[New Binding] Ambient Weather WS-1400IP weather station

New build made for openHAB V3.x, precompiled JAR at below link.

First of all, I haven’t been able to connect to my device via telnet. It seems it’s disabled, and as far as I know, it’s the same for all Fine Offset rebranded wifi stations. Additionally you have to consider you can’t just send a petition to retrieve wunderground info because in the wifi version there isn’t any service listening to them.

It works the other way, the device sends HTTP POST every X seconds (you can configure the interval) to a number of external URLs (wunderground, ecowitt and a custom URL, which I am using to target my script). Since it looks quite difficult to set custom path in the wired IP observer and apparently the wifi one lacks every server capability and acts like a client, you may consider parting ways and creating two different bindings (keep the current binding as is and another one which listens to updates on wunderground or ecowitt format). The fact is the wifi and the wired observers look alike aesthetically but they are completely different, so I guess they should be treated as so.

Yes my wifi screen has telnet disabled as well and most of the devices in newer firmware versions also have it disabled, so telnet is out.

Yes I have tried that custom url before and it fails to work on my IPOB and it is missing as an option on my wifi screen. At least my routers logs show zero attempt to send any data when I looked but it was a long time ago and it may be worth another look.

Agree that is why I spent less than 1 hour updating this binding to V3.x and I am now happily running it under openHAB V3.0

Does not seem worth the time investment in going other routes when this works and it is only $50 to buy a hardwired IPobserver unit that works with the same outside units.

Do you think these units will work with the binding, probably I I need the IP observer module?

They all look the same.

Yes you will need to add the ipobserver unit With network port on it, making sure to make the correct frequency that matches your units. I have the same screen and the IPO works at the same time as the screen.

1 Like

I also found your Misol unit on aliexpress: € 52,73 20%OFF | Misol Outdoor sensor (spare part) for weather station wireless 433Mhz

Shipping is a bit expensive with 25€. But if you Don’t require a screen it is cheaper. I’m still looking for the IP observer sold separately.

If anyone is using this binding and openHAB V3.x I have re-written the binding from the ground up to implement UOM correctly. This now means you get automatic graphs that record the history of your weather. Metric and Imperial should be handled automatically as well.

Looking for people to Beta test it as it is now submitted for a merge into the main project. Please understand that all channels now have new names, as to merge a binding they need to be camelCase format. It is best to approach this as a new binding and to use the main UI to add items and channels. The readme docs and source code can be found here…
openhab-addons/bundles/org.openhab.binding.ipobserver at ipobserver · Skinah/openhab-addons (github.com)

Download precompiled JAR from here:
Index of /openhab/ipobserver/ (pcmus.com)

@Atsz If you want to use this binding you will need to serve an extra file that tells the binding what format the data is in, metric/imperial. Happy to give an example page source to base it from. However there is a new method you should check out that is about to get merged here…

[wundergroundupdatereceiver] Initial contribution by danieldemus · Pull Request #10105 · openhab/openhab-addons (github.com)

1 Like

Hi @matt1,

Thanks for this binding. Is brilliant for my weather station.

I have just run an update to 3.1.0.M4 and used the precompiled JAR in your post. When I try to add a thing, the thing isn’t created and I get a couple of errors. Are you able to give me any advice?

Cheers

How r u creating the thing? Textual or with the V3 UI?

Some of the channels have slightly new names and some of the errors are due to this, check the readme file from the post above and best to treat this like a new binding that is different to what you may have been already using.

Hey Matt, to keep things clean, I uninstalled my station thing before upgrading and removed the addon from the addon folder. I tried creating the thing via the v3 ui and the channel issue is logged immediately. Can you confirm for me which text file you’re talking about - assume you mean the github readme? I’ve definitely followed that and your info about using the ui to install. I’m wondering if I have an older version of the weather logger with different fields and so the scraper is failing? Attached is a screenshot of the live data page of my weather logger.

Any other ideas?

Yep read that and definitely installed via UI. Still get the error. Also tried clearing the cache but still get the error when trying to create a new thing.

Im also on 3.1.0.M4 and get the same error as @yobobby

I can confirm it happens here if I remove and try to re-add the thing, working on a fix.

@Nanna_Agesen
@yobobby

Tested the fix very quickly and appears to be working and new jar is uploaded with todays date on it.

1 Like

Perfect - it works :slight_smile:

I have an issue with “batteryOutdoor”

It return Null, the batteryIndoor works and so do all other channels.

Thanks for reporting back.

I have noticed that some channels may do something weird for the first few minutes/updates. If it continues to play up you can enable TRACE modes on the binding which will give more info to fault find with.

log:set TRACE org.openhab.binding.ipobserver

I looked and it seems to list everything else except the battery status so in your case is not helpful… Best to inspect the source of the livedata page and paste the lines that refer to the battery status. Your firmware may have another html class which I have seen this for other fields before.

name=inBattSta
name=outBattSta

<tr> 
                    <td width="533" bgcolor="#EDEFEF"><div class="item_1">Indoor Battery Status</div></td>
                    <td width="307" bgcolor="#EDEFEF">
                    <select name="inBattSta" class="item_2" disabled="disabled"  style="WIDTH: 120px">
                            <option value="0" selected >Normal</option>
                            <option value="1"          >Indoor Bat Low</option>
                    </select></td>
                </tr>  
                <tr> 
                    <td width="533" bgcolor="#EDEFEF"><div class="item_1">Outdoor Battery Status</div></td>
                    <td width="307" bgcolor="#EDEFEF">
                    <select name="outBattSta" class="item_2" disabled="disabled"  style="WIDTH: 120px">
                            <option value="0" selected >Normal</option>
                            <option value="1"          >Outdoor Bat Low</option>
                    </select></td>
                </tr>  

@matt1

I think the problem is with my firmware, it supports two ID and battery sensors.

Mine is named “OutBattSta1” you got “OutBattSta”

If you got some spare time, can you add support for this?

Im running the AmbientWeather 4.6.1 Firmware on my IPObserver

<td bgcolor="#EDEFEF"><div class="item_1">Outdoor Sensor ID and Battery</div></td>
                    <td bgcolor="#EDEFEF">                    
                        <input name="Outdoor1ID" disabled="disabled" type="text" class="item_2" style="WIDTH: 80px" value="0x00079" maxlength="12" />
                        <input name="outBattSta1" disabled="disabled" type="text" class="item_2" style="WIDTH: 100px" value="Normal" maxlength="12" />
                    </td>

I never have spare time :slight_smile:
This is probably very low on the to do list because in the 4 years I have had my outdoor unit it has never needed a battery change and newer models have no battery but use a super capacitor instead with a solar panel on the outdoor units. Have you ever seen it change?
I’ll wait for more feedback from other people as I have seen this happen before for the wind speed channel that can be named two different things depending on firmware, if there are multiple changes needed they can be done at the same time.

No never had the need for battery change :slight_smile:

I had the Aercus firmware originally installed, and they actually had the wind speed channel defined differently.

Updated the ipobserver firmware to ambient version to make that work.

Try the latest zipped jar, it was simple to add support.