Nest binding not pulling in data

I double checked that there were no spaces, got a new pin, restarted openhab but that didn’t work. I then reread the installation guide which said that on a Mac, put openhab at /opt/openhab. I’d installed mine at ~/openhab. I moved openhab to /opt/openhab, fired it up and the nest binding is mostly working.
Do you suppose it could have been location specific? If not, then when I moved it, something on my system reset itself properly so that it would run.

Most of the items are loading properly but I get the following error on the ‘structures(Home).away’.

2016-03-19 17:03:58.322 [ERROR] [.o.b.nest.internal.NestBinding] - Unable to get state from data model
org.apache.commons.beanutils.NestedNullException: Null property value for 'structures(Home).away' on bean class 'class org.openhab.binding.nest.internal.messages.DataModelResponse'
	at org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtilsBean.getNestedProperty(PropertyUtilsBean.java:755) ~[commons-beanutils-1.8.3.jar:1.8.3]
	at org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtilsBean.getProperty(PropertyUtilsBean.java:846) ~[commons-beanutils-1.8.3.jar:1.8.3]
	at org.openhab.binding.nest.internal.messages.DataModel.getProperty(DataModel.java:339) ~[bundlefile:na]
	at org.openhab.binding.nest.internal.NestBinding.getState(NestBinding.java:238) [bundlefile:na]
	at org.openhab.binding.nest.internal.NestBinding.readNest(NestBinding.java:206) [bundlefile:na]
	at org.openhab.binding.nest.internal.NestBinding.execute(NestBinding.java:168) [bundlefile:na]
	at org.openhab.core.binding.AbstractActiveBinding$BindingActiveService.execute(AbstractActiveBinding.java:156) [org.openhab.core_1.8.1.jar:na]
	at org.openhab.core.service.AbstractActiveService$RefreshThread.run(AbstractActiveService.java:173) [org.openhab.core_1.8.1.jar:na]

My items file has:
String home_away "Home/Away [%s]" <present> { nest="=[structures(Home).away]" }

My best guess is that the name, “Home”, is wrong. This is the default. I don’t remember changing it and it is what I see in the app. Is there some other way to see what the name is? Or another suggestion?

You could enable TRACE logging for the binding (as described here or just add the following to logback.xml):

<logger name="org.openhab.binding.nest" level="TRACE"/>

This should dump the raw JSON to the log, from which we can determine the name for your structure. (If you paste the raw JSON here, make sure to redact out any private information like your access token, personally identifying information, etc.)

Hi a have problem with home_away

Null property value for ‘structures(Home).away’

Where i find logback.xml ??
in nest Api i add away read/write and still not work :frowning:

I’m having the same problem as the OP, I’m running OpenHAB 2.1.0.

logback.xml is only part of openHAB 1.x. Please see docs.openhab.org for how to enable logging in openHAB 2.x.

http://docs.openhab.org/administration/logging.html#config-file I’ve had a look here and can’t seem to get any trace entries into the openhab.log file.

I added; log:set TRACE org.openhab.binding.nest to the config-file. So either I’ve got the wrong file or the incorrect syntax

log:set commands don’t go in the config file. They have to be issued at the console.

Is that special to the NEST binding? Because all other log:set commands (I tried zwave and astro recently) do show up in openhab.log:

2017-06-26 20:32:53.279 [DEBUG] [org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.astro ] - BundleEvent STARTED - org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.astro
2017-06-26 20:32:54.150 [DEBUG] [ding.astro.handler.AstroThingHandler] - Initializing thing astro:sun:shutterlivingroom
2017-06-26 20:32:54.643 [DEBUG] [ding.astro.handler.AstroThingHandler] - AstroThingConfig[thing=astro:sun:shutterlivingroom,geolocation=xx,yy,altitude=2.0,interval=3600,systemTimezone=Europe/Berlin (MEZ +0200),daylightSavings=true]
2017-06-26 20:32:54.691 [DEBUG] [ding.astro.handler.AstroThingHandler] - Restarting jobs for thing astro:sun:shutterlivingroom

The problem was OP was putting log:set into userdata/etc/org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg when that command is intended to only be issued from inside the Karaf console.

1 Like

Arrgh, did not read the whole thing :grin: