New binding Resol VBUS

Yes I understand. @jhardy08 which solar/system controller do you use? Is it by chance one that can be extended with an EM module?

The issue with writing parameters is, that the changes are stored in flash memory in the device and this will wear out. Manually you will not reach the limit, but if you are using a machine (e. g. openhab) to change the parameters it could easily be reached after a few months or years. So I am not too happy about allowing to change parameters (beside the effort :slight_smile:)

On the other side, I am working on support for emulating such an EM device, which could extend some (not many, but at least the MX and the BXPlus) controllers by additional relays and sensors - and those will be a good fit for the OH interface to emulate room control units and even virtualize temperature sensors (and feed the outdoor temperature from the OH connected wheather station or even an online service) instead of measureing it physically with the controller.

The installation is controlled by a Deltasol MX with an EM module and connected to a DL2 datalogger.

Writing parameters is indeed not a good idea in these conditions.
But if it’s possible to emulate room control units it may give some control.

ok, if you have an MX it will be an option to let openHAB be a second EM, then you can control vitually everything by stimulating temperatures and room control units as you like. But this will definitly not be ported back to OH2 :frowning:

@ramack I plan to switch to OH 3 in the next months and will start testing next week so if it work in OH 3 it wold be perfect for me.
Thanks

@bernhard good.

On my local machine I have already a fixed version of the library integrated in the OH3 version which should avoid the problem.

Nice job, I have also setup an OH3 instance. If you need some testing please let me know.

It’s from the middle of the rework for the review in the PR for merging it into the openHAB repository, but here is a version that should work.
As said, it is not yet cleaned up and there might be some further changes in names and types of channels or alike, but I’d be happy if you could give it a try and see.
The README gives some more details.

The support of the simulated BAS (room control unit) is quite fresh and based on reverse-engineering the resistor values, but maybe it works already for you :slight_smile: - and here it is likely to have a change in the channel type to support symbols instead of the numeric modes.

I have now OH2 and OH3 connected to the same DL3.
So far so good, OH2 keeps on opening new tcp connections whereas OH3 has only one.
Good job!

Great, thanks for testing and letting me know.

12 days on and only one active connection on OH3.

Hi @ramack
Thank you for the OH3 binding :ok_hand:
I’ve successfull scan and install my bridge : KM2
the “deDietich 2007” device has been configured and all channels are working great.
I’ve finally removed all those to create them via text-config files. (personnal preference)
The only thing that I need to fix is the refresh rate. Should be 60000 but the update is more frequent :thinking:
Great job. Thank you

Thanks for the feedback, I’m happy that it works. The refresh of the data is maybe not really clear. Actually the data update is done by the binding as the controller is transmitting the data (the binding doesn’t poll it) the configurable refresh time is only relevant in case the connection fails to try to reconnect. I once though I could remove it and just use a fix time, but for now I have kept it.

Also the PR seems to reach the final track and hopefully it will be part of the next official OH release.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback I received here and all your patience to get this one here done. The binding is now officially included in the openhab source tree and will be part of the next milestone build and the 3.1 release.

3 Likes

Good jobs @ramack
Good news :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes, really good news!
Thanks for your efforts to get this done!

wow, as i planed to switch to OH3 i feared that RESOL will be an issue, but i see that @ramack already did the great migration part, thanks a lot!!!

Is the binding already in the IOTmarket or needs to be added manually from your snapchat file?
Cheers,
Norbert

Marketplace is not used anymore for the resol binding for OH3. (Maybe in general for OH3) and in OH3.1 it will be directly included in the basic setup.

Since around openhab-3.1.0-SNAPSHOT Build 2316, the binding can be installed directly in OH.
With the current binding, however, the first letters of the channels are written in lower case, before they were upper case.
But this is only noticeable with an existing installation that is made via text files.

old:  {channel="resol:device:bridge:DeltaSol_BS_DrainBack:Temperature_sensor_1"}

new: {channel="resol:device:bridge:DeltaSol_BS_DrainBack:temperature_sensor_1"}

Ah yes, sorry. Forgot to mention that, I reworked it due to the review findings for the inclusion in the official source tree. Additionally there have been some changes:

• using UnitsOfMeasurement more consequent, so it should now have full support of °C and °F etc.
  • changing the language should work live and some more details are translated (into German)
  • Some channels have been there in two versions previously: a numeric one and a string representation (e. g. operating_state and operating_state-str for a heating circuit). This is replaced by state options, that should now support numeric states with labels.
  • discovery is not started automatically but you have to click on “scan” to search for things
  • EM devices are now fully supported and can be emulated by the binding, such that you can simulate sensors and heating circuit remote controls connected to resol controllers supporting it (e.g. the DeltaSol MX)

I hope this is the complete list of user visible changes.

In case you are interested in translation to any other language, don’t hesitate to raise your voice and we can see how to integrate it. But be aware that for some things that are translated already by the used library only French, English and German are supported.

Thanks @ramack for the binding, good work. :+1: