New Binding: Hue Emulator - Amazon Echo integration

Good question +1

I found I had to enable Amazon Echo device discovery fix before enabling Device Pairing after upgrading to the OH2 2.4.0 snapshot that included the new ESH HueEmulation bundle, i.e., Alexa had to rediscover all of my devices. See attached image.

There are some quirks in the updated implementation, but it is working for me.

I am running OH 2.4 M7
I donā€™t even have a hue brigde in things and cannot add one, because the there is no option to add a hue brigde in PaperUI.
The Hue emulation is active though.

One commit has broken the emulation. Please wait for:

https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/pull/4324

The hue emulation is a service, not a binding. There is no Thing, except if you have the hue binding as well. In that case the Thing is offline, because the emulation is broken :smiley:

Cheers, David

I tried that as well, but Alexa does not recover anything.
In previous versions I had all the items recovered in Alexa without issues (Lights, rollershutter, ā€¦)

Hey there!

Iā€™m also having issues with the latest Hue Emulation. After upgrading to SNAPSHOT 2.4, I received the following errors in the log when start / installing hue emulatiion service:

2018-12-08 18:09:44.368 [ERROR] [me.storage.json.internal.JsonStorage] - Couldn't deserialize value 'org.eclipse.smarthome.storage.json.internal.StorageEntry@c76f39'. 
Root cause is: org.openhab.io.hueemulation.internal.dto.HueDataStore$UserAuth cannot be found by org.eclipse.smarthome.storage.json_0.10.0.201812070742 

2018-12-08 18:09:44.393 [WARN ] [me.config.core.internal.ConfigMapper] - Could not set field value for field 'pairingTimeout': For input string : "60.0"

I ended up using the v2.3.0 of the hue emulation via the addons folder. Seems to work fine!

Best regards,
Marcel

That error is fixed in

2 Likes

Hi there!

since a few weeks I am having trouble with Alexa and HUE Emulation.
I had to rediscover to get all devices working ā€¦
Then, all of a sudden itā€™s simply not working any longer :weary:
Even discovery fails. No way to get it up and running again.
May this be related to an update ? (on OH site or Amazon)

Tx for your help.

Amazon is constantly updating their firmware, yes.
There is a fix in the pipeline for newer firmwares (see Github PRs).

Cheers, David

1 Like

Tx David, I found the PR.
Any hint for the timeline to fix this?
Ciao
John

The build server is unfortunately not happy with the change.
A radical solution would be to disable tests for hue emulation.

Unfortunately I do not have time myself to look into this at the moment. As soon as the build server is happy, Iā€™ll merge the change asap.

Can I ask why you would use this binding instead of the other amazon echo binding? are there advantages this one has over the other?

You clearly havenā€™t read the readmes of both bindings :smiley: the hue api is also used by apps, allows other HA systems to interact with OH and so on. Itā€™s not just for Alexa.