Need help to install OH2 on Windows

Hello.
Just starting out. I am a complete novice, especially to the use of software. I am trying to install openHAB on my laptop which is running Windows 7. Using the Installation guide for Windows I have got to item 3. When I try to start the server by entering C:\openHAB2\start.bat, the screen shown (or I think it is because it disappears so fast!) momentarily appears on the screen and then nothing happens. I’ve waited for something to appear but nothing! Any advice on what I am doing wrong or what I should do? I couldn’t see a similar topic discussed here recently.

regards
Keeperoo

What java-version do you use?

Version 8 Update 171

Open the windows command screen, change to c:\openHAB2 and run start.bat to see the problem.

Same thing happens

Got this warning before hitting run

Capture

Thats not the same thing, thats the problem. You have to decide. I would push the run-button.

I did hit the run button but I still got a flash of the script page.

please post a screenshot

It happens so quickly. I took a video and then captured the screen flash.
Capture2

Please check your environment, JAVA_HOME is not set cprrect.

I copied the info page?

Capture3

you say you habe 8.171, please correct the system variable

yes Java About - says Version 8 Update 171

Should I be putting jdk1.8.0_171?

Yes, set the correct path

Check what JDK-version do you have installed!

No luck!

I’m going to walk away from it for a while and come back to it later. The path for Java on my PC seems very long compared to what is being shown. [ C;\Program Files(x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_171\bin\javaw.exe ] I’ve tried shortened combinations of the path and I still get the same effect.

Maybe I should I uninstall Java and reload it?

You need the JDK-Version!!!

Installed the JDK version. Still no luck but different message quickly flashed up
Capture4

You installed the JDK version 10 :slight_smile:
v10 won’t work
You need to use JRE (or JDK) 8

If you use JRE (8), the JAVA_HOME System Environment Variable should point to:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_171

Ref: https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/windows.html#prerequisites