New Infrastructure Status Page

At the end of the day this is an open source project. If you feel strongly about this please take the initiative and and submit a PR. I’m sure it would be welcomed. Or find a developer who is willing to make the necessary changes and have them file a PR.

You can and probably should open an Issue on github. Maybe one of the developers will be willing to implement it. But knowing how much time the two main maintainers of myopenhab.org face, I’m not sure how much spare time they would have to implement something like this.

I wouldn’t know how to begin to code this and was adding my 2cents based on my opinion of the end to end product view from a user/customer pov. I get that with limited resources and time you guys need to prioritise your product backlog and this item may not be the highest priority (from my use of OH it wouldn’t be for me).

This is part of the misunderstanding of how open source projects work. There is no prioritization on what gets worked on and what doesn’t get worked on. There really isn’t a strong direction. For a purely open source project like this that doesn’t have a company paying a team of developers to contribute code to it there is no prioritization.

Each developer who contributes to the project chooses what they want to contribute. Each developer decides on their own what is a priority and what is not a priority. And frankly, the project ends up taking what it can get.

That is why you would need to implement a change like this yourself or find a developer who wants to make a change like this. The maintainers have no ability to say “hey you, go fix Ramz’s issue!” The developer has to volunteer to work on it. The OH team cannot force anyone to work on anything. It is all a volunteer effort and developers donate their own time to contribute to the code. The quickest way to lose a volunteer is to say “I know you want to work on this one feature that is really important to you, but you can’t because these other issues are higher priority.”

there is prioritisation just not a common one. The priorities are made up based on individual developer desires as you stated. That said I’m sure there is discussion about what’s important that leads to someone or someones volunteering to work on an issue or feature. That’s just collaboration and common sense rather than anarchy or chaos.

Which is why I suggested you file an Issue on github. Issues make up the “to do” list for the project.

it’s not a hot issue for me but since I do find the situation ironic, and others in this thread did ask for this I’ll do it. Was meaning to get an account set up anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like