New EvoHome Binding

There are two set points. CurrentSetPoint and SetPoint.

Current set point displays the current value read only.

The idea is SetPoint would be writable to change the value with Evohome. That being said this isn’t implemented yet as you need a temperature and a duration (if you’ve used the native who home app you know you will always have to set an “until” when manually overriding the temperature) this doesn’t really work very well for openhab so I’m not sure how I’m going to implement it yet (hence it doesn’t work).

Hope that helps

Thanks Sean. That’s indeed what I was afraid of. The binding doesn’t seem to want to update; it keeps a cached version somewhere.

Maybe this will do the trick (I learning still too, bear with me :slight_smile: )

openhab> bundle:list | grep Evo
248 | Active   |  80 | 2.1.1.201706121242    | Evohome Binding
openhab> bundle:update 248 file:/opt/openhab2/addons/org.openhab.binding.evohome-2.1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar

Where 248 is the number you found with bundle:list | grep Evo and the path is the full path to your addons directory.

Hope this helps!

Update:

This should work as well if I may believe the ‘man’ page:

bundle:update "Evohome Binding" file:/opt/openhab2/addons/org.openhab.binding.evohome-2.1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar

209 | Active | 80 | 2.1.1.201706011308 | Evohome Binding
openhab> bundle:update 209 file:/usr/share/openhab2/addons/org.openhab.binding.evohome-2.1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
209 | Active | 80 | 2.1.1.201706011308 | Evohome Binding

It didn’t update / was already on the latest version i have. It looks to me that you are using a newer version?

have restarted openhab but still not updating unfortunately.

I think it is just the timestamp of the file. Could you try to recopy from here?

I hope you don’t mind I’m using you to figure out the most reliable way to update the binding. Thanks for your patience!

Happy to test where i can, it’s a binding i’ve been desperate for but unfortunately i don’t understand coding enough to contribute there.

Anyway, looks to me like the binding is updating fine. Below shows the existing version, i then deleted it from the addons folder, then added 2.10 version, then back to 2.11 from your link above. All appear to correctly update in the karaf console:

209 | Active   |  80 | 2.1.1.201706011308    | Evohome Binding
210 | Active   |  80 | 2.1.0.201705221349    | Evohome Binding
211 | Active   |  80 | 2.1.1.201706011308    | Evohome Binding

I’m not sure what the date number is after the version, but yours is still showing different to mine even after re-installing.

Suffice to say, after the above and a restart i still don’t get the setpoint updates.

I did a little bit of quick testing this morning. I used the link in post 84 and built a new OH2 instance on my Mac with just the EvoHome binding in it. Copying in the basic items file & sitemap allowed me to get the current temperatures but I’m still not seeing the SetPoints or SetPointStatus values.

Logs show the SetPoints changing from NULL to 0.

I haven’t done anything via the karaf console, as it’s a clean OH2 install.

Hi Nick and Sean,

Thanks for your input. Yesterday I had a little time on hand and did a clean install check as well. I got the same results as you did. I put up a fresh binary here and tested that as well. I hope this solves your issues. Please use Karaf’s bundle:update as described before as that seems to be the recommended way to go.

Sorry for the hickup! I will from now on check on a clean install myself :wink:

Also: I just sold my house and the new owners bought my evohome setup with it. That means that I will probably will be out of a system, at least for a while. I’ll probably/maybe install a new setup in my new place (which will then also control the hot water). But I have other stuff to buy there as well which has higher priority :slight_smile:

Maybe Neil can support you while I am unable to?

That new version has done the trick :-). I didn’t read your full post and simply removed the old jar and replaced with the new in the addons folder. It then worked instantly.

1 Like

Just to add, in the Paper UI it still does not show the setpoint. From Neil’s post this is because the setpoint used as a channel is there for future use to actually set a new setpoint. You need to add a new item manually like this:

Number Bedroom1_Radiator_Target_Temp "Bedroom 1 Radiator Target Temp [%.1f °C]" <temperature> (gEvohome) { channel="evohome:heatingzone:XXXXXXX:Bedroom1:CurrentSetPoint" }

I think it would be useful to add a default channel for CurrentSetPoint so that it automatically adds when new things are added.

Just to confirm that with a completely clean OH2 and the SNAPSHOT-2.jar I can now see the (newly named) ‘Current Set point’ values for all my rooms.

All three channels are listed in PaperUI (‘Temperature’, ‘Current Set point’ & ‘Set point status’) and all show up in both PaperUI control and in my sitemaps as expected after defining them in my heating.items file:

Number      Heating_GF_Lounge           "Lounge Setpoint [%.1f °C]"             <heating>       (GF_Lounge, Heating)    { channel="evohome:heatingzone:xxxxxxxx:Lounge:CurrentSetPoint" }
Number      Heating_Status_GF_Lounge    "Lounge Setpoint Status [%.1f °C]"      <heating>       (GF_Lounge, Heating)    { channel="evohome:heatingzone:xxxxxxxx:Lounge:SetPointStatus" }
Number      Temperature_GF_Lounge	    "Lounge Reported Temp [%.1f °C]"        <temperature>	(GF_Lounge, Heating)	{ channel="evohome:heatingzone:xxxxxxxx:Lounge:Temperature" }

In PaperUI control the ‘Set point status’ value is a ‘-NaN’, in my sitemaps it just shows as a ‘-’. This is expected based on Neil’s comments earlier.

Just to also note that in the initial run of a clean OH there were a lot of errors generated about the EvoHome binding, but they were not repeated on a subsequent restarts.

UPDATE: I can also see the mode.

You are correct. I just removed and readded all my things and now it creates a channel with CurrentSetPoint rather than SetPoint

Hi guys,

Good to hear! To answer a couple of question:

In PaperUI control the ‘Set point status’ value is a ‘-NaN’, in my sitemaps it just shows as a ‘-’. This is expected based on Neil’s comments earlier.

Almost: Neil refers to SetPoint, SetPointStatus is a String, so therefore it shows up as -NaN: it’s not a Number :wink:

Just to also note that in the initial run of a clean OH there were a lot of errors generated about the EvoHome binding, but they were not repeated on a subsequent restarts.

That is new info to me. Do you have the logs on that one? Otherwise I’ll try to reproduce, but I don’t recall seeing that before. Update: Just tested, but couldn’t reproduce on fresh install.

Just to add, in the Paper UI it still does not show the setpoint. From Neil’s post this is because the setpoint used as a channel is there for future use to actually set a new setpoint.

Indeed, SetPoint is switched off for now, so that the chances that it makes it into the main repo are bigger.

Does this mean that everything works for you as it should now?

I’ll try to fill in the blanks tomorrow about the log issue, that way everything I’m testing/doing is on the same machine for consistency :slight_smile:

I’ll also update my items to reflect the string in SetPointStatus rather than the number and see what that does!

Downloaded base OH2 zip file, unzipped it and then copied the addon and my simple config into the directory.

Run from terminal using ./start.sh

This is the openhab.log that gets generated.
openhab.log.pdf (23.0 KB)

Just to reiterate, it doesn’t stop the binding working and doesn’t happen if I stop OH, clear the logs and the restart OH. I assume it’s just Java being Java and once OH is running it isn’t an issue ever again. I’ve ONLY seen it on the latest version as well.

Just for completeness here’s the PaperUI for the lounge:

And the Basic UI via sitemap for the same room

Hi guys, a small personal update. I’ve seen some issues raised on github which tells me that more people start using the binding. I am very excited to seeing this and it motivates me to continue.

However, with a new house, a new client starting up and a pregnant wife I’m afraid that my time is stretched thin for the upcoming weeks. Moreover, I won’t be owning an evohome for a while since I’m selling my current installation with the house. I’ll try to mock the response data in the intermittent time.

For now, please keep testing and creating issues so we can make this a full featured binding!

Regards, Jasper

Jasper,

I’ll do my best to keep breaking it and getting issues raised.

We’ll see you back soon.

Nick

1 Like

Looks like the binding doesn’t work with the new 2.1 release of OH:

2017-07-12 11:40:08.772 [WARN ] [org.apache.felix.fileinstall        ] - Error while starting bundle: file:/usr/share/openhab2/addons/org.openhab.binding.evohome-2.1.1-SNAPSHOT-2.jar
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.binding.evohome [9]
  Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.google.common.collect

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:434)[org.eclipse.osgi-3.10.101.v20150820-1432.jar:]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.start(EquinoxBundle.java:392)[org.eclipse.osgi-3.10.101.v20150820-1432.jar:]
        at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundle(DirectoryWatcher.java:1253)[4:org.apache.felix.fileinstall:3.5.6]
        at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundles(DirectoryWatcher.java:1225)[4:org.apache.felix.fileinstall:3.5.6]
        at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.doProcess(DirectoryWatcher.java:512)[4:org.apache.felix.fileinstall:3.5.6]
        at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.process(DirectoryWatcher.java:361)[4:org.apache.felix.fileinstall:3.5.6]
        at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.run(DirectoryWatcher.java:312)[4:org.apache.felix.fileinstall:3.5.6]

Restart OH 2.1 for some reason it will work after a restart.