Newbie help required on Mios Bindings item generation

I’m new to OpenHab, I’ve successfully installed Openhabian on a Pi3 and am up and running. I’m a vera user so need the Mios bindings. I’ve my Veras entered in the config file and I have the 3 files needed to do item generation from GitHub but where can I run the generation files? I have a Windows PC and the Pi - I figure I have to run them on Linux but how? Despite hours reading about Linux, trawling the community site and trying stuff I can’t figure it. I know this is a really silly question but my whole install is now stalled :frowning:

Hi Mark,

a long time since I´ve did this; and I have my vera retired now - but let´s see if I can be of some help …
While it is possible to do this on windows 10 with the linux subsystem I recommend to do it on a native linux.

At which step do you fail to generate the items? Is it possible to execute ./miosLoad.sh 192.168.1.100? Of course you´ll need your vera IP(s). That should generate a .xml file with some raw data.

With ./miosTransform.sh house you should then be able to transform this raw data to a .items file that you can use as a basis for your config; some manual tweaks are needed if I remember right.

Please check also https://github.com/openhab/openhab1-addons/tree/master/bundles/binding/org.openhab.binding.mios/examples/scripts to check the system pre-requisits:

• bash
  • curl
  • xsltproc

As said - a long time ago I did this; in worst case the new vera units are not compatible anymore. Please provice some more details where you have problems and what error messages you get.

with kind regards,
Patrik

Really appreciate a response Patrick - I’ve put the necessary files in a share where I log in to the Raspberry, I run the first file and get a command not found error

So then I thought I could use a Linux emulator like Cygwin. I only did a base install so I figure I might be missing components. I get exactly the same error there as well.
(I’m starting to wonder if I should ditch my 2 Veras and move everything over - it’s only the re-pairing of the Z-wave kit that’s stopping me)
Does that help any further in working out what I need to do
Many thanks & Regards
Mark

do you have the same problem if you use “./miosLoad.sh …” => the ./ might make a difference

It should be possible to transfer the controller without the need to repair the devices; but for raspery someone else would have to help you with that. But I would recommend this …

Pretty much similar result…

did you download the file with windows? Then you might need to convert the line format to unix style (e.g. with notepad++)

For the zwave thing … have a look for controller shift.

I downloaded it in raw form, pasted it into Visual Code Studio then saved it to the different locations from there. Interestingly with Cygwin I get this now:

sorry … the file format was my last idea :frowning:- still; I recommend to invest in the controller shift rather than the inclusion of the vera. Anyhow - backup your zwave network prior to attempt any such operation!

with kind regards,
Patrik

Thank Patrik - I’m really glad you dropped by, I think I can retire both Veras and one way or another control everything I want through OpenHAB. Unless I suddenly fall on a way to make the binding work I’m going to buy a Gen 5 stick and go for it as I looked at controller shift and I agree it’s a smoother solution overall.
Kind Regards
Mark