Network Binding throwing exception

Hi there,
I use network binding to check on devices reachability if the device is not available then it will not be resolvable and should therefore be false in terms of pinging. Instead I think the network binding is throwing an exception.
Can someone take a look at the two examples below and tell me I may be correct, and if so given the correct link for the network binding I will raise a ticket.

2019-06-08 19:31:46.028 [ERROR] [work.internal.handler.NetworkHandler] - Configuration for hostname is faulty
java.net.UnknownHostException: BR3SO4.local: Name or service not known
	at java.net.Inet6AddressImpl.lookupAllHostAddr(Native Method) ~[?:?]
	at java.net.InetAddress$2.lookupAllHostAddr(InetAddress.java:929) ~[?:?]
	at java.net.InetAddress.getAddressesFromNameService(InetAddress.java:1324) ~[?:?]
	at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(InetAddress.java:1277) ~[?:?]
	at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(InetAddress.java:1193) ~[?:?]
	at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(InetAddress.java:1127) ~[?:?]
	at java.net.InetAddress.getByName(InetAddress.java:1077) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.network.internal.PresenceDetection.setHostname(PresenceDetection.java:101) ~[278:org.openhab.binding.network:2.4.0]
	at org.openhab.binding.network.internal.handler.NetworkHandler.initialize(NetworkHandler.java:160) [278:org.openhab.binding.network:2.4.0]
	at org.openhab.binding.network.internal.handler.NetworkHandler.initialize(NetworkHandler.java:211) [278:org.openhab.binding.network:2.4.0]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:?]
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?]
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:153) [103:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.Invocation.call(Invocation.java:53) [103:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]
2019-06-08 19:31:46.039 [WARN ] [core.thing.internal.ThingManagerImpl] - Initializing handler for thing 'network:pingdevice:7222a1a2' takes more than 5000ms.
2019-06-08 19:31:56.092 [ERROR] [work.internal.handler.NetworkHandler] - Configuration for hostname is faulty
java.net.UnknownHostException: BR3SO3.local: Name or service not known
	at java.net.Inet6AddressImpl.lookupAllHostAddr(Native Method) ~[?:?]
	at java.net.InetAddress$2.lookupAllHostAddr(InetAddress.java:929) ~[?:?]
	at java.net.InetAddress.getAddressesFromNameService(InetAddress.java:1324) ~[?:?]
	at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(InetAddress.java:1277) ~[?:?]
	at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(InetAddress.java:1193) ~[?:?]
	at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(InetAddress.java:1127) ~[?:?]
	at java.net.InetAddress.getByName(InetAddress.java:1077) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.network.internal.PresenceDetection.setHostname(PresenceDetection.java:101) ~[278:org.openhab.binding.network:2.4.0]
	at org.openhab.binding.network.internal.handler.NetworkHandler.initialize(NetworkHandler.java:160) [278:org.openhab.binding.network:2.4.0]
	at org.openhab.binding.network.internal.handler.NetworkHandler.initialize(NetworkHandler.java:211) [278:org.openhab.binding.network:2.4.0]
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor99.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?]
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:153) [103:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]
	at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.Invocation.call(Invocation.java:53) [103:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]
2019-06-08 19:31:56.101 [WARN ] [core.thing.internal.ThingManagerImpl] - Initializing handler for thing 'network:pingdevice:6614520a' takes more than 5000ms.

Thanks

Paul

Well it shouldn’t throw exceptions on this but the reason is your DNS isn’t resolving.
You’re lacking details on your setup. Eventually install arping.

Which version are you using?

According to PaperUI I have version 2.4.0 loaded.

I should point out I am a big user of mDNS so if the device is not attached to the network the broadcast to locate the device will not resolve so it needs to be unreachable in that case rather than error.

At least that is my current expectation.

Thanks

Paul

There have been quite some changes to the binding since then. Your issue might be fixed in newer versions.

Can you provide a link to the latest versions for use with OH 2.4 stable.

Thanks

That probably is the one you have installed. Sorry.

Is there a link where I can raise a ticket?

Thanks

Paul

The issue tracker is here: https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/issues but I think this is already addressed for the next version. I doubt that someone will fix it for 2.4

It’s even impossible to backport fixes with the current distribution system. openHAB is basically a rolling release (version numbers do not have any meaning).