New binding suggestion: Wavin AHC 9000 / Jablotron AC-116

Its a pity! I really wish that somebody with good Java skills could pick up Peter’s work and make it compatible with future releases of OH3 if Peter won’t have time himself.
BTW, just tried to upgrade to 3.1.0 and received the following error:
2021-08-08 15:27:39.606 [WARN ] [org.apache.felix.fileinstall ] - Error while starting bundle: file:/openhab/addons/org.openhab.binding.zmartmodbus-3.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.binding.zmartmodbus [236]
Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.openhab.core.io.transport.serial

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:463) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.16.200.jar:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.start(EquinoxBundle.java:440) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.16.200.jar:?]
at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundle(DirectoryWatcher.java:1260) [bundleFile:3.6.8]
at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundles(DirectoryWatcher.java:1233) [bundleFile:3.6.8]
at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.doProcess(DirectoryWatcher.java:520) [bundleFile:3.6.8]
at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.process(DirectoryWatcher.java:365) [bundleFile:3.6.8]
at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.run(DirectoryWatcher.java:316) [bundleFile:3.6.8]

Are you seeing the same?

@zmartify, we’d very much appreciate if you could provide a jar that works with 3.1.0…

Hi guys,

Long time no show from my side and i see we are still in need of this binding and zmartify is still helping build and maintain it.

I finally transitioned to OH3.1.0 and tried to run this. I did not even try with the jar in zmartify’s repo as many of you reported that it does not work for OH 3.1.0. Instead i tried to rebuild it for OH3.1.0 and i believe i have succeeded.

See if it works for you: GitHub - b-r-y/org.openhab.binding.zmartmodbus: Zmartify Modbus binding for OpenHAB 2
It’s a fork from zmartify’s repo with some adjustment to make it build in OH3.1.0. I am no Java expert so my “fix” is probably not a correct one but it builds and it also works on my Synology DSM7 as a docker (only basic validation for now).

The instructions are as zmartify has said - get the zip, unzip in the addons folder and manually add the serial Modbus + Wavin bridge. After that the thermostats were discovered automatically for me.

I myself have not validated it fully - just got some basic temperature reads and i could control the thermostats. Don’t know if the rest will work. Let’s see.

In the forked repo i have only updated the zip. I build from another place. If there is interest i can put in the code changes but at this point i have no intention to maintain this fork - just a way to post the zip file here.

Let me know if it works for you.

Small update - i am able to get the same functionality i was using before.

on OH 3.1.0: image

As far as i can tell my “fix” is somewhat successful… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice. I am just now transitioning to 3.1, so this comes at a very fortunate time :slight_smile:

Hi everyone. I apologize because I am coming with a lot of noob questions, hopefully, someone will be awesome and patient enough to help me.

My settings:
I have Wavin AHC 9000 (default without display), two wireless controllers (Jablotron TP-150), and one manual turning heat control connected to it.

I have moved into a house where I can finally do some automation and get it a bit smarter, but going through this thread is quite overwhelming so I will try to categorize my questions.

Can the OpenHab integration do what I would like it to:

• Currently I can only see led indicator that some rooms are heating on the main panel (and then go to separate rooms to check the controller) From what I read here I would be able to see the whole status of the house including preferred and measured temperatures right?
  • Can I set different temperatures based on time of day / different conditions? (No need to heat up above X while I am not home)
  • Can I set the current temperature through this integration? Right now in my office even though it is warm sometimes I can feel cold at my feet. So my idea would be to put up different temperature sensors around the room and programmatically choose the temperature, which I would pass to floor heating.
  • One of my rooms (bathroom) does not have a remote control, just classic turn control on the floor, can that room be also controlled remotely, with the possibility to feed temperature for it?
  • Can I integrate heating with HomeKit? I read about the integration of OpenHab with HomeKit but I just wondering anyone has it up and running and if it works well.

Hardware questions:

• I would like to run openHab on spare raspberry pi I have at my disposal (with 8GB RAM), will that be sufficient?
  • Do I understand correctly that I do not do any modification to Wavin AHC 9000, besides connecting the RJ45 cable into the slot?
  • I need to strip RH45 cable and connect it into USB to RS485 converter
  • Any suggestion where to buy such a converter (Denmark/EU ideally)? (I know now is the worst time to buy chips :D)
  • I found this https://hjelmslund.eu/Files/Product%20sheet%20-%20USB485-MB45.pdf would that work out of the box, or do you recommend doing it manually by myself instead?

Bonus questions:

• Wavin AHC 9000 seems to be almost standard in Denmark (I have seen this system in all houses having underfloor heating when house hunting), but on the other hand, it seems to be in Denmark only. Is there any reason for that?
  • In the near future I plan to renovate the lower floor and add underfloor heating there too. Would it make sense to look at other options that Wavin AHC 9000 might be easier to integrate, or is it something not feasible?
  • Waving AHC 9000 is using Jablotron (Czech company) Modbus and wireless temperature sensors, are the components from Jablotron industry standard or is there any specific reason for that?

I am new to OpenHab and home automation in general but my ideal setup would be the heating (the only fixed hardware I have) + Zigbee/Zwave hub to eliminate the need for all the other hubs and be able to pick and choose smart electronics independently on the provider. So for example some fancy temperature control and meters for the heating. And then integrate everything also with HomeKit.

Thank you to everyone who can answer any of the questions.

Hi Stepan,

and welcome to the fun of integrating with Openhab. You seem to have big dreams and you are lucky as just about anything you ask for can be done in Openhab. I’d imagine most of us run some variation of the set up you describe.

First things first:
You should read this: How to ask a good question / Help Us Help You

You are asking a lot of questions and most are important BUT not for this thread!

Nonetheless, I will try to point you in the right direction but if you want to follow up please do so only on the topics related to the WAVIN9000 automation here. For the rest - read a bit more, then if you still don’t have an answer make a new topic/post - but you will find an answer in the forums :slight_smile:

Answer: yes :slight_smile:

Answer: Yes the main controller only shows single LED (red/green) depending on status. And yes once you get this binding working with Openhab you can do just about anything. See current temperatures (measured by the thermostat units in the rooms), current set temperature (what temperature your thermostat is aiming at), hysteresis, wireless control signal levels, and many more. You have basically low level programming access to the guts of the system.

Answer: yes. This is where the power of openhab comes. You connect to your equipment and then automate whatever you want. You will likely have to do some scripting but in OH3 you can do that simpler with Python (never tried it myself…)

Answer: yes but you need to be careful a bit because you start sounding like you want to treat the floor heating like a radiator. Any floor heating system will have hours of response time to any change. The command to raise the temperature for example 5 degrees will be accepted immediately but t will be 3-4 hours before you feel it. I am not sure some of the fine controls you want to do are achievable with floor heating at all. Lowering the temperature when not home only makes sense if you will be gone for more than few days i think. Not for 8 hours while at work.

Answer: probably but you need to be specific as to what that turn control is.

Answer: This is topic for another thread. In general yes homekit integration is possible and if the docs say it work i believe it does. I myself don’t use it. See: HomeKit Add-on - System Integrations | openHAB

Answer: seem so to me. Follow up on this with other threads if needed after carefully reviewing this: https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/openhabian.html

Answer: Correct

Answer: Correct

Answer: See some earlier posts here with example HW. For example:

What you have found seems like the right thing. Check the pins we described in the posts and if all matches and you are happy with the length of cable - by all means get the ready made solution.

Opinion: Danfoss and Nilan systems are also widespread in DK. Wavin is a sub-company of some Mexican multinational. They are big and widespread - don’t think it’s in DK only.

Opinion: If you get Wavin working why would you want to change? It seems fairly simple to me to add channels to the Wavin system and if you get one working in Openhab then you got them all.

Nice plan. See this for inspiration: https://community.openhab.org/c/tutorials-examples/10
And post there your solution when done :slight_smile:

Cheers

Thank you very much for answering all my questions.

I agree, but hopefully, I will be able to do something smart like starting heating before the temperature hits the threshold when I see it’s decreasing and the temp outside is maybe lower than usual.

It looks like the classical old dumb one so my wishful thinking is it might but wired to the heating anyway.

I am mainly just fishing for options, the main reason would be that I don’t like having a system with only documentation/manuals I can find in Danish and if there is another solution that could be integrated without wiring it would be nice. But I don’t expect there is something that would make it worth the switch.

I will be starting with some easier parts of OpenHAB but once I will get to heating I will make sure to share :wink:

Hi Mikkel,

Did you ever get those party/holiday modes to work?

I have 150 thermostats and i am now under the impression they are not the programmable ones and therefore this is not supported. Yet I am somehow understanding that using the screen this setting should be possible per channel/thermostat so i am a bit confused…

I never got around to getting the party/holiday modes working.

If my memory serves me right, when using the Wavin display you set holiday/party mode for the whole system, but the protocol describes setting this per thermostat. Each thermostat has a number of different setpoints, one of them being holiday, and the setpoint which is actually used to control the actuators depend on the mode of the thermostat.

So if a thermostat is set in holiday mode, it uses the holiday setpoint and also shows the suitcase icon on the display.

I think the user interface on the thermostats is limited to some simple functions, so setting holiday/party mode requires the Wavin display (or it should be possible from OH).

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly my understanding as well and i can actually see the various mode temperatures once i make the items in OH with the binding but the mode switch item does not seem to take effect. I don’t have the screen so i cannot try that.

So i am now thinking that perhaps the modes are only supported on programmable thermostats (which i don’t have - mine are 150 while the programmable ones are 155 from what i gather). But perhaps there is a master mode on the mother unit which is actually not exposed by the binding…

I am pretty sure mine are 150’s as well, and when I had the display connected, I had the option to change the modes. A very long time ago I tried using the binding as well, and at that point it did not work, but I was under the impression that it was fixed, although I never tried it. I will see if I can squeeze in a little test once I have the binding working on OH3.

Hi again,

I have now pushed my so called “fix” to the my fork of zmartify’s binding:GitHub - b-r-y/org.openhab.binding.zmartmodbus: Zmartify Modbus binding for OpenHAB 2

I have not updated the zip as it was done last time - i have only added the code changes in this commit.

I have found the that the closeQuetly method from the OUtils library is deprecated and that caused the binding not to work or build. See here: IOUtils (Apache Commons IO 2.7 API)

I believe this is what Peter sees in this line:

Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.apache.commons.io; version="[2.2.0,3.0.0)"

More on the deprecation here: [IO-504] Deprecated of all IOUtils.closeQuietly() methods and use try-with-resources internally - ASF JIRA

If you read to the end you will actually see that the method has been un-deprecated… So perhaps if we were just patient enough all would have been fine by OH3.2.0. Who knows… And more importantly who wants wait? :slight_smile:

So i have written my first 5 lines of Java code ever following this guide: The try-with-resources Statement (The Java™ Tutorials > Essential Java Classes > Exceptions)
It is supposedly the recommended way of dealing with the deprecation.

I have used the official getting started developer guide to set up the environment: Developer Guide | openHAB

There were plenty warnings and errors from the official maven build environment so i also turned those off and i could build with :

mvn clean install -U -am -DskipChecks -DskipTests -Dspotless.check.skip=true -Dohc.version=3.1.0

The result is in the zipped jar file in the github link. The other two jars are from zmartify’s original repo.

Someone who knows more about java should review this “fix”. This post is mostly to document for my future self what i did if i need something like that 2 years from now :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Hi
Seems i was a bit too late, but I also made a similar amateur fix
I did include more libraries than Katerica (see my zip), so For what its worth:
[GitHub - pedefede/org.openhab.binding.zmartmodbus-master-3.1]

(Its running flawless on my environment: RaspberryPi4+OH3.1)

1 Like

Hi @katerica,
I have managed to get the binding from your github repo working on my OH3.2 :smiley:

I will try to do some experiments with the holiday and party modes.

PS: I noticed in @zmartify’s repository that he made a commit on Dec 5th with the message "Updated to openhab 3.2.0-snapshot. However, there is no updated jar-file.

Hi Mikkel,

Glad to hear it worked!

I had a look at the code on the party modes and i think there are more than one bugs there as i tried and failed several times to fix what seemed out of place to me. Without knowing what to expect and if this is even supposed to work on my system, i am a bit reluctant to sink more time into it. It’s a nice but not a must have feature for me. I think best way to proceed would be if :

• you can check against the screen and see if things are indeed HW supported with the Wavin screen (it is my understanding you had that)
  • we compare notes and make sure Wavin HW is the same and supposed to support this
  • I can share some of my experiments with @zmartify and point towards what i think are bugs and he can properly fix them… my skill are limited here.

For the 3.2 update i also saw that and as far as i can see it also fixes the bug - just in a more elegant way than me :). I don’t think there are any mode changes - whatever you try with the 3.1 will be the same with the updated 3.2 i think.

I can make the JAR file if you need me. Chances are however, when 3.2 is really ready @zmartify will just make a release.

Cheers.

Hi Katerica,

You are welcome to send more information about “I can share some of my experiments with @zmartify and point towards what i think are bugs and he can properly fix them…”

Cheers, Peter

Hi @zmartify ,

I was trying to get the modes working. After going through the code to the best of my abilities, i concluded there should be small letter here:

jablotron_modeset instead of Jablotron_modeset - looks like a typo to me.

I tried to rebuild with that but did not work… Perhaps you can see something more?

cheers and thanks a lot for all your wonderful work!

Hi @katerica, @spiff42,
Thanks for the great work!
I’m also planning to upgrade from OH 3.0.2 to OH 3.2. Wavin is the only binding I need from OH, which version of jars work with OH 3.2?

Edit: I seem to get it working.
Anybody got the problem that sometimes it works and sometime doesn’t when setting target temperature?

The only great work here is from zmartify :).

I just moved to OH3.2 and it seems to work fine. I am still using the jar i built but will in the next few days switch to zmartify’s latest jar - i saw he put it on github in Jan.

The sometimes work sometimes doesn’t part… no clue. Remember that these thermostats are low power so refresh can take 10 min. Perhaps just wait? Sometimes doing something on the thermostat triggers update?

Cheers

Hi @katerica thank you for your reply and also managed to get it work.
Are your thermostat wireless? I have wired thermostats so maybe there are some differences.
When I control the thermostat it turn on/off valve almost immediately with no delay, however via OpenHAB when I set a temp it can take 20-30 seconds to react and sometimes it flip back to the old value (the change doesn’t take effect). I suspect it has something to do with the pulling interval but have no idea how it works inside. Nevertheless overall I’m happy with the solution thanks to everyone :slight_smile: