extended version. I provided you the Github version as this is not yet merged…

Yes.

myopenhab.org has it’s own certificate issued by Let’s Encrypt.

Yes.

Once the change is merged it is reflected in the the openHAB documentation as well

I had opened the KAR on Windows and WinZip only showed an .img… and no further unzipping was “implied”. Thanks for the direction on using unzip on Linux. That’s my actual destination anyway (Raspberry Pi).

Do I need to extract the XML & .cfg files or just the JAR?

Mike

MY MY, would this have been 100-fold simpler than setting up LetsEncrypt SSL certificates and refresh mechanism, dynamic DNS, additional MQTT broker and listener, port forwarding, …

I’ll tackle the migration to GPSTracker once I have MQTTITUDE restored and working so I have continuous location sensing in place while I migrate.

My only complaint - where were you (i.e., GPSTracker) six months ago :wink:

It’s never too late to change to a better/simpler solution… :wink:

jar only.
BTW that jar of mine is from the most recent snapshot and mqttitude obvious is in there, so maybe you didn’t look properly ?
Just to remind you that you would need to call it mqttitude1 in addons.cfg as it’s still a OH1 binding.