Multiple serials bridges make openhab hang

Hi all,

i’m making a datalogging unit to monitor 12 serial devices. I’ve connected them through a USB-hub and 12 FTDI-cables to a RPi 4 with openhabian, and only the serial binding installed. All seems well at first, all of the devices are logged, but then all of a sudden, OH stops. I can ssh into the RPi, and using “screen” i still see the data coming in. IS there a restriction on how many serial ports are presented to OH, is it a buffer/memory issue? all suggestions are welcome.

thx

What version of openHAB sre you using?

I’m using Openhabian 3.0.2

There is no such thing.
It’s openHAB 3.0.2, openHABian is the OS.

Clearly noone built an artificial limit in but how are we supposed to know what’s going on your system without that you provide proper logs to analyze ? You did not even provide the basicmost logging (output when/before OH “stops”, whatever you mean by that).

There have been a number of changes to the nrjavaserial package used on this part of OH so I suggest you try the latest 3.1 milestone to see if that improves things.

Hi Markus,

i’ve been told before that i must provide more context with my stories :slight_smile:
openhab.log: openhab.log (1.9 KB)
I was just thinking that i might suffer from a buffer or memory issue because at some points, the devices might flood the serial port.

i’m now in the process of setting up the latest milestone. i’ll post my findings later on.

Thx for your suggestions, Really appreciate it.

It’s a bit hard to believe that nothing happens between 16:00 and 20:00
20:05 appears to be a normal system shutdown. When did your openHAB appear to “stop”? Have you looked in your events.log?

Indeed; at 20h05 i did a restart. Not a lot happens, probably because it is a brand new install with only the serial binding installed.
events.log (631.7 KB)

From 17h33 on, the items are no longer updated. That’s when i think OH “stops” (my description might not be the best)

raise logging for all relevant components to debug level.

The log shows it’s hung but gives no indication what happened before

I expect you’re already aware

2021-05-11 15:56:42.960 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'serial:serialBridge:005aa53623' changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (CONFIGURATION_ERROR): Port is not known

This one will never work.