Need help: first setup OpenHAB with RFXCom

Hello,

I am complete new with OpenHAB and it is very frustrating when a (I thought) simpel setup takes so much time without any result. So, here is your opportunity to make me happy :wink:

Installing OpenHABian on my Raspberry went smoothly. I also installed the RFXCom binding. When I try to find ‘things’, the RFXcom is not detected, although it is connected to usb0. When adding manually the “RFXtrx433E USB 433.92MHz Transceiver” , OpenHAB asks me to fill in the Serial number of the RFXCOM (FTDI) device. Where can I find this number?
The RFXCom stays offline…

Regards Paul.

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 mod. B
    • openHAB version: 2.2

Hi,

If I remember correct (it’s been awhile since I last did it) , you need to manually add “RFXCOM USB Transceiver” and your USB port (something like etc/TTYUSB0) needs to have dail out rights
if not yet done it, use something like “sudo usermod openhab -a -G dialout” on a CLI , openhab is the user openhab is running under (don’t know if it’s the same for OpenHABian.

There are some topic on the forum describing RFXCOM install problems.
Read https://docs.openhab.org/v2.2/addons/bindings/rfxcom1/readme.html

If you are new to openhab there is a learning curve
It took me sometime, but if you understand it a bit the reward is great.

PS and ask questions in the forum

Thank you Michiel,

I already tried this, but then I get the message: "group ‘dailout’ does not exists’.

I have some additional information found:

2018-03-07 20:16:32.657 [INFO ] [ernal.connector.RFXComJD2XXConnector] - Connecting to RFXCOM device ‘0’ using JD2XX.

2018-03-07 20:16:32.663 [ERROR] [g.rfxcom.handler.RFXComBridgeHandler] - Connection to RFXCOM transceiver failed

java.io.IOException: device not found (2)

Did you ever get this sorted out? I am having same issue and from the sounds of it others have too.

Yes I did and everything works fine and reliable. The problem is that I can’t give you much detail at the moment because I’m on holiday at the moment. The key to the solution is that you must -not- select the exact devicename but a generic RFX-com.

I hope this will help. Don’t get desperated or frustrated because at the and you will love openhab and RFXcom.

Can you take a look at this posting and see if you can spot anything that I am missing?