Multiple SQL databases and MySQL persistence?

Hey all, I just got a new computer and I’m using my old one as my new server to handle a few projects I have running on multiple raspberry pi’s. I use MySQL persistence in Openhab running on one of those pi’s, but I also use a SQL database to manage my Kodi media library on another pi. Another must is a SQL database for Zone Minder (That will also be running on this machine as well).

I remembered reading in the User Manual something about multiple SQL databases and compatibility issues, so I went back to take a look:
http://docs.openhab.org/addons/persistence/mysql/readme.html

The part I’m confused by is this(found at very top of document):
Note that other SQL databases need a separate service due to incompatibilities between different SQL databases.

Can anyone explain this to me?
and offer a little help figuring out how to do this on a system running Ubuntu server 16.0.4 lts?

I understand this is out of the scope of the documentation, But I"m really unsure how to accomplish this and I think a guide would really be helpful.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me solve this, I’d really appreciate it.

I can’t speak to what they mean but can confirm that I run multiple databases on the same mysql engine. I haven’t had any issues that I’m aware of.

Is it possible that they mean this will only work with mysql and NOT other SQL type DB such as MSSQL?

If that is the case, I shouldn’t have anything to worry about then. I will create my other databases and see if I run into any issues.

Still would be nice to have this clarified though

Thank you for the quick reply

I have Kodi, openhab & owncloud all sharing a single MySQL instance on a different server to where openHAB is running, each as separate databases, and I am using the JBDC MySQL Persistence binding.

This is working brilliantly for me.

I can only second that, running multiple databases alongside the same mysql (mariadb) instance doesn’t impact on openHAB. I use JDBC to connect to the openhab database on that instance, works fine ever since migrating.

This refers to the database engine, not the database storage. So, if you want to use another SQL engine, you will need another database driver. In JDBC persistence there are different drivers for

• MySQL
  • MariaDB (though nearly identical to MySQL)
  • PostgreSQL
  • ApacheDerby
  • H2
  • HSQLDB
  • SQLite

So if you are using a SQL database other than MySQL, you will have to use another binding than MySQL persistence. There are no other restrictions.

Thank you for the clarification