New Binding: Amazon Echo

Binding installed
Pairing enabled
The following items created: (all examples others have posted or from wiki)
Switch HueLight “HueLight1” (gGF) [“Switchable”] {rfxcom=">F.4:LIGHTING1.X10:Command"}
Switch Hallway “Hallway Lights” [ “Switchable” ]
Switch testswitch “test switch” [“homekit:Test Switch”]
Switch bedroom_fan “Bedroom Fan” (gBedroom) [“Switchable”]

Alexa doesnt find any items
ive cleared smarthome:items and links, both had many instances
Alexa still doesnt find anything

i have a little less hair than 6 hours ago :slight_smile:

any ideas??

1 Like

Just a question as to why not combine the rules and use an if statement to filter the scenes? Im not meaning to degrade how you’ve written the rules, just making a suggestion.

Gladly following your learning curve. I have had the same experience.
Another thread suggested to unplug any hue controllers (not sure if you have one, but it looks like you might) as they broadcast on the same protocol and have alexa go into discovery again…still my alexa does not find anything from OH2 (it does find find all items from the hue bridge though) any which way I try…
Anyway, hope you can find a solution!

1 Like

For the people having issues, what exact version and build number of OH are you using, what operating system, and how did you install? FYI, I’m running OH 2.0.0 build 692 on a Raspberry Pi installed through apt, and the Hue emulation is working well with my Echo Dots.

Is there any chance a firewall is blocking the broadcast? I believe, although I am totally not sure here, that you would need to have UDP port 1900 open.

If you believe there is no firewall problem, are you able to access the following page from a web browser

http://<your_openhab_system_ip>:<your_openhab_system_port>/api/devices

So, something like this:

http://openhab:8080/api/devices

That should give you JSON output of all the properly tagged devices on your system. I believe this list is what Alexa uses to enumerate your devices, so if this page is inaccessible or blank, that would be a red flag.

Hi Anthony, I’m running OH2, not sure of the build number, where do i find that? I’m running on Windows10.

When i started diagnosing the problem tonight I suspected a network issue, however after checking my router config and Windows firewall, I realised I hadn’t enabled debug logging on the HueEmulation binding. Once debug was enabled, I could see that OH2 was receiving the broadcast from Alexa, but I couldn’t see any response.
I then installed a fresh ‘demo’ build, with a single live item from my z-wave network. I can now discover devices! This felt like a eureka moment :slight_smile:

I cannot however control the device from Alexa, She says ok when I give the command, and this is what I see in the log:
2017-01-05 21:50:49.821 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - 192.168.1.17: PUT /api/M28c1N9nNRvd12tXZPfBcSyQ58Geu1zb0tf1UUQ/lights/Light_GF_Kitchen_Plinth_Oven/state
2017-01-05 21:50:49.822 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - HuState [on: false bri: -1 hue: 0 sat: 0 xy: {0.0 0.0 } ct: 500 alert: none effect: none colormode: ct reachable: true
2017-01-05 21:50:49.822 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - HSBType 0,0,0
2017-01-05 21:50:49.823 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - sending OFF to Light_GF_Kitchen_Plinth_Oven
2017-01-05 21:50:49.878 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - 192.168.1.17: GET /api/M28c1N9nNRvd12tXZPfBcSyQ58Geu1zb0tf1UUQ/lights/Light_GF_Kitchen_Plinth_Oven

I can control the device from OH2, but not via Alexa.

Config error on my part. I now have Alexa turning lights on and off.

Woohoo!

My advice to anyone having trouble with Alexa is to try a fresh clean or demo install of OH2 and try to get Alexa working without your config added ( there will be a couple of devices needed of course to prove that Alexa is working, but keep it to a minimum)

Thanks for the support :slight_smile:

Slow Response -

Is anyone having issues with Alexa being slow to respond to a voice command?

I sometimes will tell Alexa turn on or off a light and her ring will spin and after a long delay the light may turn on or off, I’ll here an “OK” and then the command seems to trigger again.

It seems that if I follow up with additional commands they will process normally, it almost seems like she is having difficulty getting a response from OH.

I’m on a high speed network with robust wifi for Alexa and GB connectivity for OH.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

No, everything is fast and works within one second.

Another questions. Is it possible to define answers for alexa and openhab?

I’d like to say "which program is currently running on my tv?"
openhab can read the info from my enigma2 box, so all infos are there. alexa “just” need to say it.
is there any solution for this?

Are there known problems when using it in coexistance with the hue binding? And are issues solved with bad response time when using multiple Echos?

Thank you

How is there no wake word? I thought Alexa will not acknowledge anything unless you say “Alexa”? Note I also have a Sonos ONE so not sure if that has more limits around this.

Thanks.
JR