New Z-Way Binding

@mrwee I think you are right. I really like the z-way binding because z-way have a commercial support but at the end, the solution is much more unstable than native z-wave support. The problem is that I use z-way to integrate 2 different controllers into a single interface/rules and I think I have no other alternatives.

Hello @Kai and @pathec, @Wire82 .
Does someone have any update regarding the z-way binding?

Is it better to move away from this? I’m running 2 zway controller and that binding was the only “practical” way to use both.

Kind regards
A.

1 Like

Hello everybody,

I had the same problems as you. First I had the z-way server in use then the zwave openhab binding. Both did not work properly. Not to mention that I wanted to feed a test system with the same data.

Now I have built the perfect solution for me.

I’ve written a python software that connects to the z-way server, processes the data and then sends it to a mqtt broker.

As a broker I have installed mosquitto. The broker runs on the same computer as the z-way server

In openhab, I installed the mqtt binding and now i can access the data of the broker.

Parallel to this, my test system can also access the data of the broker.

In addition, it is now possible to write test values ​​directly in the broker to simulate certain situations.

Maybe it helps someone

PS: For my onwire owserver I have now written a similar software.

1 Like

I have now implemented a periodic device update into the mqtt software. You can specify which parameters of a device you want to update how often.

Hello together,

i have some Danfoss devices but i don’t find a solution with zway binding to control them. I read in docs that there is only get no set. But i like to set setpoints for my thermostats.

Swen

maybe try the standard zwave binding? zway is a hack, Chris’s zwave binding is top notch

What does that mean exectly? I use zway as main. Must i uninstall zway first then complete renew all with zwave binding?

Essentially yes (you can change the order a bit to minimize downtime).
In a nutshell, you must stop the z-way server (assuming it’s on the same HW as OH runs), uninstall zway binding, delete ZWay’s ZWave things, install zwave binding, discover ZWave things, add ZWave items (or change Z-Way items to their respective zwave channel).

OK thanks for this hint, that sounds not so bad as i aspected.

I would stick with the Z-Way solution. Of course there are some problems regarding the integration into openHAB, but there have also been problems with the zwave binding. That’s why I went Z-Way. This is a certified software solution which needs to be connected to openHAB.

I would suggest MQTT. Install it on Z-Way and openHAB. Then there is a decoupled solution. It works for me for months now.

I need to say, that I didn’t use the zwave binding in a while. Maybe it is way better now with the Z-Way shields. But those days I had a zwave USB Stick.

Just my 2 cents. Before you do a full reconfigure.

Greets
André

Thanks for you reply @devTechi. The zway binding was massiv to slow. I need data of my PIRs in real-time. In the meanwhile i had a MQTT setup, but i cant control my heaters. Years ago i write a small script where i can get data from ZWAY API. My plan is now to execute scripts via curl, to control the heaters.

Your information is pretty outdated. Many OH users run the ZWave binding, way more than there are Z-Way users. Swimming with the mainstream is (almost) always a good idea as you can already see when it comes to your need to get others to help with debugging your problems like lagginess or to get new devices integrated.

Well. I used to use the Zwave binding too. But this is an own implementation. Nothing against it, because this is much work and much effort. Zway is an official software and should always support every device (as long as there are no chip changes).

Zway is also able to work without OH. Of course we cannot talk about the rules etc. in there.

Decoupling those things is a good thing in my oppinion, but it needs to work (@Wikibear).

@mstormi: Is the Zwave-binding able to work with the RaspPi Zway/Zwave shield? I didn’t look that up.
The work of @chris is great. The binding and HABmin. But 2 years ago or something like that I had to switch, because of some bugs. I don’t know them exactly anymore.

Some months ago I had too switch to mqtt with the Zway binding as well as it isn’t maintained anymore and there have been some major changes in the underlying system.

Just for some background information

I don’t know what is more “official” about ZWay but so does OH’s ZWave binding.
But every SW needs to be maintained/updated with device specific data to (fully) support new devices.

Of course, I myself have been using it for several years now.

At the moment i must migrate all devices and rules to openhab. I have massive amount of zway devices and i will do the at the end. I need time for migration but i don’t have much. :wink: At the end: Zway Binding is totally slow… I decide to use MQTT and go over slowly to openhab if i’m ready.

My decided my following solution. MQTT and Zwave REST API via http request and my own bash script. That works very well and I am independent from OpenHAB. Fast response via MQTT I like it.

Hi. I recently migrated from the Z-Way Binding to the Z Wave Binding, with Markus’ help. Unfortunately, the recent changes in ZWay, means all it’s Apps are broken. This forced me to switch. It was a little painful, but only because I tried to short-cut what I know I should have done.
Star from scratch. Build the ZWay network up from scratch again. Especially if you are upgrading to 3.0.0. I think my devices got a bit jumped during that upgrade. There a few comments on ZWay about unstable networks or problems after the upgrade.
Then start the Z Wave Binding from scratch in OH. Ensure you have removed any old Z Wave binding and Z Wave things.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it isn’t. It took me a fraction of the time to build it from scratch than it did trying to bug fix. Having made the switch, I wouldn’t look back. Works like a charm, smooth and simple. The network I would say is now more stable than it was under the ZWay Binding.

Running it through MQTT, sounds like a real pain in the rear end. Why complicate your build?

It isn’t complicated and work also. Heater works I’m lucky with my solution. :slight_smile: I open my zwave for MQTT also and this was a benefit, too.

Of course it is, that’s a really broken architecture and prone to many types of errors.
BTW openHAB can directly do MQTT as well.

Can someone give me a hint how MQTT (I know Wifi-Devices for sure) is comming now in Z-Wave or Z-Way?

Is this one still relevant? Or does the Binding re Response now by itself (no polling I mean)