Network Ping working?

I have the 2.4 version of the Network Binding that isn’t working with auto detection. That said everyone said manual works. So I wanted to add my iPhone and if it can’t find it then assume I’m not here. I have it setup with Pingable network device. How does this work as I’ve had my iPhone off for about an hour and the website still says it’s online? I have it configured to:

Same IP all the time.
Refresh interval 60000 ms which would be 60 seconds
Retry 3 times
Timeout in ms 5000

So from what I can tell, it will check 3 times, a minute apart and if it doesn’t ping show offline. But it’s not doing that. Is there something I should be looking at? Or does this functionality not work without enabling some other job to run the checks?

Should add the place it says “Online” is under Things then on the right shows my iPhone with a green oval that says ONLINE. Maybe I’m not understanding with ONLINE means assuming if the tests fail to ping would show OFFLINE?

Thanks.

JR

Yep, that’s about right. The Thing in PaperUI is ‘online’ when it is able to do its job, that is ping the “target”. It doesn’t tell you results of that job.

What you are interested in is the state of the online channel, which you’d normally link to an Item.

I ended up switching to a Ubiquiti UniFi binding which directly queries my Wi-Fi controller. Seems more reliable than trying to check the phones directly.

Thanks.

JR