New Z-Wave Device for OH2: Please add Popp "Z-Rain"

Hello chris,

can you give me an update here?

The two versions are different as I mentioned earlier - neither is “better” - one is a development version with more changes, and the other only has database updates for the most part.

Is the device working now?
Or is something missing?

it is working partly.

see:

But I want to try it again with the fully parameters in the binding. Chris has added them now but I had no time to test it. Maybe then I will get rain messages if it rains not only once a day.

I read somewhere else, that some z-wave devices needed to set the parameters which are set by default through the tool a second time to work well. I hope then I will get values of current rain at the right time.

Now I get them only if I manually wake up the device or wait 24h.

I will report here.

With the newest binding it is working. It looks like I have to send some config parameters to teh device to get it to work.

Hi chris,

coming back from this task

Have you got time to implement “I still need to create the BASIC channel for this device as it strangely only uses the BASIC class - but that is special to this device.” to this device?

Log:
2017-06-05 13:00:07.238 [DEBUG] [ssage.ApplicationCommandMessageClass] - NODE 8: Incoming command class BASIC
2017-06-05 13:00:07.238 [DEBUG] [.commandclass.ZWaveBasicCommandClass] - NODE 8: Received Basic Request
2017-06-05 13:00:07.239 [DEBUG] [.commandclass.ZWaveBasicCommandClass] - NODE 8: Basic Set sent to the controller will be processed as Basic Report
2017-06-05 13:00:07.239 [DEBUG] [.commandclass.ZWaveBasicCommandClass] - NODE 8: Basic report, value = 0x63
2017-06-05 13:00:07.239 [DEBUG] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - Notifying event listeners: ZWaveCommandClassValueEvent
2017-06-05 13:00:07.240 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 8: Got an event from Z-Wave network: ZWaveCommandClassValueEvent
2017-06-05 13:00:07.240 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 8: Got a value event from Z-Wave network, endpoint = 0, command class = BASIC, value = 99

No - ive not looked at this yet sorry.

no problem,

but it would be nice if you can do this in a free minute. Will help me, is better then collection rain rate value. Because rain start command comes more quickly then rain rate change.

I’ve updated the database so it should be included in the next day or so.

thanks a lot. I will give you feedback if it will work.

Hi,

im on latest snapshot #942

is z-rain finally added ?
im trying to include, but its a “unknown device”

Yes, it is included since around two month now.

Only a little change is discussed here:
An additional basic set command is implemented which takes the rain start/stop and heavy rain/start stop command. All the other messages (battery, rainrate, …) are still working with older snapshots.

You need to include it by pressing the button on the device one time, wait some seconds press it again and so on and so on until the device is fully recognized.

Then it will work. For me the first thing I have to do is set parameter 0 to 0 again. Without this is was not really working.

After then it works but makes no sence because the minimun amount of rain to tilte the internal rain sensor is to high. It must rain a very very little bit to tilte. I’ve tested it more time. In real live the rain starts and it takes 1/2h to tilte the sensor or never tilte. Not really useful :wink:

Let me know if yours works better.

thankyou, i just get it included. will test it.
just waiting for rain :smiley:

Still no success with Z-Wave Binding 2.1.0 201706221855 => online, but “Unknown Device”

Maybe you have a different version? What are the device IDs? Are they consistent with the ones in the database?

Hi chris,
I’m back from holiday and tried the BASIC channel.

Your last reply:
“I still need to create the BASIC channel for this device as it strangely only uses the BASIC class - but that is special to this device.”

I cannot find this BASIC channel under things/channel in habmin. Did I miss something? Or should I just add it to my z-wave items file like the others?

Existing, showing in channels and working:
Number DoorSensor13_rainrate { channel=“zwave:device:15a7a49f3a6:node13:sensor_rainrate”}
Number DoorSensor13_general { channel=“zwave:device:15a7a49f3a6:node13:sensor_general”}
Number DoorSensor13_meter_water_qm {channel=“zwave:device:15a7a49f3a6:node13:meter_water_cubic_meters”}
Number DoorSensor13_Battery {channel=“zwave:device:15a7a49f3a6:node13:battery-level”}

I got a brand new one now and tested it. Is recognized and working in habmin if you hit the wake up button several times.

It is well known in paperUI too, but no channels were listed only the device itself.

XML if needed
node13.xml (10.8 KB)

Maybe this will help to find xdxoxkx problem.

1 Like

I did the upgrade to OH2.1 - now its working.
But many thanks for your help.

Hi @chris ,

Is it possible to get this added to OH1? I just downloaded the latest org.openhab.binding.zwave-1.11.0-SNAPSHOT.jar from Cloudbees but it doesn’t work, and as far as I can tell from bundles/binding/org.openhab.binding.zwave/database/popp/ it’s not added. Is this correct?

This is what I get in the logs:
NODE 75: No database entry: POPP [ID:11,Type:4]

If I look for the device in the DB on cd-jackson.com I can see it says “Versions: All”, but I suspect that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s available in OH1, or?

Best regards,
Andreas

It can be added to OH1 - someone just needs to copy the definition and create a PR.

However, in OH1 the database is only used to display a nice name, and to provide parameters for configuration - it’s not used for the actual control (etc) of the device at all. So, if you can’t get it working, then adding the database won’t actually help here.