New z-wave device needed and existing device to be renamed

Hi @chris,

Attatched are a couple XML files for the Leviton VRCZ4 (4 zone controller) and the VRCS4 (4 scene controller). It looks like the scene controller is 0[7/8]02 and the zone controller is 0[7/8]01 is the zone controller. This is based on my two devices and the comment on device 197 by Tom Mauti.

I think device 197 needs to be renamed ā€œVRCS4ā€ and a new device created for ā€œVRCZ4ā€.

VRCZ4: network_f1f3c5ef__node_30_vrcz4.xml (6.7 KB)

VRCS4: network_f1f3c5ef__node_31_vrcs4.xml (6.5 KB)

Instruction sheets:
VRCZ4: LevitonVRCZ4_Installation_Instructions.pdf (909.7 KB)

VRCS4: DI-031-VRCS4-02F-W.pdf (209.9 KB)

Iā€™m assuming I can rename the VRCZ4 db entry to VRCS4 and create a new one for VRCZ4 but wanted to confirm with you first.

Thanks,
Reeves

Hi Reeves,
Ok, thanks for the clear info. I saw your comment on this on the database site. To be honest Iā€™m having trouble telling the difference between these two :wink:

I note that all the text and the files on device 197 all refer to the VRCZ4 - why do you want to change it? ie what makes this entry correct for the VRCS4. The information in the overview etc has presumably been pasted from the VRCZ4 manual, so itā€™s not just a case of changing the name. If itā€™s just the image (for example - although the image on the site looks the same as the VRCZ4 data sheet, so I think this is also right) then we can change that. Or is the endpoints - although given the two XML files you posted appear to show the same classes, these devices are apparently the same? (at least the command classes shown in the NIF are exactly the same).

Yes - this should be fine, but Iā€™d like to understand why the current entry is the wrong name firstā€¦

I did this for the FGRM222 (renamed to FGR222) a couple of month ago and this caused some confusion when people are updating their zwave binding because they are seeing an error:

So please have in mind that renaming will affect all users with this device :grinning:

Hi Chris and SiHui,

Yeah, I definitely donā€™t want to break the configurations of others, so let me see if I can explain a bit better so you can point me in the right direction.

The two Leviton controllers are very similar, but they have different button types on them. The zone controller (MRCZ4) has rocker switches with one side corresponding to off and the other corresponding to on. The scene controller has 4 toggle buttons.

On the MRCZ4 (left) you press the left side of the button for on and right side for off. On the MRCS4 (right) the buttons have no rocker, they just toggle a scene on and off.
LevitonVRCZ4 VRCS4-MRZthumb

Why do I suggest changing item 197?
The ID on my MRCS4 matches 197 (if Iā€™m reading it correctly). In the comments of item 197 another user notes that it matches the ID of his MRCS4 also. The ID on my MRCZ4 does not match 197, this is what lead me to believe the entry had been mis-named when created. Note: Iā€™m not sure if it was obvious, but I put the name of the controller type on the XML files I uploaded.

Looking at the conformance statements on the z-wave alliance site it looks like the VRCS4 supports 12 command classes while the VRCZ4 supports 13. Perhaps that gives a way to tell if item 197 is correctly labeled?

Thanks,
Reeves

But in the devices themselves, it seems to be the sameā€¦ The one that is missing in the 12 command class version is the BASIC command class which neither report in their NIF that they supportā€¦ The ZWave alliance site is not a reliable reference.

At the end of the day, I donā€™t mind renaming the devices - so long as everything is consistent in the end. Another option is to delete the current one and add both :wink: (when I delete an entry, it is not really deleted - just marked deleted, so we can get it back).

Let me know what you prefer.

1 Like

For most things I usually lean towards deleting and starting fresh to remove any legacy errors. Iā€™m not sure how much the database schema has changed over the years, but given that there are approved devices which have errors Iā€™m guessing youā€™ve made some improvements since the entry was added. :wink:

Not really - I increased the error level to try and enforce a higher level of quality. Eg I now wonā€™t approve devices unless people fill in the overview/inclusion/exclusion information.

The only real change I can think of to the schema is the addition of the category. Again, this is enforced for future updates but there are many devices that donā€™t have this filled in yet.

Ok. Iā€™m easy, whichever way you think best. Iā€™ll start with editing the existing and adding a new one.

Cheers,
Reeves

I am new to openhab and z-wave and am setting up my configuration. I have some VRCZ4-M0 4-Zone Controllers and when I try to add them, I am getting a log message:

Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! 001D:0702:0261::0.2
Should this device be recognized as a VRCZ4?

Itā€™s in the database here, but the type:id are not there for your device (i.e. 0702:0261)

Iā€™ll update the database. The change wonā€™t be reflected in the binding until Chris does an update.

Are you running a openHAB release or a snapshot build? If a snapshot build, you can update the binding in the Karaf console as described in my post here.

Edit: Wait. That type:id is already associated with a device. Let me look into it further.

Thank you.

I am running a release, so I will have to wait for a an update.

Hmm. That type:id (0702:0261) is already associated with the VRCS4 in the database here.

Are you sure your device is a VRCZ4?

Also, since the type:id is in the DB (but for the VRCS4), the device should be recognized.

I received that log message with that type:id and the documentation says VRCZ4-M0. I just reset everything including my Z-Stick Gen5 and attempted to add the device through the openHab interface (rather than using the button on the USB stick). Now I am getting:

Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! 7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF::0.0

On the VRCZ4 the first 4 buttons are rocker buttons, versus the VRCS3, which has push buttons. Does yours have the rocker buttons?

Iā€™m not sure why itā€™s not being discovered.

It has rocker buttons.

Ok, then I think the database might be incorrect.

@chris or @sihui Not knowing how this will affect anyone else, Iā€™m hesitant to move type:id 0702:0261 from the VRCS4 to the VRCZ4. Clearly though, @RichDiedrich has a VRCZ4 (it has the rocker buttons), and the device reported type:id 0702:0261, which currently is associated with the VRCZ4.

WDYT?

Not sure why this would be the case, since it got the manuf:type:id earlier. Letā€™s see if we can get the DB sorted out first.

I think what Iā€™ve done in the past in such situations is to make the change, but add some references in the comments section so if/when someone complains, we can try and work out how to properly resolve it. Given we have no reference at the moment as to who added these IDs, we can do much else other than use the information that we currently know (ie VRCZ4=0702:0261).

This is indicative of the binding not having initialised the device - probably the device needs to be woken up if it was reinitialised.

Thanks, makes sense. Iā€™ll move 0702:0261 from the VRCS4 to the VRCZ4, and also add a comment to both devices.

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s a mains device. Maybe he should exclude it, factory reset the device, then include again.

Ok, I made the changes to the databaseā€¦

It could be that the device that wasnā€™t initializing was flaky. I did try another of my VRCZ4-M0 (rocker switch) devices and it is showing up as 001D:0702:0261::0.2. When I push the rocker switch (both left or right), I get the following messages in the log:

2018-09-21 09:04:39.081 [WARN ] [tocol.commandclass.ZWaveCommandClass] - NODE 11: Unsupported command class REMOTE_ASSOCIATION_ACTIVATE

2018-09-21 09:04:39.088 [WARN ] [tocol.commandclass.ZWaveCommandClass] - NODE 11: Unknown command class 0x91