Need a good guide link

I been trying to use OPENHAB2… I tried following multiple guides and eventually had a good working OPENHAB2 now i don’t know what to do next.
(my setup is OPENHAB2 on raspberry PI 2

currently using this openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup fresh install…

all I could do is see the

everything seem to be working fine but when i tried to install the GPIO bindings. through paper UI then it would crash and not ever work again… I see the ERROR -1- message on the lower right corner of my browser. Once i see that the OPENHAB2 would crash and never work again until i do a reinstall… and now I’m stuck so any help would be great.

is there a good guide and easy to follow one for GPIO for OPENHAB2 step by step since I’m newbie?

Iven seen multple guide from http://docs.openhab.org/installation/rasppi.html and none works… even installing the bindings from “sudo apt-get install openhab-addon-io-gpio” or “sudo apt-get install openhab-addon-binding-gpio” even tried using YOUTUBE guides. seem that most of them are outdated.

I did an install using "./start.sh or ./debug_start.sh and apt-get install openhab2-offline toward the end…
and using this

systemctl start openhab2.service
systemctl status openhab2.service
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable openhab2.service

and i tried restarting to those doesn’t work at all.

Hey John,
even though you are not migrating from OH2, you might find this guide quite helpful to get started in general: Migration from OH 1.x to OH 2 Tutorial (also maybe interesting: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-docs/issues/86#issuecomment-245554784)

I seem to remember there was a problem like this with the GPIO binding. This is something we/I/others should investigate further. What I can tell you however is, that no other binding known to me creates such problems.

Do you have other devices and/or bindings you would like to include? I think you will have a better time with Astro, MQTT, Network, Kodi or many of the other popular bindings in the beginning.

I did not get what you are trying to do in the end. You got openHABian as your base and should henceforth not need to do anything on the console! If you can access the webpage and the samba share, you are good to go.

One last small setback, please read: openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup - you can either wait till this problem is solved or do the fix posted a few comments later.

I’ll let you answer to the said and can help with the next steps, based on your answers.

Btw. I’m looking for people willing to contribute to the documentation. We know it’s not perfect and we are trying to do something about that! You can help by making suggestions, drawing diagrams, writing text or (if you are by any chance a web developer) by helping with css.

Best! Thomas

This is what I’m trying to do. I have a raspberry pi 2
connected to my 8 channel relay. the relay is connected to my garage (sensor
and to open the garage) the other six is connected to my heating and cooling
system for the most part I connected to the fan and only the heater part to
turn it on. It is also connected to my garden sprinkler.

I been using OPENSPINKLER PI to control my garden sprinkler
and my Vent system. I turned it in few times a day for 5 minutes to get the air
inside circulated and BLYNK to control my garage door but its buggy. Sometimes
it connect sometimes it doesn’t so I do not use it anymore. My main goal is
control my system through GPIO and would like one thing to control everything
with a nicer dashboard on my desktop. It would be actually nice to see if my
garage is open or not using the dashboard.

I’m not much of a web developer I will try to help as much
as I can but I don’t think I am a good candidate. Since I can’t even get OPENHAB2
setup correctly to control one thing. Once i get familiar with this i can probably come up with some ideas and suggestion but as of now i have nothing

thank you for your quick reply
John

I have read no end of troubles with the GPIO binding in OH. The big problem people have is on startup the pins will go high and then drop to low when OH starts up. Clearly this is not desirable behavior (you don’t want your garage door opening every time you reboot your OH server. As far as I know I don’t think this problem has ever been solved (I’d love to know I’m wrong).

So that coupled with the fact that more often than not most people do not have the ability or desire to run OH on a machine physically located close to the relays causes me to usually suggest using something else to control the GPIO and set up a communication between that something else (e.g. a Python script) and OH using the REST API or MQTT or the like.

You still get full control, full two way communication (if using MQTT in the above link) plus the added flexibility of not being forced to run OH in the same places the wires converge.

Based on my experience on this forum, I would place GPIO in the top five most challenging addons to get working for new comers and less technical people (the others are Exec, TCP Socket, Serial, and MySQL Persistence). So don’t treat your current experience with GPIO as the typical OH experience. You picked a hard one to test out (hence @ThomDietrich’s suggestion of experimenting with other bindings first).

Hey Rich, thanks for adding background info. Would you take it upon you to add a warning section to the addons readme/wiki page!?

Thank you rich for the info… I belive this problem. Was an issue to for open sprinkler pi by Dan https://github.com/Dan-in-CA/SIP/wiki/Installation. I believe he implemented the “relay plugim” where it makes it act like the relay is open. So that during system reboot the relay doesn’t act cazy. You have an option to make it default to open or close during reboot.

I also tried the opensprinkler bindings. That did work as well. Is there a good step by step link on how to make a Sitemap for openhab2. I saw a few, but the folder where they wanted to create the site map doesn’t exist (seem to me there is so many ways to create one). if i create it inside the folder of openhab2 it doesn’t work on the browser. Nothing show at all and give me error page

Regarding sitemap: A step-by-step guide will not do much. Your sitemap highly depends on your setup an therefore You need to build it step by step.
Here you can find all the needed details with an example: http://docs.openhab.org/features/sitemap.html
If you need more examples for inspiration, check out examples in the Tutorials and Examples section of this forum, e.g. this one.