New Z-Wave Device for OH2: Please add Popp "Z-Rain"

Thanks Chris for answering! The default set-up is working but I would love to be able to configure it and set the association groups. What does copy the definition and create a PR mean? Create a problem report and attach the XML generated?

It means to copy the XML that the database generates and create a Pull Request on Github. Donā€™t worry though - Iā€™ve done it :slight_smile:

Thanks! Very much appreciated! :slight_smile:

No problem - let me know if thereā€™s any problemsā€¦

Just downloaded the latest from Cloudbees and it works just fine, thanks again! Now Iā€™m the only one in the family looking forward to get some rain :smile:

1 Like

Hi guys,
Iā€™m the one looking for a Z-wave rain sensor for my ceiling window. Iā€™ve read here, that beyond binding problems this POPP device is also not really sensitive and thus not really useful. I just want to close the window when it rains. So rain sensor must send a command to controller when it feels the rain. Can you confirm that such thing is possible or not? I liked this device, because itā€™s battery powered. Otherwise I need to look for some power. Thanks for feedback.

The rain sensor is working. But:

Is need to rain a little bit before the sensor tirggers. Technical it is solved as a see-saw. If enough water is on this, than it can detect this.

For me this is working. But if you must detect the very first rain, this is not for you. It takes some rain drops to detect rain.

This is how nearly all rain measurement works. If you want to measure moisture, then you need a different sensor (such as the so called ā€œwet leafā€ sensor).

OH: 1.8.3
Platform information: Win10 64bit / 32GB RAM / intel Z270 / M2e SSD
Java Runtime Environment: 1.8.0_152
Binding version: zWave 1.10.0.201704070111

Dear all

Iā€™m still struggling with getting this sensor working in OH 1.8.3 Iā€™m getting only a value for battery but nothing else.

At the moment the sensor stands in the lavatory and gets continuously drops - I would say every 30sec the seesaw is producing a switch - now for more than 6 hours.

Can you please help me with some advise?

• inclusion in zWave Network is done - and I think here everything is correct

• my item config seems to work, at least for battery Iā€™m getting values

Number Regenmenge_aktuell					"Regenmenge: aktuell [%.1f mm/h]"				(gRainMeter)		{zwave="9:command=sensor_rainrate"}
Number Regenmenge_total						"Regenmenge: gesamt [%.1f mm/m^2]"				(gRainMeter)		{zwave="9:command=sensor_general"}
Number Regenmenge_Kubikmenter				"Regenmenge: in Kubikmeter [%.4f m^3]"			(gRainMeter)		{zwave="9:command=meter_water_cubic_meters"}
Number Regenmenge_StatusBattery				"Regenmengenmesser Status Batterie [%d %%]"		(gRainMeter)		{zwave="9:command=battery"}

ā†’ maybe someone can confirm that Iā€™m using the right zWave-commands?

I didnā€™t get this part - what needs to be set to 0 again?

In the log file I can find the following errors:

2017-12-03 14:37:25.800 [ERROR] [.i.ZWaveGenericBindingProvider] - Regenmenge_aktuell: Invalid command class 'SENSOR_RAINRATE'
2017-12-03 14:37:25.801 [ERROR] [i.internal.GenericItemProvider] - Binding configuration of type 'zwave' of item Ņ’egenmenge_aktuellŃ could not be parsed correctly.
org.openhab.model.item.binding.BindingConfigParseException: command=sensor_rainrate is not a valid argument.
	at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.ZWaveGenericBindingProvider.processBindingConfiguration(ZWaveGenericBindingProvider.java:117) ~[na:na]
	at org.openhab.model.item.internal.GenericItemProvider.internalDispatchBindings(GenericItemProvider.java:348) [org.openhab.model.item_1.8.3.jar:na]
	at org.openhab.model.item.internal.GenericItemProvider.internalDispatchBindings(GenericItemProvider.java:324) [org.openhab.model.item_1.8.3.jar:na]
	at org.openhab.model.item.internal.GenericItemProvider.processBindingConfigsFromModel(GenericItemProvider.java:171) [org.openhab.model.item_1.8.3.jar:na]
	at org.openhab.model.item.internal.GenericItemProvider.modelChanged(GenericItemProvider.java:390) [org.openhab.model.item_1.8.3.jar:na]
	at org.openhab.model.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl.notifyListeners(ModelRepositoryImpl.java:159) [org.openhab.model.core_1.8.3.jar:na]
	at org.openhab.model.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl.addOrRefreshModel(ModelRepositoryImpl.java:100) [org.openhab.model.core_1.8.3.jar:na]
	at org.openhab.model.core.internal.folder.FolderObserver.checkFolder(FolderObserver.java:142) [org.openhab.model.core_1.8.3.jar:na]
	at org.openhab.model.core.internal.folder.FolderObserver.run(FolderObserver.java:99) [org.openhab.model.core_1.8.3.jar:na]
2017-12-03 14:37:25.801 [ERROR] [.i.ZWaveGenericBindingProvider] - Regenmenge_total: Invalid command class 'SENSOR_GENERAL'
2017-12-03 14:37:25.801 [ERROR] [i.internal.GenericItemProvider] - Binding configuration of type 'zwave' of item Ņ’egenmenge_totalŃ could not be parsed correctly.
org.openhab.model.item.binding.BindingConfigParseException: command=sensor_general is not a valid argument.
	at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.ZWaveGenericBindingProvider.processBindingConfiguration(ZWaveGenericBindingProvider.java:117) ~[na:na]
	at org.openhab.model.item.internal.GenericItemProvider.internalDispatchBindings(GenericItemProvider.java:348) [org.openhab.model.item_1.8.3.jar:na]
	at org.openhab.model.item.internal.GenericItemProvider.internalDispatchBindings(GenericItemProvider.java:324) [org.openhab.model.item_1.8.3.jar:na]
	at org.openhab.model.item.internal.GenericItemProvider.processBindingConfigsFromModel(GenericItemProvider.java:171) [org.openhab.model.item_1.8.3.jar:na]
	at org.openhab.model.item.internal.GenericItemProvider.modelChanged(GenericItemProvider.java:390) [org.openhab.model.item_1.8.3.jar:na]
	at org.openhab.model.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl.notifyListeners(ModelRepositoryImpl.java:159) [org.openhab.model.core_1.8.3.jar:na]
	at org.openhab.model.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl.addOrRefreshModel(ModelRepositoryImpl.java:100) [org.openhab.model.core_1.8.3.jar:na]
	at org.openhab.model.core.internal.folder.FolderObserver.checkFolder(FolderObserver.java:142) [org.openhab.model.core_1.8.3.jar:na]
	at org.openhab.model.core.internal.folder.FolderObserver.run(FolderObserver.java:99) [org.openhab.model.core_1.8.3.jar:na]
2017-12-03 14:37:25.801 [ERROR] [.i.ZWaveGenericBindingProvider] - Regenmenge_Kubikmenter: Invalid command class 'METER_WATER_CUBIC_METERS'
2017-12-03 14:37:25.801 [ERROR] [i.internal.GenericItemProvider] - Binding configuration of type 'zwave' of item Ņ’egenmenge_KubikmenterŃ could not be parsed correctly.
org.openhab.model.item.binding.BindingConfigParseException: command=meter_water_cubic_meters is not a valid argument.

Any advise for me?

Thanks & Regards
John

my remark belongs to OH2.1, this settings do not exist in OH1.8

@chris As the ultimative zWave Pro may I ask you to have a look at my problem and log file?

The problem is youā€™ve tried to use some sort of mixed OH2 and OH1 configurations. You are defining command class types that are actually OH2 channels, so you get the error that the command is wrongly parsed.

You need to read up on the OH1 configuration files, and then set the command classes appropriate for the needs of the device.

egā€¦

zwave="9:command=sensor_rainrate"

The sensor_rainrate is an OH2 channel. It is linked to SENSOR_MULTILEVEL, so you should have -:

zwave="9:command=SENSOR_MULTILEVEL

On top of this (as per the wiki) you need to add the sensorType=RAIN_RATE argument.

Iā€™m sorry but seems to be that Iā€™m too stupid to understand what you mean. In openhab.cfg the zWave part is configured and this seems to be correct. About which configuration file are you talking here?

Ok, changed and error disappear. But I still donā€™t get any dataā€¦ Maybe this is related to next point?

Where do I have to add this argument? I have read the zWave Wiki multiple times and yes I have seen the part in SENSOR_MULTILEVEL ā€œ12 = RainRateā€ but I donā€™t get it here how the syntax has to be used. Is it this way?

{ zwave="9:12:command=SENSOR_MULTILEVEL" }

Thanks & regards
John

I was mainly referring to the items - basically you were using OH2 configuration with OH1ā€¦

Take a look at the examples wiki page. It shows examples for setting up a weather station on OH1 and you should be able to simply follow this.

The OH1 ZWave wiki talks about the meaning of the configuration. You might also want to look at the item configuration section which explains the different sections.

I hope this helpsā€¦

Thanks @chris for the links to the wiki and the example. I had checked the zwave wiki but this part was not present to me.

Meanwhile I read all the examples and tried to figure out which is right configuration for my device:

Number Regenmenge_aktuell					"Regenmenge: aktuell [%.1f mm/h]"				(gRainMeter)		{zwave="9:command=SENSOR_MULTILEVEL,sensor_type=12"}
Number Regenmenge_total						"Regenmenge: gesamt [%.1f mm/m^2]"				(gRainMeter)		{zwave="9:command=meter"}
Number Regenmenge_Kubikmenter				"Regenmenge: in Kubikmeter [%.4f m^3]"			(gRainMeter)		{zwave="9:command=meter, meter_scale=W_Cubic_Meters"}
Number Regenmenge_StatusBattery				"Regenmengenmesser Status Batterie [%d %%]"		(gRainMeter)		{zwave="9:command=battery"}

Actually Iā€™m pretty confident that this now correct but I still donā€™t get any data.

The z-Rain is very close to the controller, standing under a dropping tap - but not data are sent (beside battery).

Any further hints what is wrong here?

Thanks & regards
John

It looks ok I think, but if thereā€™s no data being received, then maybe thereā€™s issues with configuring the association?

If thereā€™s no data being received, and the device supports associations, then configure the associaiton. If it requires polling, then add the polling configuration. If there is data received, then letā€™s take a look at the debug logā€¦

Hi all.
Iā€™m waking up this old thread to ask if this device does what it should for the rest of you? I bought one about a year ago and it has been a complete headache from day one. Including it was no problem and OH recognized it properly and sometimes it actually sends values, but most of the time it sends nothing at all. Now I have it right beside the controller just for testing (and since itā€™s not raining inhouse Iā€™m manually tilting the rocker) but I get nothing. Iā€™m also watching it using Zniffer and it really sends nothing at all. The only time it seems to send anything is when I remove the batteries and put them back again, then I get a battery report.

So, is it only my device being broken or IS it this bad?