New TP-Link Smart Home binding with Bulb, Plug and Switch Support

I have a HS100 with the same fireware version. I suspect your devices got a new ip address from your router after the update. Removing them and re-discovering them should fix this. If you are running 2.4 that version of the binding store the id and if the ip address changes it will update the ip address based on the id. If you are using things files. Then discover the devices with PaperUI, and edit the device. This will show you the id. You can then put that id in your things file.

Hi Hilbrand,

Indeed, I did a reset of the switch and then it could be discovered with Paper UI. Now I can fully control it from OH.

Thanks!

Hey there, I am running 2.4 and wondering where i can find a jar file for the most recent tp link binding as I have a couple for HS103 plugs that are not supported on the 2.4 add on.

@Matt_Foreman

You can find it here:

EDIT: Links removed!

Did you try installing the binding from the Eclipse Marketplace?

@Celaeno1 please remove those links! It won’t work with 2.4.0 and users should install the binding via Market place. That’s why have them in the marketplace!

I found them here. Is this what you meant? https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-pullrequest-local/org/openhab/binding/

Hi @hilbrand,

could you please explain the exact difference between the normal binding and the beta binding (Eclipse Market Place), and why one should choose which version?

One thing that is mentioned in the beta binding description "The jar should work with openHAB 2.4.0" isn’t found in the official documentation. And no hint that there is even a beta version.

OK, all important information are here in this topic, but it’s not clear which devices are supported by which binding version.

The official doesn’t get updates. So when bugs are fixed or new devices are added I add them to the Beta version. Because 2.4 was release last year there are several updates not in the official. The snapshot version closely follows the beta version. That is. There is some time between adding new features and the changes being merged. And because snapshot might not be compatible with older versions of openHAB I provide the Beta with possible support for older openHAB versions. Currently beta and snapshot provide the same features, but beta is modified to be easily installable on 2.4.

There is nothing in the documentation because officially the beta doesn’t exist,. It’s only a service I provide to get users an updated version.

To summarize. Install the official, unless it doesn’t contain devices/features you need. And when you update openHAB check if the updated official has the features and install that instead of the Beta.

1 Like

Hello, I just got a tplink tapo P100 smart plug and I hoped it would work with the tplink binding. Unfortunately, it doesn’t. Has anyone tried it? Or has anyone included it in OH even with another binding?
Thank you

You can try it it works if you add it as a hs100. If it uses the same protocol it might work.

If I add it manually via its IP, it gives me an error:
Status: OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION_ERROR Connection refused (Connection refused)
Do I need to fill the Device Id field? Where can I get this id?
Thank you.

No Iid is not needed. If it doesn’t work it’s likely that it uses a different protocol.

Hi @hilbrand, first let me say ‘THANK YOU’ for maintaining such an awesome binding. I’m getting a ton of use and value from it!

Couple of questions with an associated story from my side:
I was struggling a bit with the HS220; I did install the beta binding from the Eclipse marketplace, but was still having trouble figuring out how to turn the switch ON after it had been turned off; in my experience, the Slider control on the Basic UI works great to turn the light off, but it won’t turn the switch back on; in order to do that, you have to use a Switch control. Bit confusing and unintuitive, but manageable. To solve this, I put some visibility-controlled items in my sitemap:

Switch item=TPL_Dimmer_Lights		visibility=[TPL_Dimmer_Lights < 1]
Slider item=TPL_Dimmer_Lights		minValue=0 maxValue=100 step=5   visibility=[TPL_Dimmer_Lights > 0]

And that seems to work fine, but in my opinion it’s a bit of a bandaid.
So Question 1: is there any plan to update the binding so that using some control to increase the Brightness channel from zero to non-zero first turns the switch ‘on’, and then implements the requested brightness? This would be awesome.

And Question 2: assuming the answer to the above is ‘no’, I’ve created a pull request on Github (I think! - my first ever!, so not entirely sure I did it properly) to update the binding documentation to add a demo.sitemap section that adds the above suggestion.

Thanks for your feedback, and apologies if I’ve missed something along the way, here - I’m not that new to openHAB, but I’m new to Github, and sometimes find the forums here hard to wade through to find the latest and greatest info.

That’s interesting. I hadn’t noticed this, because I use an on/off switch to control my HS220 and rarely touch the brightness levels manually. I tried it just now with the setpoint in my sitemap, and I can see in the log that the switch is receiving the command to increase from 0 to X, but then immediately returns to 0.

2020-02-15 13:00:13.763 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Dimmer_Kitchen_Brightness changed from 0 to 5
2020-02-15 13:00:13.991 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Dimmer_Kitchen_Brightness changed from 5 to 0

I’m on OH 2.5.1.2, so I have the latest stable binding.

Hi
Did you ever get this working on a tapo P100?

Hi! No, I tried when I first got the tapo, but it didn’t work and never tried again.

Since TP-Link bought the Tapo devices and maintained the separate app for them, I’m guessing they can’t be easily rolled in with the Kasa hardware.

@hilbrand, I noticed recently that this behaviour has changed, and setting a non-zero brightness level now causes the HS220 to turn on and not return to zero. Was the binding updated in 2.5.3?

I have a rule that resets my dimmer’s level at sunrise. I noticed one day that every morning the kitchen light was on, which was never the case before. It’s no big deal (I just added an OFF command to the rule), so I forgot to ask until now.

Yes this was changed recently. It was changed because setting it to 0 caused the dimmer to switch off, while settting the dimmer value to a none 0 value didn’t cause it to switch on. So one could slide in the ui to 0 and cause it to switch off, but sliding it back didn’t switch it on. So now it always sends a switch on to the dimmer when a none 0 value dimmer value is set.