New Inovelli Z-Wave On-Off switches (LZW30), Z-Wave integration with Openhab

Hi Ben,
I’m in openhab installed in debian, and at first the script failed (missing curl) Even after that, was still giving me errors… But I was not going to give up! In the end I temporarily changed openhab user (so I can do su - openhab and get a shell command) and I did install in steps, the serial transport first, then disabled the zwave, finally install the snapshot one (all using your script).I’m a very happy user of LZW30 switch now thanks to you!
Have a great week ahead
Adrian

Thanks, but the real credit goes to 5iver, whose script it is. Several others with far more knowledge than I have helped as well.
I only compiled the various suggestions others have made, into one location.

I’m glad you had some success!

1 Like

@mpenzoh
The dimmer may possibly burn out a bit quicker, or the bulb may flicker if a non 0% or 100% brightness is inadvertently be chosen. You may accidentally move to a non 0/100 value by pressing the switch too long. That should be about it. Your programming in rules can easily set it to 0 or 100, but just setting it to ON (I believe) may set it to the previous brightness - so it may be a good idea to use .SendCommand(100) vs .SendCommand(ON).

One quick question related to my LZW30 success… I added three of these switches wishing they were going to extend my zwave network, but other battery devices don’t seem to use it as a gatewayy (I have a full ticket with network diagram and more - Please help! Set up of a small school with OpenHAB)

Is there a way to “force” this switch to route messages? Or the other battery devices to see the switch? They are very near (less than 10 ft) and still try to connect to the far away HUB…

Any hint will help. Thanks!!!
Adrian

No. Routing is autonomous in a zwave network - you can’t influence it. All devices that support routing should find the most appropriate route to the destination - there’s also nothing you can change in the end devices either.

How do you know that? I’m not aware of anything that shows what routes are being used?

Thank you for the information. What I’m looking for the second point is habmin information on the zwave diagram, that seems to show nearby devices don’t connect to the light switch that is just across the hallway (I tried to put the complete diagram and information on my original post here Please help! Set up of a small school with OpenHAB)
Thank you Chris for taking time to help me out!
Adrian

The HABmin diagram doesn’t show routes - it shows neighbours. Now, I’m sure you’re probably thinking that the neighbours list would be a superset of the routes being used, since a route can’t exist except via a neighbour, but…

The two things (the neighbours list and the routes) are probably separate - I say probably as it depends on the generation of the devices being used. If the devices are reasonably new (let’s say, ZWave+), then routing is normally undertaken by a device searching for routes using what’s called “Explorer Frames”. If the devices in this area of the network are older devices, then this may not be supported, and then the routes are chosen by the controller, and I believe that this configuration will use the neighbour table. The binding just tells the controller “configure a route from node A to node B” - there’s no control over how the route itself is derived.

I’m not sure that helps much, but hopefully it provides some insight at least :wink: .

That is great info! this is my (very horrible) diagram of the school, that is a long hallway. The classrooms that cannot connect (with Gocontrol zwave devices - battery powered) are the ones on the right of the diagram (G8, G6, G9, G7), even if they have the LZW30 (node 12 - electrical switch) very near to them.
When I bring the Gocontrol devices (G8, G6, G9, G7) near the Openhab z-wave master controller, they connect without any trouble…
What I’m trying to understand is how to fix this first… Should I move the server to a central location? (nothing easy maybe I can put the server temporarily in one of the classrooms) - Add more electrical switches? (another brand so they actually repeat the signal)
I tried to enable debug log, but those messages mean nothing to me… Should I upload some?
I feel bad that I’m using your time but I do appreciate your help very very much!

I think maybe we’re getting off topic of this thread, so I’ll respond on your other thread.

One quick question about the LZW30 Inovelli switches - does anybody has experience on how to remove them from the zwave association when they are not recognized properly into openHAB? Do you remove them from their reset option? (20 sec press of the config button?) Any hidden switches or not documented features? And then how do you remove them from the controller tool? Using windows tools?
Thank you very very much!
Adrian

You can exclude the LZW30 by tapping 3 times on the config button.

Full switch reset (20 sec press) works too, but as a general rule, I prefer to avoid that with the openhab zwave binding since it doesn’t always seem to remove cleanly. If you do that, you should confirm removal by using the windows zwave tools.

Sounds good thank you Roy!

No, this should NOT be done.
Excluding a device removes it from the controller and of course from the network.
Resetting without excluding properly leaves the device on your controller and you are getting a ghost node with all those bad consequences.

Fair enough. I don’t like doing that anyway.

Just for reference, any advice in case a device breaks and can’t be excluded properly? Is there a suggested method for removal?

To remove after assorted failures, you may need to use the proprietary software for your z-wave device (ie, z-way, etc).

As a point clarification for @aschmi, I have used my LZW30 switches exactly as you described - to extend my z-wave network to some battery devices, and it is working flawlessly (they are ‘routing’). I completed the initialization phases of the battery devices within a few meters of my z-wave controller, and left them there for a day to see the data to know it was all working well. I think an hour would have worked. I frequently manually woke up the battery devices, to help speed this process. The next day I was seeing everything working well, and so I put them off in the remote corner, and had them continue to work well.

Hi Sihui
Yes I had that, and needed to go the windows route and remove the ghost device… But good advice thanks!

Thank you all who helped - sadly I run out of time and left the school 1/2 automated - all the GoControl z-wave devices near the USB master work properly, and the ones farther away are not connected.
Right now I’m 11,000 km away from the school site visiting my family, and will get back to this project beginning of January
Again this community is amazing.
Thank you again
Adrian

2 Likes

@sihui or @chris I have updated the zwave DB for these switches (ID 1113 and 1118) to include a new parameter. Can you help export when you get a chance (apologies if this is not the right process, still learning!)

Thanks!

Please hit the “Request Approval” button otherwise no reviewer gets notified.

3 Likes

Done, thanks!!

1 Like