Multiple Channels and Item Types for a single Item

Hello, I’m fairly new to the openHAB community and am really liking it so far,

but I’ve currently ran into an issue regarding items.

So basically, I’m trying to get 2 channels (Hue brightness and Color Temp) into one item (Instead of having multiple items to control different aspects of a single device) in order to use them in Google Home (and Homekit) like I would do with any Hue setup. I know it’s possible to assign multiple Channels to one Item, but it looks like it doesn’t quite work in this case.

Here’s how all items are set up:
Color HK_KaiDecke "TestDecke" <light> (gKaiZi) [ "Lighting" ] { channel="hue:0220:001788632b6e:8:brightness", channel="hue:0220:001788632b6e:8:color_temperature" }

Set up like this, only turning it on and off works, neither brightness nor color temp work.
However, switching it around causes the google home slider to change the shade of white.

So I’d greatly appreciate any help on this.

You can but the Channels need to both support the Item type they are linked to. A Dimmer Channel needs a Dimmer Item. A HSB Channel needs a Color Item. You can’t link a Dimmer channel to a Color Item.

But you don’t have to. You can send Dimmer commands to a Color Item and it will tranform that to the correct HSB value.

Thank you for the reply. I know that that works, but what I’m trying to do is have my hue/tradfri lamps behave like they would via the Hue App/HomeKit App.

I’m running into the issue that either the Lamp will only dim or only change color(or the shade of white). Not both, even after using only the color_temparature channel.