New binding for viessman boiler

Hi,

I create a binding to connect openHAB busEvent with vcontrol deamon.
Vcontrol is a software is maintained by the openv community. It allows to communicate with viessmann boiler through the optolink port.

How can I share my work to allow everybody use it and benefit of the community feedback?

My fork’s name is taupinfada/openHab and the right branch is 1.8.0_viessmann .
Thank’s for your help,

Félix

Hi Félix,
Great. Could you advise
a) what protocoll did you use,
b) is it necessary to adopt the vcontrold.xml and vito.xml (in case you use vcontrold),
c) can you choose the usb port also on a foreign machine?
Thanks for your reply.
Cheers
Björn
PS: I use the vcontrold program, a d-link 505 and connect everything via sernet. OpenHAB gets information via excec binding and the vcontrold commands.

Hi Björn,
Thanks for your interest,
a) I use telnet protocol.
b) You must use to vcontrold.xml and vito.xml to run vcontrold. But the binding doesn’t need to know them. It consults the available commands through the result of the instructions “commands” and “details”.
c) You can not choose the usb port from openHAB thanks to this binding.

Hi Félix,
Thanks for your reply.
You wrote “you can not choose the usb …”, so how is the optolink detected?
Cheers
Björn
PS: I have an older model which uses the GW protocol, is your binding supporting this?

Hi,

i think the binding don’t have to connect to usb. The bindings talks to vcontrold and vcontrold connects via usb/optolink to the heating.

Greetings
Dennis

Hi,

you can post a link to a build binding jar, so that other users can test your binding.
Also you have to write a WIKI Page where you can describe the usage and configuration of the binding.

If the binding is testet by other users, you can create a PullRequest (via GitHub) and link this forum Thread in the PullRequest.

Greetings
Dennis

Hi all,

is that binding somehow related to this --> binding for viessmann heating systems?

cheers,
stefan

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for your reply. But acc. to my limited knowledge, vcontrold needs vito.xml and vcontrold.xml. Thus both files need to fit to the kind of Viessmann boiler used.
Am I wrong?
Cherrs
Björn

Hi Björn,

You are right, Vcontrold needs the files “vito.xml” and “controlled.xml” to interact with Viessmann boiler. But like explained by Dennis, the binding doesn’t need to know something about the boiler or usb used. It needs only to know the ip address and the port to connect to vcontrold.

Thank you for your advices. I will create a wiki to explain how to use to the binding.

Hi poertner,

Thank you for your link.The binding’s Steand is more ambitious than mine.
I will look at his work and try it. And I will see if our two bindings must be maintained or if the binding’s Steand covers my needs.

Hi Félix,

Good job. Prior look also to Stefan’s commend afore (referring to https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/issues/151).

Cheers
Björn