Need help understanding the MQTT binding and what is really needed to make MQTT work to talk to a Raspberry PI 3

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: _Intel PC based installation
    • openHAB version: 2.
  • Issue of the topic: I am wanting to have my Windows 10 OpenHAB server run MQTT so that it can talk to a Raspberry PI 3 or PI Zero Wireless to operate relays and monitor sensors.
  • I am trying to understand what is required on the OpenHAB server to work.
    Questionexit: Does Mosquitto need to be installed on my OpenHAB Windows 10 server?

No, you can install Mosquitto anywhere you want so long as that machine can be reached by the server running OH.

There is a Windows version of Mosquitto should you want to run them on the same machine.

Thanks Rich.
I started the instal of Mosquitto, then stopped when I discovered that I had to pay before I could load OpenSSL. Do you know it the OpenSSL that is required for Mosquitto a safe site?
I get nervous when I have to send money before I can try the software. I am much more open to a trail for x-days, then pay to continue using if I like the software.
Thanks,
Benny

Should be free.
From the OpenSSL license webpage,,

"This library is free for commercial and non-commercial use as long as

• the following conditions are aheared to. The following conditions
  • apply to all code found in this distribution, be it the RC4, RSA,
  • lhash, DES, etc., code; not just the SSL code. The SSL documentation
  • included with this distribution is covered by the same copyright terms
  • except that the holder is Tim Hudson (tjh@cryptsoft.com)."
2 Likes

Joe,
I was downloading the OpenSSL product from the site referenced in the firwst screen of the Mosquitto install.
It refers to OpenSSL - Win32 OpenSSL vXXXX Light from https;//slproweb.com/products/win32OpenSSL.html.
That installation wants a PayPal Donation at the very end.
I looked at the OpenSSL.org site and find noting baout installing it on a Windows 10 PC. Does it matter?
Benny