N00b help w/ Panel and Config

Howdy, folks.

New user, need a bit of help getting pointed in the right direction.

I’m running OpenHabian (latest) on a Pi4 using WiFi and used PaperUI to add 3 ZOOZ paddle switches which are working successfully to operate my ceiling fans. I’m starting slow so that I don’t bite off more than I can chew.

Here’s what I could use some help with:

• I’d like to add the switches (and some other items) to the HABPanel, but not sure how.
  • I’d also like to add some on/off timers so that the fans turn off at night and on again in the morning, but I’m not clear on how or where to do that.
  • I remember seeing a utility that forced OpenHab to run in memory decreasing card writes. Where can I find that?
  • I’d eventually like to be able to check status and adjust controls when away from home via my Android phone. I’m guessing a VPN (I have NordVPN) is what I’d need, but could use some help with that.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Welcome!

Great! Zooz has been a help getting their devices working with openHAB.

Sorry, I do not use HABPanel but I tagged this thread for you.

That would involve rules. Try making what you envision and post here so we can help you get things functioning as desired.

I think you may be referring to ZRAM in openHABian. It may be on by default. I added a tag to this thread.

I think some people use the free myopenhab cloud service. I decided, as a network engineer, to pursue a more complex option,

Welcome! There are two options for using rule files to turn the fans on & off. You’ll need to read the documentation to get your environment set up, learn the correct folder & file names etc. I would also recommend that you use VS Code for your rule editor.

If you want to turn the fan on & off at specific times following rules will turn the fan on @ 8am and off at 10pm.

rule SetFanOn
when Time cron "0 0 8 * * ? *" 
then Fan.postUpdate(ON)
     logInfo("SetFanOn", "Fan set to {}", Fan.state.toString)
end

rule SetFanOff
when Time cron "0 0 22 * * ? *" 
then Fan.postUpdate(OFF)
     logInfo("SetFanOff", "Fan set to {}", Fan.state.toString)
end

If you want to turn the fan off & on based on sunrise & sunset the following use the following rules. You will need to install the Astro binding before before using the rules. Also, you may need to change astro:sun:local: to astro:sun:homel:. I can’t tell you why but I’ve seen both formats on the forum.

rule SetFanOn
when Channel "astro:sun:local:rise#event" triggered START 
then Daytime.postUpdate(ON)
     logInfo("SetFanOn", "Fan set to {}", Fan.state.toString)
end

rule SetFanOff
when Channel "astro:sun:local:set#event" triggered END 
then Daytime.postUpdate(OFF)
     logInfo("SetFanOff", "Fan set to {}", Fan.state.toString)
end

Whichever rules you use you will need to change the “Fan.” on the postUpdate commands to the name of your fan item. You could mix and match the rules if you like, e.g. turn the fans on at sunrise and off at sunset.

HTH

Jim

Ouch. I tend to not be a command line guy. Is there no GUI interface for this sort of thing? Back in the X10 days it was pretty easy. Hoping for a more intuitive solution.

Thanks!

There is some work on that vein. @5iver can better direct you.

What would you like the rule to be?

I thought NGRE would apply. There is a UI in Paper UI, correct?

Yes, there is a rule editor in Paper UI. I would help to compose the rule, but I was not sure what he wanted the rule to do.

Habpanel is very self explanatory. Docs are here…

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t mean to confuse you. There is an online rule engine in Paper UI that will should well for your rules.

That’s where I got stuck. I was using the OpenHab Android App and didn’t see the rules generator there. Added a rule for each fan to turn off @11PM and back on @7AM, it worked perfectly.

Adding a ZOOZ dimmer next. Learn by doing, right? :wink:

Thanks for everyone’s help!

That is not designed for administering openHAB.

I think you’ll like ZOOZ. Their support is fantastic. Good luck

1 Like