MySQL and Influx cant connect when running in docker

Increase influxdb logging in the openhab-cli

log:set TRACE org.openhab.persistence.influxdb

This way you can see what the influx binding is trying to do every change etc.

16:19:10.352 [TRACE] [b.internal.InfluxDBPersistenceService] - Tried to get item from item class class org.openhab.core.library.items.SwitchItem, state is ON
16:19:10.353 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - BewegungsmelderKHlschrankGetrNke_MotionStatus changed from OFF to ON
16:19:10.358 [DEBUG] [b.internal.InfluxDBPersistenceService] - got OnOffType value 1
16:19:10.360 [TRACE] [b.internal.InfluxDBPersistenceService] - storing BewegungsmelderKHlschrankGetrNke_MotionStatus in influxdb value 1, BewegungsmelderKHlschrankGetrNke_MotionStatus (Type=SwitchItem, State=ON)

I got the debugging enabled, but it isn’t trying to store anything with the influxdb binding.

2019-05-27 09:03:31.050 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.persistence.influxdb    ] - BundleEvent STARTING - org.openhab.persistence.influxdb
2019-05-27 09:03:31.052 [DEBUG] [.InfluxDBPersistenceServiceActivator] - InfluxDB persistence bundle has been started.
2019-05-27 09:03:31.054 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.persistence.influxdb    ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.osgi.service.cm.ManagedService}={service.id=358, service.bundleid=216, service.scope=singleton} - org.openhab.persistence.influxdb
2019-05-27 09:03:31.059 [DEBUG] [.internal.InfluxDBPersistenceService] - influxdb persistence service activated
2019-05-27 09:03:31.060 [DEBUG] [.internal.InfluxDBPersistenceService] - using default retentionPolicy autogen
2019-05-27 09:03:31.181 [DEBUG] [.internal.InfluxDBPersistenceService] - database status is OK, version is 1.7.6
2019-05-27 09:03:31.228 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.persistence.influxdb    ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.openhab.core.persistence.PersistenceService, org.openhab.core.persistence.QueryablePersistenceService}={password=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, service.id=359, service.bundleid=216, service.scope=bundle, user=openhab, url=http://192.168.1.100:8086, service.pid=org.openhab.influxdb, component.name=org.openhab.persistence.influxdb, db=openhab, component.id=219} - org.openhab.persistence.influxdb
2019-05-27 09:03:31.230 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.persistence.influxdb    ] - BundleEvent STARTED - org.openhab.persistence.influxdb

Just to rule out the wildcard in the persistance, I also tried to edit the file

Strategies {
  everyMinute : "0 * * * * ?"
  default = everyChange
}

Items {
  sensor : strategy = everyMinute, restoreOnStartup
  startRestore* : strategy = everyChange, restoreOnStartup
}

and also call the waterlevel sensor just (sensor) and I tried with sensor* in the persist file too

I now gow both Influxdb and MySQL. I am not sure what changed from the first time I tried to change to host, to the last time I tried again.

Now now both can connect to the databases.

I must be doing something wrong in my persist files, because adding a * item for the strategy, made them work.

Strategies {
  everyMinute : "0 * * * * ?"
  every15Minute : "0 0/15 * * * ?"
  default = everyChange
}

Items {
  sensor : strategy = everyChange, every15Minute, restoreOnStartup
  startRestore* : strategy = everyChange, restoreOnStartup
  * : strategy = everyChange
}

Maybe there was something in the change log from your older version to the current version.

Going to investigate a bit further, but at least it works a bit better now :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help and patience, I did learn some new things, including how to access the openhab console :slight_smile:

Oopps
 from what I read from I thought you already had that skill.
The next time I try to support someone I will try to ask for the “skill” level.

I did figure it out :wink: A bit of google magic, and I was in :smiley:

That is not how .persist files have ever worked. The * stands for “all members of this Group”. So you would need to create a Group named “sensor” and add “sensorStuff” to that Group for it to be persisted using “sensor*” in a .persist file. This is documented in Persistence | openHAB