New Weather Underground binding for Eclipse SmartHome / openHAB2

This new version of the binding should be available in the IoT Marketplace soon (maybe tomorrow).

Hi! Sounds great, however since Thursday I have no more weather data (even with the new version):

16:46:04.986 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'weatherunderground:weather:Bremen' changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Error in Weather Underground response
Thing weatherunderground:weather:Bremen "Weather Bremen" [ apikey="xxxxxx", location="Germany/Bremen", language="EN" ] 

Haven’t changed the configuration at all.

Enable the debug logs to have more info about what’s wrong in the response but I can imagine that there are now several stations in that City.

Stupid question maybe. But wat is the iot marketplace?

@SpaceGlider : as I have supposed, there are several stations (4) in Bremen and WU does not know what station to use.
Try to set your location configuration setting to one of these values:

• zmw:00000.151.10425
  • zmw:00000.1.10224
  • zmw:00000.52.10546
  • zmw:00000.35.10945

The binding needs to be enhanced to detect such an issue and provide a more precise error message.

@Tomibeck: please read this topic: Distributing bindings through the IoT Marketplace

Thanks, I put my coordinates now and get a reading again! Maybe this should be a remark in the Readme of the binding.

Yes, you’re right, that should be mentioned in the documentation.

Documentation updated (finished).

1 Like

The binding is now available in the marketplace.

So I am trying to get the binding working, here in the backward US, so I would like to have the fahrenheit. Im using the Eclipse smart home designer and as soon as I try and modify my things, it does not seem to work as documented.

Thing weatherunderground:weather:denver "denver" [ apikey="mykeyishere", location="80113", language="EN" ] {
Channels:
    Type temperature : current#temperature [ SourceUnit="F" ]
}

As soon as I have anything after channels it throws an error,

Multiple markers at this line
- mismatched input '#' expecting '}'
- no viable alternative at input 'SourceUnit'
- no viable alternative at input 'temperature'

Thoughts?

I did not test updating my thing file with the smarthome designer.
Are you using a recent version of the designer ?
I will try on my side too. I am using an old version.

I can’t find the version number, however according to the website the current version is .8 released in June of 2016. I downloaded it at the same time as OpenHab2 released so I’m pretty sure its version .8. If I just change my things file like I have it above and restart openhab the binding fails and I have no weather data.

Use at least the official 2.0 version of openHAB.

I thought you were asking about the designer version. I’m running version 2.0.0 of openhab.

What is your thing file when the binding is failing ? What error is mentioned in Paper UI ?

The designer error is one thing (not blocking); the binding loading error is not normal and probably due to an error in your thing file.

So if I try and do anything inside paper ui with the weather underground binding as soon as I hit save it says, Error 409 conflict. I don’t use paperui I normally just use the designer as it gives me more control over things.

I only put in the things file, the line I posted above just Channels and the one temperature item, soon as I do that, binding fails.

Setup your thing fully either with Paper UI or with a thing file.

I will try again with your example thing file.

When you say the binding fails, what error is reported by the binding ?

I could use some advice in that arena, I don’t fully understand the Karaf console. How do I turn on the debug for the weather underground binding, because just watching the log I don’t see any errors, I just look in my sitemap and see that nothing to do with the binding gets populated.

First check the status ​of your thing in Paper UI. If the thing is ONLINE, the binding is working and setup is OK.
Then of course you should have linked channels of your thing to items. You can do it in Paper UI or in config files.
Then you can check the values reported by the binding in Paper UI (control menu).
If you setup your sitemap to include your items, they will be available in any UI (basic UI, …).
To enable debug logs: log:set DEBUG org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.weatherunderground