Multi-room audio

Squeezebox is definitely the best solution. You get central control, individual control, an app (iPeng) for your smartphone and the ability to integrate the Raspi into whatever existing audio might exist. A central system is not as convenient unless you spend a lot on something like Sonos or Crestron.

Have you looked at MusicCast by Yamaha yet? It’s a lot like Sonos for half the price. https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-MusicCast-Wireless-Speaker-Bluetooth/dp/B01HY4WDB8 goes for $100 all the time. Receivers and soundbars are compatible as well.

2 Likes

Another vote for Squeezebox (Logitech Media Server) from me.
I have 5 Logitech hardware players (3 of the Radios which are great for bed-side alarm clocks streaming Internet Radio - BBC in the UK) plus 2 more based on Raspberry Pis running PiCorePlayer with HiFiBerry audio cards.
One room has 4 ceiling speakers run off a cheap Class D Amp with a built-in DAC fed from a HiFiBerry Digi card. It’s great to be able to synch that exactly with another room or run them independently.
iPeng is a great control app if you don’t want to do everything through OpenHAB.
It’s a shame Logitech killed off the hardware players but the server software is all open source and still being developed so has a good degree of future-proofing.

As an installer i use the yamaha aventage series. You can define every room separate and use hifi speaker( b&w) in each zone. This is more high-end but the quality is supreme and you will enjoy this many years to come.

Small question: I have a LMS Server running and currently one raspi 3 with max2play image.

I have an internet radio with frontier silicon chipset in my kitchen. This can be controlled with the FSinternetradio-binding. Also i can send music from my windows computer to this (i think with dlna?).

Can i controll this radio with the squeezebox-controlls too? So that i can synchronize my two radios with the same webradio stream or music playback?

Now i hear the same internet radio station on its won on each device, but this is not synchronized.

Hello.
This post is kind old but did not want to start a new thread.
I have the same question with one exception.
I would like to make a multi room audio in my future house.
I need 3-4 different rooms with 2 or 3 speakers in each room. These should be grouped separately for each room. 2 in ever room and 3 in the living room (all ceiling speakers)
I’d prefer wired speakers and I’m Looking for an amp which can be bought in the EU. Russound and the monoprice amp is not available in my country. (Hun)
The OH bindings is a must.
Thanks in advance for your advices

you could use hifi berry ?

Would you consider a Chromecast audio connected to the amp of your choice and wired speakers from there?

I’ve already checked that solution but hifi berries are only 25w amps. Isnt that too low for a decent pair of 50W speaker per zone?

Ill check on that aspect. Thanks for the hint.

depends on what you looking to achieve . if it is just for back ground music I don’t think it should be a problem.

I think i’ve made my stand with the RPI+Hifiberry amp solution.
Just noticed that the Hifiberry Amp2 is out and can be ordered, so I’ve got 1 on the way. I’ll test is with 2 car speakers with volumio and a RPI3B+. The Amp2 can do 60W RMS so getting a decent speaker is not a problem anymore.

Thanks for the help guys btw!
If any1 is interested the solution and a more detailed setup with max2play/squeezebox and rpi+hifiberry amp, here is a great tutorial which i’ve found yesterday:

1 Like

In case you are interested, piCorePlayer provides an alternative to Max2Play with a much small footprint, less overhead and less features…just a player…but it is nicely optimized, flashes and boots quickly and does not write to the CD-Card: https://www.picoreplayer.org/

2 Likes

Once you are done and all running. Post on the following topic. A description and som pictures . Share it with the world.

What did you build/automated today (with pictures)?

1 Like

I use PiCorePlayer for a small boom box and it works flawlessly…

1 Like

I’ll, but the house is just getting built,so it will be a finished in Q1 2020. The 1 module setup will be done within a week or so :slight_smile:

1 Like

That will be fine. You can add all you have done till date of move in. We are also still building but as we build i get lots of wifey wishes. And i accept the challenges and diy the hell out of it.

Lol

Regards
Allen

Potrebbe esserti utile il nuovo sistema in guida din della Nuvo legrand art NV-P600

Hi this is a international form. english please

Another alternative is just installing squeezelite on any debian based distro. :wink:

Configuration is to be done in /etc/default/squeezelite

# Defaults for squeezelite initscript
# sourced by /etc/init.d/squeezelite
# installed at /etc/default/squeezelite by the maintainer scripts

# The name for the squeezelite player:
SL_NAME="$(hostname -s)"

# ALSA output device:
SL_SOUNDCARD="hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry"

# Squeezebox server (Logitech Media Server):
# Uncomment the next line if you want to point squeezelite at the IP address of
# your squeezebox server. This is usually unnecessary as the server is
# automatically discovered.
SB_SERVER_IP="10.10.10.33"

# Additional options to pass to squeezelite:
# Please do not include -z to make squeezelite daemonise itself.
SB_EXTRA_ARGS="-m b8:27:eb:68:53:f6 -u E -f /var/log/squeezelite.log"

BTW, according to my opinion, a pi zero with the Hifiberry Mini Amp is sufficient for small rooms. I use it with two JBL Controls.

A nice Frontend for Android phones is Squeezer. It’s open source and similar to the original app, which is no longer supported.

1 Like