My.openHAB down?

Is the service up? I am not able to login…

It is unfortunately down at the moment. I am seeing HTTP Error 502 “bad gateway” when trying to access https://my.openhab.org/ directly!
@belovictor - FYI

thanks for the information! I will wait for it to up!

Hello,

I was wondering why my.openhab is necessary. Systems depending on the availability of cloud servers are vulnerable to another set of risks (e.g. stable internet connection, stability of the services provides at the datacenter) external to the user. The QIVICON implemenation offered by Deutsche Telekom has recently suffered servere services outtakes, which showed the customers how helpless they are in this situation. Home automation, especially when used to control heating/ventilation, security systems or simply the light in the rooms, should be as reliable and secure as possible.
I therefore strive to keep home automation completely on my premises.

Will there be a way to use ITTT without my.openhab?

Down again today? Timing out.

Hi, I setup my.OpenHab yesterday but it was online and offline 2-3 times (now 11pm and has been offline since 4.49pm UK). Is that normal or am I creating the problem? Thanks.

Do you mean you can’t reach my.openhab.org? Or do you mean your openhab is shown as offline there?

IFTTT is architectured in a way that you will always have to use some cloud service in between your openHAB and IFTTT. Would it be my.openHAB or another service, this is the only way to supply data to IFTTT triggers and receive IFTTT commands.

@belovictor - is the service currently down?

Looks like it is. I cannot reach the site. Haven’t been able since yesterday.

my.openhab is necessary because otherwise you would have to have ip address that is accessible from the internet. and there is no other way than to use some kind of service. but hey, you can use other services to access your home network, maybe not as easy as my.openhab but possible. so to increase the reliability just increase the number of services you can access your network.

Hi,

Although I do not personally use my.openhab, I’m a system admin with well over a decade of field experience and I would gladly assist if I can be of any help. I already have standby/on-call shifts from my current job and monitor a couple of other small environments more or less full-time. Feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

PelliX

@digitaldan, @Kai: The service still is unstable/unreliable. Is there any official statement or even a progress to mention why it is down so often? Right at the moment it’s down again (at least for me).

There where some people offering help in this thread and also some mechanics mentioned to monitor the service.

Would be nice to hear some words from the maintaining stuff.

Thanks,
Stefan

Yes, it is indeed having issues due to load, @Kai, @MARZIMA and myself are actively working on a solution that we would like to introduce in the middle of December. I wish their was a easier / sooner fix, but we are trying to manage it for now.

1 Like

Thanks Dan and don’t worry. At least we have something to anticipate now. :wink:

1 Like

@jaydee73 thanks for being patient. Soon you can test the new foundation hosted version.
BR Mehmet

Hi guys,

As @digitaldan and @MARZIMA already leaked: We (that is the openHAB Foundation) have set up a new instance of my.openHAB (which is now called myopenHAB) at http://www.myopenhab.org/index.html at the same time the source code has been open-sourced at https://github.com/openhab/openhab-cloud (and the kudos go to both @digitaldan & @MARZIMA as well as the original author of my.openHAB, @belovictor!).

In order to use it, you will need new bundles (now called openhabcloud add-on), you can find links to the documentation at http://www.myopenhab.org/index.html as well.

Feel free to sign up there and try it out. We will do an official announcement about it this Thursday (Dec 15), until then, please feel invited as an early tester and note that IFTTT integration won’t work (as the channel still point to the current my.openHAB).

1 Like

Great news. I’m just a little bit confused if everyone now has to set up an Amazon EC2 instance (like mentioned here: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-cloud)? Or is this just relevant for your “internal” installation and not for everyone?

The docs and terms at myopenhab.org doesn’t mention an Amazon installation.

Maybe you can light this up a little bit in your official announcement on Thursday (if not already taken into account…).

Thanks!

Unless I’m mistaken, the EC2 instance is really only if you want to host your own myopenhab cloud service. You might have different SLA requirements, want to remove the dependency on 3rd parties, specific customization, etc… And you could host it on some other linux platform besides EC2. Then point the url in the config to your own hosted service, and bingo, no reliance on myopenhab.org.

I’ve been using it for a couple of days to test ( the publicly hosted one ), and so far things look good. I did figure out to use “openhabcloud:” prefix for the config settings such as expose and mode, but I see my items, the remote access works well, etc… I haven’t tried notifications only though.

Thanks to the openHAB Foundation guys for all the hard work.

Hi @tekai, @jaydee73

the EC2 installation is just an example where you can launch the openHAB Cloud. You can also use your laptop or another machine capable running node, mongo etc.
Take it as a starting guide if you want to e.g host it in the AWS cloud. It is not madatory…dont worry.

BR Mehmet