Naming Zwave Device in Habmin

The binding contains a database of devices - that’s what it’s referring to. This means your device isn’t in the database - presumably HABmin doesn’t show the device name, but instead shows the ID and Type?

My devices are both listed in the database:

The above mentioned error occured while I was changing the name or location of the Sensative strip.

HABmin doesn’t show Manufacturer ID / Device ID / Device Type / Power:

Any idea what’s going wrong here?

Thx. J.

Yes - the device hasn’t initialised, so the binding doesn’t know what the device is, so it (incorrectly) states it’s not in the database. In your case, it might be in the database, but the binding doesn’t yet know what the device is.

That means:

• reset of the USB stick
  • reset of the Sensative Strip
  • new pairing
  • new initialization in OH

might help?

Not necessarily. It might just mean that the device hasn’t woken up, or that wakeup isn’t initialised. It doesn’t necessarily mean you need to reset it and re-include it.

I would first try waking the device up with it reasonably close to the controller (lets say 5 or 10m max - it depends on your house) - it might take a couple of times to do the initialisation. Note that the controller needs to be plugged in and OH running.

@chris, you made my day :slight_smile:
Actually, I already did that “game” with waking up the device a couple of times (7x) during the installation. But for any reason this was obviously not enough. Thanks a lot for your hint.

Now works also the renaming of the the device and setting a location - even with German diacritical marks :thumbsup:

Thx. J.

The issue is related in some ways to the naming problem. Due to the naming error, the binding needs to redo discovery each time it starts. Normally it should be able to do this automatically, as the binding will wake up periodically (usually this is set to once per hour - so the device will initialise an hour or two after the binding starts). Note that the initialisation doesn’t stop if from receiving alarms…

The fact that your device didn’t initialise by itself might mean one of two things is wrong. Firstly, make sure that the masterController=true parameter is set in the config file - this tells the binding to configure a few more things in the device. Secondly, make sure that in the wakeup ‘folder’ in HABmin, that it shows the target node is node 1. If it’s not, or if the wakeup time is set to a ‘strange’ number (not something like 3600 (ie 1 hour) then I’d suggest setting the time to 3600 - you’ll then need to wake the device up again for the setting to be transferred…

[quote=“chris, post:27, topic:6287, full:true”]
Firstly, make sure that the masterController=true parameter is set in the config file - this tells the binding to configure a few more things in the device. [/quote]

Checked, parameter is set correctly.

[quote=“chris, post:27, topic:6287, full:true”]
Secondly, make sure that in the wakeup ‘folder’ in HABmin, that it shows the target node is node 1. [/quote]
Checked, parameter is set correctly.

NOK. See screenshot. For any reason this is set to 86400

I’ll change this asap.

Thanks for that additional hint.
John

Well… I guess there’s a trade here… I think from the other thread that this device is the sensitive strips, which I think you can’t change the battery (?). So, it might be better to have something a little longer to keep the battery running longer… Changing from 24 hours (86400 seconds) to 1 hour will improve battery life by a little (it won’t be 24 times, and it’s more likely only a small amount).

So, I guess it’s up to you - I know some people run all their devices at 24 hour wakeup - you just need to remember this if you want to re-configure something…

I loaded up ozwcp, set the name and location for several of my devices that had the strange characters in those fields - and it worked ! (It cleared up a bunch of the stuff I was struggling with too)

The latest build of the binding (from last nights snapshot) should include code to try and remove these unprintable characters - it would be good if someone could provide feedback on this…

Sorry, have to ask for further understanding: wake up every hour instead of wake up all 24 hours improves battery life? I was thinking vice versa…
What is the “disadvantage” if my Sensative Strip wakes up every hour?

Yes - I wrote this the wrong way around :blush: - sorry. A longer wakeup interval will improve battery life a small amount…

If it wakes up every hour versus every day, then the only disadvantage is battery life will be a little shorter - probably not a lot, but it will be shorter.

If you leave it at 24 hours, then if you want to change the configuration, then it may take a day to change (unless you wake it manually). Also, if you restart the binding and for some reason the XML file that maintains the device information gets corrupted, then it may also take a day (or more!) for HABmin to show the device information.

Note that the wakeup interval does not have any bearing on the operation of the sensor, so if the door opens, a notification will be sent immediately no matter what the wakeup setting… Wakeup is just used to tell openHAB that the device can RECEIVE configuration updates - it doesn’t impact the SENDING of notifications…

@chris, again thank you for your help and good explanation.

I’ll keep the 24 hours and I’ll also keep in mind that in case of config changes I’ll do a manual wake up.

Great support :thumbsup:

Hello!

Regarding a wake up interval and a battery life, my Aeon Door/Window sensor originaly had (if I recall correctly) one hour wake up interval, and it drained a battery really fast (one week or so). After I’ve changed it to 4 days (I really don’t mess around with the configuration a lot - and if I do, I can always wake it up manually) it’s been 3,5 months since last battery change, and the battery is still at 56%. It looks like it drains battery exponentially faster as the wake up interval shortens. This is just my experience with Aeon sensor, but it could be helpful for someone with a same problem.

Best regards,
Davor

I would suggest there were other issues at play if the battery depleted in a week. It’s likely that something was keeping it awake for long periods rather than the periodic wakeup being responsible. I have most of my devices set to 1 hour and the batteries last between 1 and 2 years…

Some time back I put together a spreadsheet to calculate the battery life - it’s not accurate as it depends on a load of things, but it provides a good indication. I’ll try and dig it out…

All that said, setting to 4 days certainly isn’t a bad thing - so long as you understand the issues :wink: - and can only improve battery life…

Hello Chris!

I’ve just tried latest snapshot of the Z-Wave binding and it does solve problem with node names. I have one Z-Wave wall plug that showed some Chinese characters in the name field (and in the node name too - all other nodes were named Node 1,2,3…), and now it’s properly named Node 6.

Best regards,
Davor

Edit: I’ve just seen your reply regarding battery life. Thank you for additional information.

That’s great - thanks for the feedback @davorf.

Another question, but not sure whether this is related to the thread topic:

When I look at the register “Network” I can see my 2 nodes. When I hoover over the displayed ring there is for both mentioned:

Does this matter?

Thx. J.

Does it matter? By itself, no, but it’s indicative that the initialisation isn’t completed. All this information is read from the device/controller when the binding starts…