New Insteon 2.5+ binding

Are you using a PLM or hub?

I am using PLM. The odd thing was it was working fine under the 1.x binding. I am thinking of reinstalling that to confirm a hardware problem or not. Just to be clear, the 2.x binding is the only one that has been installed so far on the clean setup.

1 Like

The PLM are known to fail after a while. You can try turning on debug logging to see what that is going on. (see https://www.openhab.org/docs/administration/logging.html). DEBUG should be good enough, but maybe TRACE might be needed.

log:set DEBUG org.openhab.binding.insteon

That provided something a little more interesting, it does this over and over after the initialization:

2020-05-01 14:27:51.972 [TRACE] [binding.insteon.internal.driver.Port] - writer timeout expired, asking for retransmit!

2020-05-01 14:27:52.175 [TRACE] [binding.insteon.internal.driver.Port] - retransmitting msg: OUT:Cmd:0x60|

2020-05-01 14:27:52.179 [TRACE] [binding.insteon.internal.driver.Port] - writer waiting for ack.

Good chance it’s something hardware related what port are you using? InsteonPLM used a old serial driver and the new one uses the one that is provided by OH, other than that the code is basically the same between the two versions.

It’s on /dev/ttyUSB0 . I am thinking hardware too. Would you recommend going with a Hub over the PLM as a replacement? Thanks for looking into it for me.

I would not recommend moving to a hub. It just adds latency to the system and has all of the same hardware issues as the PLM (and some of its own)

2 Likes

That’s what I use as well, the PLM is easy to repair. Here’s one of many tutorials: Repairing a failed Insteon PowerLinc Power Line Modem (PLM) 2413U — 1 Project A Week

Oh, fantastic! Thanks for the guide.

Thanks for this assist on this! I was able to repair the modem and the binding is working great now.

I know there are several, but I found this tool useful in rebuilding the Insteon database:

https://www.insteonsoftware.com/index.html

2 Likes

I bit the bullet and upgraded to 2.5.5 and went for the new Insteon binding. Well done. Now the fun part, will there be any ability to add new devices that aren’t supported in the old devices.xml? The gen 2 motion sensor can be paired to the PLM but doesn’t report its state to OH that I’ve figured out. I may just get the Zwave multi sensor and have it trigger Insteon devices through rules.

Hopefully soon, I have one arriving tomorrow. At this point, haven’t been able to find any developer docs, so it will probably take considerable reverse engineering to get it to work.

I’ll take a wild guess and assume you’ve been to the developer page. https://www.insteon.com/developer

Such a bummer it isn’t more open. Zwave and Zigbee have more variety but you’ll have to take my dual band Insteon devices after I’m dead.

Yes, I’ve been searching for any sort of developer documentation, if you can find some let me know.

Something like this?

@ceinstaller

I think the developer documentation you posted significantly pre-dates the Gen2 motion sensor.

Regards,
Burzin

That’s really old, need to find 2844-222 developer documentation.

I done did sent a tweet to @Insteon and @SmarthomeInc asking about support for 2nd gen motion sensor. See if there is a canned response or something helpful.

2 Likes

I’m attempting to setup the new Insteon binding. I installed it and added a network via the paper ui. I then discovered my devices and it found them all. One of my devices is a 2334-232 device (6 button). I set up my items as follows (to control the A, B, C, D buttons):

Switch   GF_LivingRoom_Fan_ButtonHi       "Ceiling Fan Hi"       <fan_ceiling>      (gLivingRoom_Fan_Btn)  ["Switchable"]  {channel="insteon:device:476856:keypadButtonA"}
Switch   GF_LivingRoom_Fan_ButtonMedium   "Ceiling Fan Medium"   <fan_ceiling>      (gLivingRoom_Fan_Btn)  ["Switchable"]  {channel="insteon:device:476856:keypadButtonB"}
Switch   GF_LivingRoom_Fan_ButtonLow      "Ceiling Fan Low"      <fan_ceiling>      (gLivingRoom_Fan_Btn)  ["Switchable"]  {channel="insteon:device:476856:keypadButtonC"}
Switch   GF_LivingRoom_Fan_ButtonOff      "Ceiling Fan Off"      <fan_ceiling>      (gLivingRoom_Fan_Btn)  ["Switchable"]  {channel="insteon:device:476856:keypadButtonD"}

Those buttons are mapped as follows (and work when pushed):

A-Fan High
B-Fan Medium
C-Fan Low
D-Fan Off

However, when I send an ON command to any of these items, the light comes on (which should only happens when the “ON” button is pressed). I’ve tried all the channels and all I can get to happen is for the light to come on.

What am I doing wrong?

Unfortunately this device cannot be completely configured in paperUI. You need to write a .things file to support the buttons (despite paper UI showing them, there is no where for you to configure the group numbers for the buttons)

Here is an example of what to put in your .things file from my own setup:

Thing insteon:device:XXYYZZ "Insteon - Master Bedroom Keypad" (insteon:network:local) [address="xx.yy.zz", productKey="F00.00.15"] {
Channels:
	Type switch : keypadButtonA "Button A" [ group="0xF3" ]
	Type switch : keypadButtonB "Button B" [ group="0xF4" ]
	Type switch : keypadButtonC "Button C" [ group="0xF5" ]
	Type switch : keypadButtonD "Button D" [ group="0xF6" ]

}